native salt!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: native salt!

Post by Pelagic »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:22 pm
People confuse regrinds with adjustments to the spine thickness. A knife is a wedge cross section, all I do is adjust the wedge and make it more acute of a triangle making it thinner behind the edge. This one is 0.005" behind a 12dps. Too thin for the regular dude probably but cuts like a LASER. Less drag.

[
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:14 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:13 pm
Here is Aquaman's EDC

How thin bte? Spine?
I wasn't confused at all. I just asked because the Native is on the thicker side so it wouldn't hurt to simply work the primary grind, therefore maintaining the factory FFG angle which reduces the spine thickness slightly in the process. I wouldn't ask this question if it were a delica, chap, etc.

And yeah, that is insanely thin bte. On a boat, mistakes are inevitable. A grind like this is just asking for severe edge damage.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:33 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
People confuse regrinds with adjustments to the spine thickness. A knife is a wedge cross section, all I do is adjust the wedge and make it more acute of a triangle making it thinner behind the edge. This one is 0.005" behind a 12dps. Too thin for the regular dude probably but cuts like a LASER. Less drag.

[
Pelagic wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
Here is Aquaman's EDC

How thin bte? Spine?
I wasn't confused at all. I just asked because the Native is on the thicker side so it wouldn't hurt to simply work the primary grind, therefore maintaining the factory FFG angle which reduces the spine thickness slightly in the process. I wouldn't ask this question if it were a delica, chap, etc.

And yeah, that is insanely thin bte. On a boat, mistakes are inevitable. A grind like this is just asking for severe edge damage.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Well I guess I didn't put a "boat" grind on it :p :D

Pelagic wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

[
Pelagic wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
Here is Aquaman's EDC

How thin bte? Spine?

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Ha.

Looks great man. .005 and 12dps? You can just show the knife to what ever you're cutting and it will split it self in two trying to get away :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Double post.
Last edited by Pelagic on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:49 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

Pelagic wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

[

You can post memes and make fun of me all you want. If you're talking about a seaman's knife, you missed the mark to an extent that is nothing short of impressive. Have you ever been in the ocean? I'm just curious.

Don't hate me?
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Thanks ZrowsN1s

Thanks MeatMan.

This took a lot of patience to pull off. Yes very sharp, has that laser effect when cutting. Extreme geometry, yet extreme trade off. I am a man of trade offs :D. A jack of all trades after all is a good at nothing. :D all preference of course, no right or wrong. Too each there own. I will say it's very difficult to make the bte very thin.

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:28 pm
Beautiful grind job Shawn. Well done!
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Shawn, I do adore your work. I don't mean disrespect. You can just be very condescending towards honest questions, for seemingly no reason.

Let's take your Darth meme for example. If I make my hatchet 0.005" bte, will it instantly become a Manix 2 that is 0.005" bte? After all, king Darth says spine thickness is irrelevant.

Again, I sense your anger, so don't hate me. If you're capable that is.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Somethings are misconstrued when communicating on forums my friend, it's difficult to convey language and tone to truly understand what is being read and it's easy misinterpret and feel insulted. Don't feel attacked. Lighten up :D . We're all buddies here. It's fun to have some jest. Throw a meme back my way. :p Good times, its just knives after all. No big deal. Some like thick, some thin. Some like trucks some like racecars.

Cheers
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:51 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:49 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

Pelagic wrote:

You can post memes and make fun of me all you want. If you're talking about a seaman's knife, you missed the mark to an extent that is nothing short of impressive. Have you ever been in the ocean? I'm just curious.

Don't hate me?
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I don't know how to do memes. They aren't my thing I suppose. Just don't assume every question is an attack on your knowledge?

BTW, by putting your grind on the salt edition of a knife with a thick blade, you're kind of taking truck tires and putting them on a race car, to use your example.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Come here man, I don't mean any disrespect or ill will towards you my man. I apologise if I come off that way.

I wasn't callin ya out or nothing. I just felt I have to explain what I'm doing and why with the geometry and what I place emphasis on and why.

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:00 pm
Shawn, I do adore your work. I don't mean disrespect. You can just be very condescending towards honest questions, for seemingly no reason.

Let's take your Darth meme for example. If I make my hatchet 0.005" bte, will it instantly become a Manix 2 that is 0.005" bte? After all, king Darth says spine thickness is irrelevant.

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:12 pm
Come here man, I don't mean any disrespect or ill will towards you my man. I apologise if I come off that way.

I wasn't callin ya out or nothing. I just felt I have to explain what I'm doing and why with the geometry and what I place emphasis on and why.

Pelagic wrote:

Thank you. While it's very easy to make fun of someone out of fun, and then tell them to lighten up (plus emoji!) when they respond, I appreciate your down to earth response this time.

I know you're extremely knowledgeable, Shawn. You've paid your dues, particularly in the past 2 years, in regard to research, actual money, and the horrendously long process of trial and error that comes along with creating knives. I appreciate you and your contributions to the community.

I however have spent tens of thousands of hours offshore. And I know what a rustproof "salt" knife should probably be geared towards, especially one with a thick spine.

I feel immature myself for allowing such a minor issue turn into several posts, but it would be like me trying to educate you on the stability of 67hrc 4V, something of which I'm completely ignorant.
Last edited by Pelagic on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

No worries brother :D
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:16 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Pelagic wrote:

Thank you. While it's very easy to make fun of someone out of fun, and then tell them to lighten up (plus emoji!) when they respond, I appreciate your down to earth response this time.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Thank you for your pm, Shawn, it's all good brother!
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Balance this thread out a bit!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:39 pm
I knew some cheesy posts would come from me questioning lord Shawn, but this is by far the cheesiest.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:43 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:39 pm
I knew some cheesy posts would come from me questioning lord Shawn, but this is by far the cheesiest.
I just couldn't resist ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Pelagic, everybody has their preferences. I grew up in Florida on small boats. For my part, a “boat knife” is something along the lines of a Salt for cutting rope and corrosion resistance, or a fillet knife. I happen to like Rapala fillet knives, they’re inexpensive and easy to sharpen quickly, and sure are thin overall.

What do you look for in a boat knife?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:09 am
Pelagic, everybody has their preferences. I grew up in Florida on small boats. For my part, a “boat knife” is something along the lines of a Salt for cutting rope and corrosion resistance, or a fillet knife. I happen to like Rapala fillet knives, they’re inexpensive and easy to sharpen quickly, and sure are thin overall.

What do you look for in a boat knife?
Thicker than 0.005 bte? Lol. It depends if you're on a skiff going for a joyride or working a 4 month hitch on an ERRV or a crab boat off of Alaska. Florida is typically calm, especially the gulf coast. I grew up on the roughest and most dynamic place (bathymetry constantly changing — can't trust the same exact path you took the previous day, you may run aground) on the east coast with dangerous inlets and shoals. It's actually nicknamed "The graveyard of the Atlantic" which you can Google of you're bored. Anyway, regardless of what kind of boat you're on, if you're standing on something that is constantly rocking with intermittent irregular jerky movements (all swells and swell patterns are different, and rogue waves DO exist), simply standing up can be a challenge. Even the most experienced seaman are constantly losing their balance, it's just a matter of regaining it before you lose your footing ("sea legs"). Tasks that require finesse are out the window. The "stuff" can hit the proverbial fan at any moment some days and you just need to get something done, QUICKLY.

With that said, I'd recommend anyone have a minimum of 2 knives at sea, with backups. One serrated, one plane edge, razor sharp at all times. Carrying 3 is better, imo. Knives get dropped, they fall overboard, and they receive damage. They are tools that are paramount to your safety and the safety of the crew. You need a serrated knife mainly for cutting rope in a jam. Even if you could get Maxamet to whittle hair straight off a 120 grit stone, it will NOT cut a thick rope faster than a sharp serrated knife. Next, you obviously need a PE knife for random tasks. You want a knife that you either don't mind damaging, or one that is tough enough to withstand said damage. And finally it wouldn't hurt to have a backup knife that rarely gets used and you always keep extremely sharp. This would be one having s110v or some other stainless high wear resistant steel. If you absolutely had to have an extremely thin reground blade, it would have to be that third one that rarely gets used. A byrd rescue 2 makes a fine serrated knife for the water. It's just cheap, practical, and functional. But almost any Spyderedged knife will do (some companies have inferior serrations). The knife you'd be using the most can be a byrd also, it could be anything from a Delica to a Tuff. I just wouldn't recommend something at 65hrc or anything extremely high alloy because mistakes will be made with this knife, it's only a matter of time. The third knife could be something like an s110v military that sports a hair whittling 400 grit edge that seldom leaves the pocket (emergencies, calm days). I wouldn't recommend a fixed blade unless you could absolutely secure it in a way that would keep it free from snags. You'd have to have an imperviously impenetrable sheath in case you were to fall (you don't want the knife stabbing through leather and going into you). Keeping it mounted sideways on the back belt loop isn't bad, but folders are better overall for safety.

This kind of stuff is simply ingrained into my mind. This is why I have strong opinions on certain matters, like toughness of folders. When I heard (I think it was) Darby say that knife afi's are like hotrodders, "willing to sacrifice durability for performance" that absolutely made sense to me. The ocean is just different though. If you're making a speedboat lighter and therefore faster, you might not want to thin the hull out too much. Food for thought.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Thank you, always interesting to hear the why behind a different perspective!