yet another "price increase"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Crux

Re: yet another "price increase"

Post by Crux »

A price increase simply makes my Spydies worth more if I ever sell one. I almost sold one the other day but couldn't do it. I did give 5 knives away for Christmas which is easy and fun if they like knives.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The OP was a trap set by a troll who then keeps feeding off of you all. Please don't feed trolls as they come back bigger and meaner.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
gigem95

Post by gigem95 »

I hope everyone had a merry Christmas and is enjoying the holidays.

While nobody likes a price hike (especially on some of our favorite items to purchase and use), in reality it is almost always inevitable. In this case, quality knives using high end steel can be subject to an increase in the cost of those raw materials, labor costs, transportation costs, etc. In my opinion, Sal has been up front with us by letting us know about increases. How many other business owners will let you know of a price increase and explain why? Also, because the price of Spyderco's stays relatively flat, if not increases, there is very good resale value for it. Many of us consider this a hobby (or even an addiction, lol), and enjoy that when we have spent enough time with a model, that we can sell it for a fair price and not have to practically give it away. Spydercos may cost more than some other knives, but IMO their quality and the long term value that they have make it worth it.

The good thing here is that Spyderco has such a diversified selection of products, that almost anyone can find something they will like and use within a price point that they can live with. If your budget doesn't allow for one of the super steels like Maxamet, S110V, or ZDP-189 then you always have more reasonably priced knives in 8Cr13MoV, CTS-BD1, and VG-10 to choose from.

The bottom line is that if you can't find a Spyderco that will fit your needs and at a price point that you can afford, then there are plenty of other options out there. Perhaps you came here to vent on something that touched you deeply, however I think the approach could have been done quite differently and had the same effect. This brings to mind the old adage that you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

Hopefully you won't let this spoil your holidays and you will enjoy your time spent with family and friends. :)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I am often taken aback and impressed by Sal’s responses to critical and outrageous (and worse) posts. He’s far more courteous and thoughtful than anyone has a right to expect. Maybe he never posts his first response? Many times I write a response to a post or email then sit on it a while, recompose it, often more than once before I send it. Something social media in general is missing; time for thought. On some fora I simply delete the post, since there’s no point in yelling at a wall.

Well done Sal, well done.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:51 pm
I am often taken aback and impressed by Sal’s responses to critical and outrageous (and worse) posts. He’s far more courteous and thoughtful than anyone has a right to expect. Maybe he never posts his first response? Many times I write a response to a post or email then sit on it a while, recompose it, often more than once before I send it. Something social media in general is missing; time for thought. On some fora I simply delete the post, since there’s no point in yelling at a wall.

Well done Sal, well done.
I applaud you for being an honest human being.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I personally think we should just let this thread die. The OP hasn't posted since he/she created the post. Probably just sitting back, laughing and enjoying people get worked up, or trying to rationalize over his trolling. Not worth any of our time. We all support Spyderco here, and that's what counts. This person can't win this battle.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gigem95,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for the kind words.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:48 pm
I personally think we should just let this thread die. The OP hasn't posted since he/she created the post. Probably just sitting back, laughing and enjoying people get worked up, or trying to rationalize over his trolling. Not worth any of our time. We all support Spyderco here, and that's what counts. This person can't win this battle.
Second that. Can't believe this thread is still going, and that people have the energy to retort to something akin to a snotty kid giving you the one finger salute..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

I've never been a blind fangirl of anything, so I don't reflexively defend any particular product or company, but in the case of Spyderco knives, I can say that most of the things that I like have gone up far more in price than Spyderco knives.

The unfettered printing of money by the government over the last decade, thus devaluing the dollar, health insurance costs exploding, and many other more complicated factors come into play in the inflation of prices. I seriously doubt that Sal and Co. are playing the role of Rich Uncle Pennybags and rolling around in their newfound piles of gold.

Edit: If they are swimming in gold, good for them. Supply and demand and all that stuff.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Lorelei, what is your favorite Spyderco knife?
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:06 pm
Police C07P. It was a gift, and my first Spyderco knife, when I first started my career.
Of the ones that I bought for myself, I love the Sliverax.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Lorelei wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:39 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:06 pm
Police C07P. It was a gift, and my first Spyderco knife, when I first started my career.
Of the ones that I bought for myself, I love the Sliverax.
Those are great knives. Not trying to change the topic of this thread. But what do you think of the Salt knives such as the Pacific Salt and others, from what you can see on the web page catalog?
SubLime

Post by SubLime »

Looks like I'll be getting a Paramilitary 2 sooner rather than later, and perhaps one of those Native 5s in LC200N :)
kitanis

Post by kitanis »

I am an Amazon Associate in a fulfillment facility and I work in ICQA/Count track. I count items in the storage bins to verify the number of items available.

I can not describe the excitement I feel when I have a Amazon Pod come in front of me and it contains Spyderco or Byrd knives... I always take a second or two to read the labels to see what is front of me.. Of course, I can not simply "pocket" a knife. But it is still exciting to see a Spyderco box in front of me while working

But saying that.. I would more likely purchase my blades from a Spyderco, Blade HQ, or a local dealer. I made the mistake of ordering a Native 5 Lightweight in S110V from Amazon. They sent me the standard 110V version.. returned it and received.. another full version instead of the lightweight.

Amazon is good, I am a loyal employee of the company.. but sometimes.. they don't do orders like they should, or they do not understand what items they have in the inventory. (The facility that is making the error between the standard Native 5 and the Lightweight is the Las Vegas one, I work in the Portland PDX9 facility in Oregon)