Which Spyderco fits you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

Which Spyderco fits you?

Post by dreadpirate »

I recently bought an over and under shotgun and was paying attention to which make and model was a perfect fit for me. It occurred to me that certain Spyderco knives were also a good fit, and I mean physically in the hand to do a particular job or perhaps just for a general EDC.

For me, the Caly 3, Caly 3.5, and the Calypso JR fit me really well for general EDC.

This as opposed to some Spydercos that to me are magnificent to own but are not an ideal fit for my hand. For me, an example in this category is the Manix 2. I love the knife but it just does not melt into my hand like the Caly.
Pelagic

Re: Which Spyderco fits you?

Post by Pelagic »

Even though I don't own one (only held one), it could be the Shaman. I just wish it had a longer blade. That's part of the reason I'm DYING for the Native Chief. But amongst what I own, definitely the Ti/CF military. Pm2's are slightly more ergonomic, but there's just something about the feel of that titanium that gives me confidence. I may swap in a DLC M4 blade soon as well, in which case it'll be approaching grail status.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Delica (and all knives that share it's handle), and the Shaman seem to fit me the best. Fluted CF Native as well.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Ric

Post by Ric »

Para 3, lil native, Dfly

Sliverax, Manix, PM2 are too big.
Ladybug is too small.
More than 100g (~3 oz) is too heavy.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Caribbean, Caly 3.5 and Street Beat/Swick are my standard go-to knives.

The Street Beat has really come into it's own lately. The handle is ergonomic perfection for me.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

No Spyderco folder fits my hand as well as the Police 3 and 4. That's my primary reason for carrying them. The Manix XL also has wonderful ergonomics, aside from the thumb ramp that's too far back for my hand.

When it comes to fixed blades, the Aqua Salt and Street Bowie are the most comfortable.

Two things prevent a lot of models from being comfortable for me.

1. Fingers grooves spaced for smaller hands (Delica) despite the handle being long enough for a comfortable hold.

2. The biggie, thumb ramps. Most thumb ramps are placed far too close to where the index finger is intended to go for the knife to be comfortable for me. This is why I've started looking for models, like the Street Bowie and Chief, with no thumb ramp. If there is a thumb ramp on a knife, I can pretty much guarantee it will interfere in some grips, even on my beloved Police. I enjoy designs with no thumb ramp so much more. When I choke up on my Police using the index choil I have to put my thumb on the spine of the blade further down than I find comfortable, because the thumb ramp is in my way.

Seeing photos of people using index choils while using thumb ramps makes me cringe. It looks incredibly uncomfortable and I don't know how folks do it. It kills the first joint on my thumb if I cut anything tougher than a piece of string in that grip.

On the Police I can scoot my hand back a bit while using the choil and thumb ramp to extend that first thumb joint, but most Spydercos don't have enough handle real estate to do that. I can't comfortably use a lil native, delica, dragonfly, urban, etc. for that reason alone.
:unicorn
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Pm2, manix, delica, native, domino, ukpk, calypso jr and more fit my hand very well. :)
The spyderco that fits the best is the bushcraft, what an ergonomical masterpiece, Perfection. i Just love to hold that handle.
I have only one spyderco that does'nt fit my hand, the Puukko. Although i love the knife, my hand don't.
The bottom off the handle is way to "sharp" and digs into my fingers when i'm using it.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Best fit so far - my one and only, the Spydiechef. I’ve handled the PM2, PM3, and a few others. Never purchased them. Chef fits my hand great, and it’s surprisingly easy to grip even when wet. That was the one thing that concerned me about the non-textured titanium scales on it. Don’t know why, but they seem to get grippier when wet. It’s weird.

I’d love to have a chance to handle a Native 5 sometime. I’m more than slightly interested in the Native 5 Salt (all LC200N for me), but don’t want to risk purchasing it sight unseen. I did that with the Chef, and I got lucky. Don’t think my luck would hold long enough to try that two times in a row.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

The Military is the perfect fit, period. Other models might feel good and be handy but the Mili is like a puzzle piece to me.
Last edited by 5-by-5 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Native 5 and Shaman. Now that the Native 5 uses thread inserts on the G10 versions, which solves the clip screw stripping problem, I may buy one. I'd rather it be a frame lock though. The Brouwer is tempting because it barely gives up any cutting edge to the N5. I just wish the Brouwer didn't have a steel liner, and the clip placement was more deep carry on it. One day Sal and Eric will make my perfect knife - they have the ingredients waiting to be used.
Joey

Post by Joey »

The Domino/Sliverax/Calypso Jr./Urban Slipit are my top picks. My favorite being the Domino. It is hands down the most ergonomic Spyderco I’ve used, and I just adore it all around!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

And once more the Shaman gets mentioned and once more I have to mention it too ;) .. don't own, just handled one, was blown away by the ergos and the perfect fit and feel in hand (mine are between L and XL). And that despite most of the specs are screaming " not your type of knife"... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

UKPK, Chaparral lwt, Stretch 2, never tried the 1st, and Sliverax. The Polestar is an honourable mention as I've only owned one for two weeks, but it is growing on me.
The Delica 4 doesn't feel as comfortable to use as the Salt 1 (Delica 3 ?). Not enough to stop me using it though. :)
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Tims

Post by Tims »

Native 5 is probably the closest to perfect but if I’m honest I haven’t found the perfect fit yet, which will keep me buying more until I find one that is.

I have a few knives that are close to perfect in every way but there is always some aspect of it that keeps it from being ‘the one’.
Great ergos but blade too short. Great blade but ergos are off etc etc. The day I find a knife that ticks every box might be the day I put my wallet away. For a while at leaset ;)

Not a Spyderco but by far the most comfortable to hold knife I own is a micarta handled Bark River Gunny. It’s a joy to hold
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix 2 for me. :)

One great thing about the variety of offerings is that we can all find our "best fit".
Ironbutt

Post by Ironbutt »

I've found my Manix2s & PM2s to be very user friendly working knives, but even though I have XL hands I find the ergos of the Native5 perfect.
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Winner
Attachments
26992301_10211007016754894_3245827340229465161_n.jpg
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

In folders, the best fit for me is the Resilience, being a close second the Pacific Salt
Fixed blades are the Rock Salt (like it was made for my hand) and Aqua Salt

the ones that don't really fit well are the Tasman and Salt I, so I imagine the Delica wouldn't be good in my hand either
V8dog

Post by V8dog »

The Shaman, with the Manix 2 a close second.

The Military fits my large hand really well, but the smallish finger guard bothers me.

The PM2 is too small (pinky sits on the beak).
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

Out of the box the PM2, however i recently bought some delica scales ( the lil para version) of Steve - Boomer 52, and man do they change the ergo's! considering i prefer the PM2 compared to the para3 and now these delica scales are even smaller - they just work!!
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK