Maintaining pm 2 s110v edge with sharp maker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Genogt

Maintaining pm 2 s110v edge with sharp maker

Post by Genogt »

Will a spyderco sharp maker maintain a edge on a spyderco paramilitary 2 s110v edge? Keeping in mind i just use knifes on simpler tasks i dont process cardboard all day. Maybe on ocation i might cut a bit of cardboard and open packages of coffee beans mostly when i use a knife. Would apreciate your thoughts also id like to know can you store as it is out of the box without takeing extra steps if you dont plan to use it for a good while. Just looking for info on those two points.
DBCOOPER

Re: Maintaining pm 2 s110v edge with sharp maker

Post by DBCOOPER »

You can maintain your edge with the sharpmaker, but diamonds will help, also the rods are set at 15° 20° dps angles, so if your edge exceeds 41°inclusive it will only sharpen the shoulders instead of the edge, sharpmaker works best in my opinion creating a microbevel and quick touch ups, diamond rods Will help also
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

But yes the rods will sharpen s110v steel easily, but if also look into lansky diamond guided system, about the same price also or less
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Genogt wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:39 am
Will a spyderco sharp maker maintain a edge on a spyderco paramilitary 2 s110v edge? Keeping in mind i just use knifes on simpler tasks i dont process cardboard all day. Maybe on ocation i might cut a bit of cardboard and open packages of coffee beans mostly when i use a knife. Would apreciate your thoughts also id like to know can you store as it is out of the box without takeing extra steps if you dont plan to use it for a good while. Just looking for info on those two points.

Yes, use the brown stones (Corners), only takes a few passes on each side to touch it up.

Do one side at a time, like 2 or 3 passes check for a bur, then the other side 2 or 3 passes check for a bur.

Remove the bur with a light pass or 2 and your done.

Takes like 30 secs.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Genogt,

Welcome to our forum.

The sharpmaker will do just fine on S110V.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have no problems keeping my HAP40 Endura sharp using the sharpmaker. I am far from beeing an expert in any way but I guess HAP40 is considered to be even harder (to sharpen) than S110V (experts, I'm gladly corrected if wrong).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:18 am
I have no problems keeping my HAP40 Endura sharp using the sharpmaker. I am far from beeing an expert in any way but I guess HAP40 is considered to be even harder (to sharpen) than S110V (experts, I'm gladly corrected if wrong).
Hey Wartstein, no expert here either but I think you’ll likely find HAP40 is easier to sharpen than S110V. Either ways the SharpMaker is all you need to maintain any blade steel.

Fröhliche Weihnachten. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hello Bloke,
thanks, and fröhliche Weihnachten to you also (do you speak german?!) from Austria to Australia (two countries sometimes confounded, though yours is a also a continent and mine quite small...;)
/ And: Really? Always thought HAP40 would be just a little less hard than ZDP 189, but as said: Not an expert at all. And never owned a knife in S110V.
/Sharpmaker in the basic configuration (medium and fine)is great, as long as you don't let your blade get too dull
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:43 am
Wartstein wrote:
Hey Wartstein, no expert here either but I think you’ll likely find HAP40 is easier to sharpen than S110V. Either ways the SharpMaker is all you need to maintain any blade steel.

P.S.: Just allowed myself to search your posts a bit: You are definitely much more of an expert than I am!! :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:03 am
Bloke wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:43 am
Wartstein wrote:

P.S.: Just allowed myself to search your posts a bit: You are definitely much more of an expert than I am!! :)
We’er all in the same boat brother and you’re too kind. :o :)
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Genogt, s110v is easy to maintain with a sharpmaker. However, as DBCOOPER mentioned, when the edge exceeds 40 degrees inclusive or more precisely is not exactly 30 or 40 degrees inclusive, you will not hit the edge directly. In that case you are likely to think that the sharpmaker is not able to maintain s110v.

Ankerson, how do i check for a burr after just 3 passes? I would like to up my sharpening skills. Now i can only feel it when a substantial burr has been formed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The more diligent you are with touch ups on a steel like this, the easier it'll be to maintain. If you let it get blunt dull you'll be hating life when it comes time to sharpen it again (on a Sharpmaker).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Danvp wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:58 am
Ankerson, how do i check for a burr after just 3 passes? I would like to up my sharpening skills. Now i can only feel it when a substantial burr has been formed.
I’m sure Jim will weigh in and there are different ways no doubt. You can strop on a thumb nail, use a nylon stocking, tissue ...

This is an adaptation of something Surfingringo taught me that I use when I’m finishing a blade. I lay the blade on face stubble as I would if shaving. A sharp blade bites in and kind of sticks. Then I do the same with the other side of the blade on the other side of my face. If the blade bites better on one side, that’s the side the burr is on.

You can detect a burr off the SharpMaker UF stones using this method. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:28 am
Danvp wrote:
I’m sure Jim will weigh in and there are different ways no doubt. You can strop on a thumb nail, use a nylon stocking, tissue ...

This is an adaptation of something Surfingringo taught me that I use when I’m finishing a blade. I lay the blade on face stubble as I would if shaving. A sharp blade bites in and kind of sticks. Then I do the same with the other side of the blade on the other side of my face. If the blade bites better on one side, that’s the side the burr is on.

You can detect a burr off the SharpMaker UF stones using this method. :)
Ok .. You ARE an expert indeed, my friend... ;)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Danvp wrote:
Genogt, s110v is easy to maintain with a sharpmaker. However, as DBCOOPER mentioned, when the edge exceeds 40 degrees inclusive or more precisely is not exactly 30 or 40 degrees inclusive, you will not hit the edge directly. In that case you are likely to think that the sharpmaker is not able to maintain s110v.

I use my thumb, always done it that way, you can feel it if you run your thumb across the edge, that's from the spine across the edge.

All you need to do is raise a slight bur, then do the other side of the blade and do the same, then remove it with a light pass or two.

Been doing it this way for decades on touchups with ceramics.

It's very quick once you get the hang of it and the steel doesn't matter.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:08 am
Genogt wrote:

Yes, use the brown stones (Corners), only takes a few passes on each side to touch it up.

Do one side at a time, like 2 or 3 passes check for a bur, then the other side 2 or 3 passes check for a bur.

Takes like 30 secs.
You prefer the corners to the flats? How do you do the tip? Thanks
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:09 am
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:08 am
Genogt wrote:

Takes like 30 secs.
You prefer the corners to the flats? How do you do the tip? Thanks

Same way as the rest of the blade.

The corners are faster.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Corners are faster, but more likely to raise a significant bur. I guess I am different from a number of you folks. I try to avoid forming a bur, sharpening evenly from side to side, bringing the apex up to sharpness with a minimal bur if any at all.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Chumango wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:26 am
Corners are faster, but more likely to raise a significant bur. I guess I am different from a number of you folks. I try to avoid forming a bur, sharpening evenly from side to side, bringing the apex up to sharpness with a minimal bur if any at all.
Same here. I just check the edge under a light and work on it until it doesn't reflect light anymore. That combined with a loupe and my thumb and I can detect all but microscopic burrs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

I really haven’t been doing this for very long, but haven’t found s110v horrible to sharpen. I don’t try to raise a burr, I just alternate on the brown stones and touch it up until a) the knife feels smooth passing over the stones and b) the knife blade feels about right running my thumb gently across the apex.

I have no idea if I’m doing that great of a job - but I’m sure that I manage to get it over the “good enough for my needs” hurdle. Which, I suppose, is probably good enough. :rolleyes:

-Ward

(Wow, that was so much more redundant when I read it back)