Would you be interested in a Spyderco Hudson Bay camp knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a Spyderco Hudson Bay camp knife?

Yes
32%
No
40%
Depends on the specs
28%

Total votes: 57

Peter1960

Re: Would you be interested in a Spyderco Hudson Bay camp knife?

Post by Peter1960 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:12 am
Peter1960 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:51 pm
A Skrama is hard to beat, pricewise and quality wise ... I voted for NO.
No offense, but just imho the Skrama is not something really comparable to a Spydie - Hudson Bay camp knife
Well, the Skrama exists and you can work with it. A Spyderco version is only fiction at this moment. Therefore I wonder what is the basis of your arguments?

And the sense of a poll is that not everyone has the same opinion. Also no offense Wartstein. :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Peter1960 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:00 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:12 am
Peter1960 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:51 pm
A Skrama is hard to beat, pricewise and quality wise ... I voted for NO.
No offense, but just imho the Skrama is not something really comparable to a Spydie - Hudson Bay camp knife
Well, the Skrama exists and you can work with it. A Spyderco version is only fiction at this moment. Therefore I wonder what is the basis of your arguments?

And the sense of a poll is that not everyone has the same opinion. Also no offense Wartstein. :)
Thanks for your reply!

And: I guess you´re right ;) Did not make my point clear enough. (Sometimes, and I am sure that´s true for other non-english-native-speakers on this forum, it is somewhat hard for me to do so... maybe our english may sound quite ok concerning the phrasing, but we or at least I just picked up phrases and words from reading and do not know exactly how they REALLY are understood by native speakers)

So, firstly: I never meant to imply that I would not understand how anybody could vote "No", and I really appreciate people having different opinions. Sorry if it did not come across like that!

Try to make my point again: Just for me PERSONALLY it felt like the existence of the Skrama is not enough of an argument against wanting to see a Spyderco take on the Hudson Bay knife. Why?: For me the Skrama is just a well thought out tool, quite good in that capacity, but not really based on a fascinating historic design. So from a practical standpoint, if you just need a tool for doing the intendet job, the Skrama exists, does it, and there is no need for a Spyderco-version. A totally fine point of view, and quite sensible too. But: I just can´t think that way (though it would be sensible and money-saving ;) ) concerning knifes and especially Spyderco; would be somehow like "I am not interested in a Native cause I already have a Delica", if you know what I mean..
And, as stated in an earlyer post: I´d at first like to just SEE what Spyderco would do with the design. If I would or could buy one, is a whole different story... but that generally I and most people on this forum like to use knifes that do offer more quality than actually needed, is also true I guess.. even within the Spyderco line up: Could happily do all my cutting with my VG 10 Endura, but just love to use my HAP40 version ;)

Lengthy post... maybe one of the purposes is to learn english while writing it... ;)

Have a happy new year, may your knifes be always sharp in 2019!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Skrama is, to my knowledge based on a Seax :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seax
My point is that for its intended use, i feel the Finnish Skrama or Condor knife would be preferable to a "pretty" knife i'd baby because i wouldn't want to ruin it.
As a collector's item it would fall outside of my 99 % folders only scope.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:29 am
My point is that for its intended use, i feel the Finnish Skrama or Condor knife would be preferable to a "pretty" knife i'd baby because i wouldn't want to ruin it.
Very interesting info, thank you! I know a little bit about Seaxes since I am interested in the history of the early middle ages.

/ Concerning "pretty knife": Yes, you´re right. A Spyderco-take would probably be expensice enough to not want to beat on it... though I do use all my Spydies in real life. Nevertheless I´d be interested in Spydercos steel-choice for such a project... I find for example esees 1095 (guess the Junglas or Esee 6 HM are comparable too the Hudson bay knife) to be TOO soft, even for a tough beater knife. Dulls too fast imho.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I am not sure what steel Camillus used in the 70's for their KA-BAR pattern knife, but it was a very good choice IMO.
I have (ab)used that poor Camillus for everything from throwing to batoning to opening cans, so in spite of it most likely not being a fancy-schmancy new fangled super steel, it would be my choice.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:00 am
I am not sure what steel Camillus used in the 70's for their KA-BAR pattern knife, but it was a very good choice IMO.
I have (ab)used that poor Camillus for everything from throwing to batoning to opening cans, so in spite of it most likely not being a fancy-schmancy new fangled super steel, it would be my choice.
Interesting! I use my Esee Laser Strike almost exclusivly for throwing these days... ;) Works great for that, for other tasks it dulls too fast imho.
(for the record: Of course I would not make use of Esees life time warranty when breaking the knife while throwing it (tough it seems to be quite undistructable, that´s a plus certainly)!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Here's the old battle-axe :)
Late 1970's Camillus. Would like to know what steel was used for them as i like it and it has proven itself, safe to say!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:52 am
[...](Sometimes, and I am sure that´s true for other non-english-native-speakers on this forum, it is somewhat hard for me to do so... maybe our english may sound quite ok concerning the phrasing, but we or at least I just picked up phrases and words from reading and do not know exactly how they REALLY are understood by native speakers)
I know very well what you mean and it's even harder when two German-speakers argue in a foreign language :D
I often heard I'm harsh in comments and don't know why ... :o
Same to you mate!

Spyderco's company motto
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Peter1960 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:03 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:52 am
[...](Sometimes, and I am sure that´s true for other non-english-native-speakers on this forum, it is somewhat hard for me to do so... maybe our english may sound quite ok concerning the phrasing, but we or at least I just picked up phrases and words from reading and do not know exactly how they REALLY are understood by native speakers)
I know very well what you mean and it's even harder when two German-speakers argue in a foreign language :D
I often heard I'm harsh in comments and don't know why ... :o
Same to you mate!
Das ist ja kaum zu glauben!! ;) Did not realize that you yourself are not a native speaker in english but on top of that from the same country as I am! :)
Guten Rutsch nochmal!
Gernot
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Yes. I would. I would also like to see Spyderco collaborate with the German company Eickhorn to make some knives, and, Glock,to make some knives.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:29 am
My most used large camp knife was $250 + $80 for sheath. Only hurts the first time. It's been a companion for over a decade now. Maybe when I get home I can post pictures (Stripped Scrapyard Dogfather)
:unicorn
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:07 pm
Yes. I would. I would also like to see Spyderco collaborate with the German company Eickhorn to make some knives, and, Glock,to make some knives.
Just to adjust it - German is the common language in Austria, Germany and in a good part of Switzerland but however you will see it, Glock is an Austrian company ;)

Spyderco's company motto
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:09 am
Das ist ja kaum zu glauben!! ;) Did not realize that you yourself are not a native speaker in english but on top of that from the same country as I am! :)
Guten Rutsch nochmal!
Gernot
Dir auch ein gesegnetes Neujahr!
Sollte es dich mal nach Ostösterreich verschlagen, kannst dich gerne melden. Ein paar Spydies zum Herzeigen finden sich immer bei mir. ;)

Spyderco's company motto
SpyderEdgeForever

One of the core questions is: What would the blade steel be? Would you want a non-stainless tool steel, or one of the advanced stainless steel alloys Spyderco uses, such as VG10, or S30V ? Something of that size range should be reasonably shock-resistant and tough while also being easy to maintain in the field.
SpyderEdgeForever

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:43 pm
Yes!

LC200N please!
I like this idea. But is LC200N tough enough for a knife of that size?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:14 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:43 pm
Yes!

LC200N please!
I like this idea. But is LC200N tough enough for a knife of that size?
I have yet to have any actual damage to the edge of my Caribbean and I (ab)use it daily. I am very mean to my actual users, we dance the Masochism Tango!

It has proven tougher than S110V as far as actual damage goes. I have chipped S110V through various abuses, LC200N is still soldiering on.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I voted depends. The spec would be the price. And I am pretty sure that a class act Spyderco rendition of this would put itself beyond what I would be willing to pay.

Big fixed blades always seem to appeal to me, though they are not something I personally can get much use out of. So paying a lot for something I just admire now and then is a hard sell for me. The Condor though at $70 would be the kind of thing I could pick up and then scare dogs and small children with. Folders on the other hand can enter into my rotation and thus seem justified in a self delusional fashion.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would like to see this, but it would depend on the price as to whether I would buy it or not. To me, a steel like Sandvic 14C28N would be a good choice. I have a couple of knives in this steel and it is not bad. It is corrosion resistant and takes a very sharp edge easily. Sandvic 13C26 might be okay, as well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Peter1960 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:25 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:09 am
Guten Rutsch nochmal!
Gernot
Dir auch ein gesegnetes Neujahr!
Sollte es dich mal nach Ostösterreich verschlagen, kannst dich gerne melden. Ein paar Spydies zum Herzeigen finden sich immer bei mir. ;)
Bin als Berg-Verrückter wenig im "Osten", meld mich aber (über eine pm?) sehr gern wenn doch mal!! Danke!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:45 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:54 pm
Great that you started the poll indeed! Voted "yes", would be really interested in a Spydieverson of this design. Wonder what sort of steel they would choose. Would hope nothing TOO soft, though in that kind of knife toughness is more of a concern than edge holding.
I'd like to see a simple carbon steel. Something tough, easy to sharpen, and inexpensive. 1095 and O1 come to mind.

I wonder if Spydercos chinese makers can work with any steels like this? Seeing the Bow Rivers price point makes me wonder what they could do with a larger design.
I was not aware of this knife (Darn Dao https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB41GP/1115) till just right now.
Of course a very different design compared to the Hudson Bay Camp knife, but at least a comparable big blade Spyderco produces, and emphazises heavy use (hacking) maybe even more than the Hudson Bay knife (although: I am not sure what the Darn Dao is meant for and if it is at all for real life use - maybe more of a collectors peace? For it is based on a weapon, hopefully no one will make use of it in that capacity).
My point is: Their choice is 154 cm, which surprises me a bit, IF the blade is meant for chopping/hacking wood and the like...