School Me On Guided Sharpeners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chumango

School Me On Guided Sharpeners

Post by Chumango »

I have sharpened freehand for many years, since Buck's 440C was the best thing going (like the 110 I purchased in 1976). Arkansas stones. Then eventually DMT when the more recent steels started coming out, and even a belt sander (but it is easy to mess up blades with it).

What I want:

- An effective way to reprofile thick edges to give a consistent edge angle and clean, even bevels. This would be its main purpose.

- Adjustable angle, preferably no more than 15 DPS to set the main bevel (a little smaller would be a plus).

- Will probably end up using diamonds.

- The ability to use more than "store brand" stones would probably be a plus unless the stock stones are good, reasonably priced, and have a reasonable service life.

- I don't need superhigh grits. As it is I finish at 1200 grit at most.

I will probably do normal edge maintenance on my benchstones. It is what I know, I get good results, and setup/cleanup is a snap.

Edge Pro, KME, Hapstone, Wicked edge, etc. - a dizzying array of expensive options.

Pro/con of the different systems?
awa54

Re: School Me On Guided Sharpeners

Post by awa54 »

I looked at all of the "good" systems that are easily found in the US market and decided on the Hapstone. I've been very happy with it, the price is right, construction quality is excellent and they reworked the Edge Pro concept in a thoughtful way. There are tons of stones available in the EP format and the Hap can also clamp plain stones fairly well.

My favorite abrasive for this system is the Venev bonded diamond, it's an excellent compromise of cutting speed, slow wear and price, plus there are available grits from extremely coarse to 1 micron.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Joey

Post by Joey »

Personally I use the KME guided system. I found the starter pack to be exactly what you need, and no more. Everything else required can be found around nearly anyone’s home. The 4 included diamond stones (140/300/600/1500 grit included. 100/50 grit options are available, but that 50 grit is like sand glued to metal) are excellent at staying flat, and taking off metal fast with little to no upkeep (no need for lube of any sort, though you can use lube to collect metal shavings) as you only need to clean the on occasion. From there I use the sharpmaker up to ultra fine in some cases and get some REALLY nice razor edges.
That said, I feel the price is a bit high. The item works as it should, but it’s just an odd looking thing made with an amalgam of generic parts. There are some obvious customized pieces, but like I said it just looks a bit silly.
I do love how I can sharpen knives while sitting on my couch with this system.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Another KME user here. Agree on the "basic" kit containing everything you *need*.
I am thinking about adding lapping films to my setup, but again, the basic kit includes everything i need to give my knives symmetrical edges that i can touch up on the Sharpmaker.
The way i see it, one disadvantage with all the guided systems is that repeatability isn't like granted. You will have to set it up again when resharpening as a wee difference in how and where you clamp the blade can (and will) result in slightly altered angle. I first noticed on my Byrd Raven, which had almost two different profiles at once on the last inch toward the tip.
I ended up reprofiling just enough to get a even bevel all along the edge, and from then on i have touched it up on the Sharpmaker.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I use a Hapstone and echo what awa54 said. ;)

Personally, I would not buy any system that holds the blade in a clamp and utilises short narrows hones. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Chumango, i have bought the Wicked Edge system a year ago. It is very well suited to reprofile an edge evenly. It uses diamond stones up to 1000 grit. The 1200 grit is ceramic stone. You can also buy placeholders so you can use your own abrasives. The minimum angle you can use depends on the height of the blade. My experience is that 15 degrees is always possible. For stropping with the system you want to use a lower degree . This is not always possible. You will hit the clamp sometimes. A drawback of this guided system is that it is very expensive. Also to set it up takes up to 5 minutes. That is why for maintenance i use my Spyderco Sharpmaker.
I cannot relate the Wicked Edge to other guided systems.

Hope this gives you some information.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:55 am

Personally, I would not buy any system that holds the blade in a clamp and utilises short narrows hones. :)
I hear you re short stroke stones. However i have sharpened knives with slight recurve on the KME (i guess) possible because the stones are narrow.
Now, i have never used Hapstone/Edge Pro type sharpeners, but i can see the potential for the blade rocking/shifting since basically you are the "clamp" :)
I am not dissing on them, just thinking aloud. The edges i have produced with KME are both even and symmetric, luck, skill or the fear of getting the blade setup skewed exaggerated - i don't know.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:09 am
Bloke wrote:

I hear you re short stroke stones. However i have sharpened knives with slight recurve on the KME (i guess) possible because the stones are narrow.
Now, i have never used Hapstone/Edge Pro type sharpeners, but i can see the potential for the blade rocking/shifting since basically you are the "clamp" :)
I am not dissing on them, just thinking aloud. The edges i have produced with KME are both even and symmetric, luck, skill or the fear of getting the blade setup skewed exaggerated - i don't know.
Hey Larry,

My dislike of systems that utilise a clamp stems from butting heads with a Lansky (x3) for about a decade. Thought in all fairness I ended up with nice, even, sharp edges but it was often enough a time consuming exercise in frustration.

I understand your concern for possible blade rock with Edge Pro style systems. I work off the knives flat grind and the Hapstone has a fairly strong magnet. Plus I sharpen with both right and left hands and to date all’s been well. So maybe I’ve been lucky too.

I know I’m usually quick to discourage anyone from buying any sharpeners that use clamps even though I’m fully aware of the excellent result obtainable, but ... as above. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:48 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Bloke wrote:

Hey Larry,

My dislike of systems that utilise a clamp stems from butting heads with a Lansky (x3) for about a decade. Thought in all fairness I ended up with nice, even, sharp edges but it was often enough a time consuming exercise in frustration.

I understand your concern for possible blade rock with Edge Pro style systems. I work off the knives flat grind and the Hapstone has a fairly strong magnet. Plus I sharpen with both right and left hands and to date all’s been well. So maybe I’ve been lucky too.

I know I’m usually quick to discourage anyone from buying any sharpeners that use clamps even though I’m fully aware of the excellent result obtainable, but ... as above. :)
Yeah, i see your point/s..
I guess you form an opinion based on your first experience to some extent. I used a Lansky a long time ago and found it lacking in a lot of ways, from it's rattly guide rods and "barely ballpark" angle holes to the cumbersome jaws. In spite of that, and being a yellowbelly generally when it comes to servicing my knives, i got the KME and i must say to me it is everything the Lansky could/should have been. Like infinitely adjustable angle, ONE rod, which runs in a bushing, and the jaws that are so superior to the Lansky it's unbelievable. I got the pen knife jaws for it a while back, took a minute to change jaws, and i was able to sharpen my old Irish Stag pen knife :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm in the same boat as you Chumango, I'm not sure what's going on with me but I can't seem to get it done on the Sharpmaker anymore. I rotate my knives frequently and normally touch them up after each days use. I'm now 4 knives behind "schedule" because I'm struggling mightily with 2. Time to step up to something better. I will be following this thread very closely!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:

Same here, thanks to you Bloke. ;)

I've never worked with other guided systems, so I can't give a comparison, but the Hapstone works great and is very solid. Like awa54 I use the Venev bonded diamond stones - I find they cut a lot faster than the SiC ones it came with.

One thing I'm finding out is that even a guided system takes a lot of patience, practice, and skill to get the best results.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Nate

Post by Nate »

Here is the guided sharpening system I often use for reprofiling or for heavily dulled blades that would take too long on the Sharpmaker. Angled blocks made out of scrap from my buddy's shop. An easily expandable system that's dead simple to use and compatible with most stones, total cost: $0.00

:spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 am
Bloke wrote:

I've never worked with other guided systems, so I can't give a comparison, but the Hapstone works great and is very solid. Like awa54 I use the Venev bonded diamond stones - I find they cut a lot faster than the SiC ones it came with.

One thing I'm finding out is that even a guided system takes a lot of patience, practice, and skill to get the best results.
Shoot, I was just watching a couple Youtube videos on the Hapstone after checking it out...I was encouraged it would be fairly simple! Some really nice perks on that, that other more expensive systems don't have.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:20 am
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 am
Bloke wrote:

Shoot, I was just watching a couple Youtube videos on the Hapstone after checking it out...I was encouraged it would be fairly simple! Some really nice perks on that, that other more expensive systems don't have.

It is simple to use, and it doesn't take any skill at all to keep the bevels perfectly consistent, which is great. Takes a huge amount of human error out of it right there.

But otherwise, it's not a magic system that will automatically get your knives hair whittling sharp. Getting to the apex properly without damaging it, using the right pressure and grit progression, removing the burr... all this still takes some practice and experience to get right.

The good thing is, you can really concentrate on it since you don't have to worry about getting a consistent angle. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Chumango wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:55 pm
I have sharpened freehand for many years, since Buck's 440C was the best thing going (like the 110 I purchased in 1976). Arkansas stones. Then eventually DMT when the more recent steels started coming out, and even a belt sander (but it is easy to mess up blades with it).

What I want:

- An effective way to reprofile thick edges to give a consistent edge angle and clean, even bevels. This would be its main purpose.

- Adjustable angle, preferably no more than 15 DPS to set the main bevel (a little smaller would be a plus).

- Will probably end up using diamonds.

- The ability to use more than "store brand" stones would probably be a plus unless the stock stones are good, reasonably priced, and have a reasonable service life.

- I don't need superhigh grits. As it is I finish at 1200 grit at most.

I will probably do normal edge maintenance on my benchstones. It is what I know, I get good results, and setup/cleanup is a snap.

Edge Pro, KME, Hapstone, Wicked edge, etc. - a dizzying array of expensive options.

Pro/con of the different systems?
What you desire comes with a price tag. Sorry no way of getting around that point. Tools that are worthwhile rarely come cheap.

Simply put the Wicked Edge Pro Version 3 is exactly what you are looking for and you will also need to purchase a digital angle cube and the angle guide card so you can record your placement settings and replicate that. Add a sharpie and some blue tape to the mix and you are all set. Wicked Edge pro 3 does have seperate jaws for thicker knives that can be purchased separate.

If you are wanting to sharpen down into the 12 degree and below range and create Scandi Grinds it will be nearly impossible to do on the Wicked edge Pro3. For this you are better off with the Hapstone 7

If you are sharpening longer blades and or very thick blades go with the Hapstone7 or the Worksharp Ken Onion with grinding attachment and stiff belts option.

Out of the 3 I have mentioned you will have the least precise control with the Ken Onion and it will produce an apple seed shaped blade. This however is the least expensive of the 3.

The Wicked Edge3 in my experience thus far has the best Diamond Stones when re-profiling a beast like S90V Steel.

The Hapstone7 does have a rod attachment so you can use Wicked Edge Pro 3 stones.

WIcked Edge Pro3 is the most accurate.

Hapstone7 the most Versatile

Ken Onion with Grinding attachment most versatile of all least accurate and least expensive.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Larry_Mott wrote:
Bloke wrote:

I worried about that with the Hapstone7 but can tell you with the magnets in its base holding the knife it is a non-issue. Might want to try it.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I wanted an edgepro because it's the "original" - but the hapstone is looking good and can use edgepro stones
Tims

Post by Tims »

My sharpenimg has evolved from

Freehand > Lansky > Sharpmaker > Hapstone v7

The only issue I’ve had with the Hapstone is the finish or coating on the stone holder. The finish under the spring loaded adjustable holder has become soft which makes loading stones harder then it should be because the collar binds up instead of sliding.
I’ve been meaning to contact them about warranty but it came from Russia so returning it will be more trouble than it’s worth.

At this time I can’t justify the expense of buying more sharpening gear but if $s weren’t an issue I would probably go to a freehand powered system like paper wheels. I wish I’d gone straight to a powered system.

Any of the available guided systems will work. The biggest variable is your proficiency to get the best out of them and choosing the right sharpening media for the steels you want to sharpen. Choose one and put in the time.

Goodluck
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Should not be a problem with warranty they are very easy to communicate with and handle fulfillment through Amazon. This company is in the sharpening buisness to stay.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I use the Wicked Edge's cheaper brother, Edge Pro.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: