Abel Native Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spook410

Re: Abel Native Exclusive

Post by Spook410 »

They have used fish patterns on their reels and tools for many years. Some feel they don't wear as well as their basic anodized colors but they still hold up pretty well. Not sure what the process is but they get a vibrant result and given the harsh environments some of the reels are used in, whatever they are doing, they do it well. Their reels are some of the best available both in function and appearance. They are also really expensive and, like it or not, status symbols among serious fly fishers.

This knife would not be functionally any better than any other Native 5 in LC200N. However, I don't know of another Native 5 that has an equivalent artistic value. This is a unique piece and I'm pretty sure those that can afford it will enjoy having it.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Unlike titanium, anodizing aluminum is not what gives it its color. Anodizing sets up a hard, porous surface that must be subsequently dyed to achieve a color. Here is a little article with a wonderfully soundtracked video at the bottom explaining the difference:

https://www.engadget.com/2012/05/31/bil ... -titanium/

I'd bet he's still painting on top, perhaps the spots, but overall it should be a pretty durable pattern, moreso than the tattoo Ladybug which is surprisingly durable itself. I wasn't so much into that design, but I think this is awesome! I don't really get excited by steels anymore, and there haven't been many real interesting mechanical innovations lately that have sparked my curiosity, but I'm always down for a cool new handle!

Edit: and then I saw the price. I am no longer anywhere near down. I'm now quite up. Up and jealous of those who can afford to be down. :(
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

As an avid fisherman I really want one of these, but like others have said it's more than I'm willing to pay. :(
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

PayneTrain wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:04 am
I am no longer anywhere near down. I'm now quite up. Up and jealous of those who can afford to be down. :(
:D Now that's funny
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Give it a couple of years and these are going to be ones that make avid collectors get cold sweats and heartburn....If these are $500 now then I'd hate to think what they might be in 5 years.

If you're that guy or gal who wants every Native then that goes double. :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Going by the rules of English, the anodized scales are then hand painted with the fish pattern. Of course, if anyone is a victim of a post-modern education you can make it mean whatever you want.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:44 pm
Going by the rules of English, the anodized scales are then hand painted with the fish pattern. Of course, if anyone is a victim of a post-modern education you can make it mean whatever you want.
Yeah, he's probably hand-applying the dye to the anodized surface, "painting" it on. It's just not paint, it's something presumably much more durable since it is held within the structure of the metal rather than on top like paint. Very cool idea! I hope we see more of this, even if it's not handmade, so I can eventually afford one thanks to economy of scale. :o
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

From Abel regarding the finish:

"Thanks for contacting Abel. The painted part of the knife is first anodized, then hand painted, and sealed with a anodizing seal. This is the same process we use to paint our reels, nippers, pliers and zingers."
Capt J-rod

Post by Capt J-rod »

I have a few Abel reels, their fishing pliers, nippers, hemostats, and a zinger. It is first quality USA made gear. It is all very over priced. The finishes are incredibly tough and have held up to a lot of abuse and days on the stream. As for the artistic versions of their gear? NOPE. I support companies that make gear in the USA. This is why I carry a PM2 or a bench made mini-grip. Americans pay me with their hard earned money to do my trades and I try to spend money locally and within the states whenever possible. I always say "buy once, cry once" when it comes to all my outdoor gear, but that knife is way over the top.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Capt J-rod,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I personally don't have the money for one of these. But for the crowd I see on Instagram buying $700 knives on the regular, you figure these would be a hit. Deamoncase is right, these will be grail knives for collectors.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
AbelReels

Post by AbelReels »

Hello all,

I work at Abel Reels, and wanted to clear up some confusion I've seen on the forums.

I'm excited to see the enthusiasm around the Abel Native Exclusive edition blade. However, it appears as if there's some misconception around what this product (and our anodize process) actually is.

Abel is a premium fly reel manufacturer, and over the past 20 years has perfected a very unique process of manual polishing and artistic anodize, performed 100% by human hand. We hand polish aluminum parts on buffing wheels to a mirror finish before our anodize process. There is no actual "paint" involved in our process, however we do use paint brushes (and sponges, q-tips, proprietary techniques, etc) to hand-manipulate the anodize chemical dyes and create realistic fish patterns and other graphics (think traditional aluminum anodize meets dying easter eggs by hand).

The process can take up to 4 to 12 labor hours to complete per product, depending on the graphic. Recreating artwork in metal often takes longer than the original artwork takes to create. The cost is significant, all done 100% in the USA. The results are extremely vivid graphics put into the metal surface by hand.....it is Type II anodize, not paint. Our anodize durable, and doesn't rub off. As long as you don't scratch the metal, the anodize plating is intact, and will last a lifetime.

Due to the labor involved, the price reflects our costs, and there's only a modest markup on the product. While I appreciate that this product doesn't suit all people, there are many people that do value our process and what our brand stands for. Our first production run is already pre-sold and we're into our second. We feel that Spyderco, and their commitment to quality and performance, are and excellent fit for this beautiful collaboration.

The knives start shipping later in February.

Thanks again for all of your interest! We are passionate about what we do and love it when others enjoy our work.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

AbelReels wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:52 pm
Hello all,
Thanks for clearing that up. They really are beautiful pieces. Love that they're USA made too! Wish I could afford one, they are works of art.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

AbelReels wrote:
Hello all,

I work at Abel Reels, and wanted to clear up some confusion I've seen on the forums.

Thanks for taking the time to clear things up! :D I had confidence there was no actual "paint" involved. ;)

Now, that Rainbow Trout model... calling my name! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:08 am
Hard to imagine that a painted finish would hold up to pocket carry and use...hmmm
I’m no expert but I have an anodized aluminum bike and I heard that the color is dye that embeds into the grain and is not just on the surface. My bike is well used and the frame looks brand new. It should hold up well.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

AbelReels wrote:
Hello all,

The process can take up to 4 to 12 labor hours to complete per product, depending on the graphic. Recreating artwork in metal often takes longer than the original artwork takes to create. The cost is significant, all done 100% in the USA.
Excellent to read that you're doing the hand painted dying all in the USA and employing American artists.
AbelReels wrote:
Due to the labor involved, the price reflects our costs, and there's only a modest markup on the product. While I appreciate that this product doesn't suit all people, there are many people that do value our process and what our brand stands for. Our first production run is already pre-sold and we're into our second. We feel that Spyderco, and their commitment to quality and performance, are and excellent fit for this beautiful collaboration.

Thanks again for all of your interest! We are passionate about what we do and love it when others enjoy our work.
Even more excellent to hear to read that they're selling so well, and that your customer base is supporting the collaboration.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thank you for the clarification.

Even though these knives are way beyond my price range, I'm happy that they are selling so well. They deserve to. They're stunningly beautiful works of art!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Hi,

Not that I'm going to purchase one as these are a little (ok way more than little) outside my price range for knife collecting... but, I'd like to see a cutthroat version available (a strikingly colorful fish). Seems fitting for a knife made in Colorado referred to as the Native. FWIW, neither rainbows nor browns are native here as the greenback cutthroat is. Hmm??? The browns and rainbows were imported many many years ago (as was the ring necked pheasant) and have become huge icons of the the Colorado outdoor sporting experience. Another vote would be for the Golden Trout (golden colorado golden trout native to california kind of thing). They have tremendous color as well. Just throwing some ideas out for round two... oh yes, then there is the Brook Trout native to the eastern US and what amazing color they have...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:03 pm
AbelReels wrote:
Hello all,

The process can take up to 4 to 12 labor hours to complete per product, depending on the graphic. Recreating artwork in metal often takes longer than the original artwork takes to create. The cost is significant, all done 100% in the USA.
Excellent to read that you're doing the hand painted dying all in the USA and employing American artists.
AbelReels wrote:

Looks like you used to produce your own Abel knives with fish scale patterns. How successful was it and why did you stop !!??

https://olefloridaflyshop.com/shop/fish ... ade-knife/
Mick

Post by Mick »

Definitely a collector's piece to show off at the lodge/camp after a hard day's fishing with your $1300 custom Abel fly reel and your $2800 Orvis bamboo fly rod. :D Jokes aside, they definitely have a beautiful finish on the knives & reels.