Very Disappointed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Very Disappointed

Post by Pelagic »

500Nitro wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:10 am
So, unless the OP comes back on the thread, we (not me but some might be) are left with a thread where a first time user who reads the first entry
gets the impression that Spyderco has a quality problem which looking at experienced "tinkerers" they don't.
Yeah... Honestly I'm very surprised that people have this issue as often as they do. As I mentioned before, I've never stripped a screw on any spyderco knife. But what I didn't mention is that I use a horrendously cheap quality screwdriver kit from Walmart. I think people get impatient and turn too quickly or don't apply enough downward force when taking them out.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
archangel

Post by archangel »

I have read it, and will immediately look into the mentioned drivers. :) Thank you!
Last edited by archangel on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

jacala wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:25 am
I bought two of the Wiha Torx Drivers: from BHQ and knifecenter.com
Boker Wiha Toolkit Torx Bit Driver Part #09BO700
Buy two of them: you may need to hold and/or turn from both sides.
Not cheap, but you get what you pay for !.

^ This one, ordered, only 15,80€ Thanks once more for the heads-up!
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just want to add my experiences: After one clip screw both of a Stretch and a Delica got lost (Spyderco sent replacements plus locktite for free), to be on the safe side, I unscrewed the clips on probably all of my Spydies and screwed them in again with loctite. Absolutely no issues with stripping screws. But, as suggested above, I used a high quality screwdriver.
Hope the OP will contact Spyderco and post here how it went...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Not all people wouldn’t know Torx screws exist and if an Allen key fits ...

I have Wiha drivers and while disassembling a new Military recently, I lost concentration momentarily while trying to break the Loctite bond on a post screw when beloved wife started talking to me. I let the driver climb out of the screw head while it was still tight and thought for sure I’d stripped it. As it went I was lucky with no harm done and that’s as close as I’ve come, but no stripped screws yet. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:25 am
Just want to add my experiences: After one clip screw both of a Stretch and a Delica got lost (Spyderco sent replacements plus locktite for free), to be on the safe side, I unscrewed the clips on probably all of my Spydies and screwed them in again with loctite. Absolutely no issues with stripping screws. But, as suggested above, I used a high quality screwdriver.
A good computer tech I worked with years ago - and still know as a friend - told me to keep numerous sized
small plastic containers with my tools - BUT will magnets attached to the bottom - as soon as screw comes out,
it goes in container - and magnet holds it there in case you knock it over.

Never lost a screw and I can imagine how fiddly the torx in a Spyderco can be.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

500Nitro wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:34 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:25 am
A good computer tech I worked with years ago - and still know as a friend - told me to keep numerous sized
small plastic containers with my tools - BUT will magnets attached to the bottom - as soon as screw comes out,
it goes in container - and magnet holds it there in case you knock it over.

Never lost a screw and I can imagine how fiddly the torx in a Spyderco can be.
Thanx for your valuable hint, but I guess I did not specify exactly: The screws got lost / fell out unnoticed, while carrying the knifes, not while unscrewing...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Conan

Post by Conan »

Most of the time stripped screws are the result of wrong or cheap torx-drivers.
Brianv

Post by Brianv »

Original Poster here. Yes I use Whia torx drivers. This isn't the first time I've removed screws from a knife.
Brianv

Post by Brianv »

Original Poster here again. Sal, I can't thank you enough for the favor of a reply! I can't tell you how much I appreciate that! I also want to extend my appreciation to those who sympathized and understood my frustration. As for some of the responses I've received I find it interesting that replying to a person who has purchased 3 PM2's as well as other very good knives the default has been maybe he doesn't have good tools and isn't using them correctly. I would think that my purchasing just one PM2 just might indicate that I appreciate good tools and that just maybe I do know what I'm doing with the tools. This inferred insult by people who aren't thinking well is one of the reasons I don't frequent the forum very often. One, possibly more replies mentioned that my complaint was my first post when in fact it was my tenth.
archangel

Post by archangel »

We can see that you joined the forum in 2012, so certainly you are not new to knives, with all that comes with that fact. You should however not assume that anyone is trying to insult you. We are just trying to provide possible explanations. Noone can know for sure why this happened. Let Sal and his team help you.
Michael
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I wouldn't take it as an insult. I know people with a bunch of nice knives and they've never taken a single one apart and aren't exactly handy with general hand tools. I know people who have owned lots of nice cars and have no clue how to work on them, people with big gaming computers that don't know how to build/repair them, etc.

It was brought up because it's a very common cause of stripped screws, but now we know you have good tools and experience with disassembly.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Brianv wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:25 am
Original Poster here again. Sal, I can't thank you enough for the favor of a reply! I can't tell you how much I appreciate that! I also want to extend my appreciation to those who sympathized and understood my frustration. As for some of the responses I've received I find it interesting that replying to a person who has purchased 3 PM2's as well as other very good knives the default has been maybe he doesn't have good tools and isn't using them correctly. I would think that my purchasing just one PM2 just might indicate that I appreciate good tools and that just maybe I do know what I'm doing with the tools. This inferred insult by people who aren't thinking well is one of the reasons I don't frequent the forum very often. One, possibly more replies mentioned that my complaint was my first post when in fact it was my tenth.
Buying a nice knife doesn't imply that the person owns other good tools. Whenever someone strips a screw the first question to ask is what kind of driver was he using? Many people respond that they used a cheap driver, which makes it way easier to strip the screw. This takes care of that variable, then it makes sense to move forward and ask about technique, etc. This makes much more sense than immediately blaming a manufacturer that isn't known for producing junk screws. No one was insulting you.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Well, that's kinda how these things go here. Someone comes to Spyderville with a bad experience, and gets showered with huge amount of the exact opposite good experiences. The citizens of this space are very protective of their shrine. It's understandable.

All kidding aside, these things happen. Even if you are handy, and know your way around the shop, you really have to pay attention when taking Spyderco knives apart. One has to make sure, especially when doing it for the first time on any given knife, that your tools are in good shape, and your wrenching is deliberate. It's easy to slip, especially with these types of fasteners.

One advice, specifically for PM2 clip position changes - drive all three screws into the new desired holes first, without the clip. Just drive them all the way through and tighten them. The screws are 'shortish' so they don't interfere with the pivot. And if your clip is not sitting tight against the scale, or the liner is not completely seated against the G10, you will not have enough threads on the screw to get a good bite. This will ensure that your are going in straight, and if there are any imperfections on the liner threads, putting the screws through with 'clean' it up.
Peter
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

anycal wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:47 am
Well, that's kinda how these things go here. Someone comes to Spyderville with a bad experience, and gets showered with huge amount of the exact opposite good experiences. The citizens of this space are very protective of their shrine. It's understandable.
Wouldn’t necessarily agree with that.

For one, I’m not protecting any shrine. Well, maybe the shrine to my one 27 year old endurance lol (until I get the rest).

My comments based on 30 years in business where customers first thought is it’s a manufacturing / quality problem. Social media has just made it worse

Cheap Chinese crap, maybe but a company like Spyderco, where heaps take apart knives AND more importantly the whole impression is that they are quality, not cutting corners. Just the fact Sal (and others) engage on here says so much.

If it was a qc problem then you would see it on here ASAP. The fact so many came on and said not a problem says SOMETHING the op did MAY be the problem.

After all, he has a 100% failure rate!
Why aren’t others getting same (bad) result.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’ve noticed Spyderco, (and some others) seem to be using softer screws lately. I was extra careful on my Cruwear PM2 knowing this yet I still managed to partially damage the screws, clip and stop pin while getting the action just right. Then on my Rhino, one of the standoff screws fell out! Never found it but luckily had a spare screw from another knife that fit, it is a touch longer so hopefully it will stay put. The stock standoff screws are rediculously short, not sure why as there is room in the standoffs for longer ones? Imo these already great knives would still benefit greatly from better screws.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi KAB's

By "they", do you mean first time buyers or Spyderco?

sal
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I have around 30 Spyderco’s, many of which have aftermarket clips, or the position has been changed. I’ve never stripped a pocket clip screw, even after they’ve been loctited down. I have partially stripped a para 2 stop pin screw, but that’s about it. It sounds like it’s all about the driver/bit you’re using. The benchmade set has been decent. Although their T8 seems slightly small.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:30 pm
Torx screws are difficult to strip.
While I generally agree, this is not always true. I never stripped a screw...until I did. And it wasn't a clip screw (which have never been a problem for me). It was a body screw, actually several on the same Military. This despite firm, perpendicular pressure and slow turning. Lots of Loctite and shallow screw heads made the difference. I checked the screw heads with a PM2 (both Jade G10/M4 models) and the heads on the Military were noticeably shallower and rounded. Not all screws are created equal. I still have one striped screw in it that I have not attempted to replace.
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

Also throwing out nibs that are slightly worn will help.