Maintaining pm 2 s110v edge with sharp maker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Re: Maintaining pm 2 s110v edge with sharp maker

Post by tps3443 »

DBCOOPER wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:20 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:39 pm
DBCOOPER wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:55 am
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:29 am

It's screaming sharp, hair whittling edge.
I had a feeling you were going to say that haha, I have some practicing to do
One of the best decisions I ever made in regards to sharpening was to go to lower grit finishes. Learning how to get shaving sharpness off your coarse stones is a great skill to have.

I've found my EDC knives hold an edge longer than they did with more polished edges, and they cut better too. They grab the material better and slice more aggressively.

I still run polished edges on a few specific knives where I feel it makes sense, like my chef knife and whittlers, but most my knives get finished on Spydercos medium bench stone these days.
Do you think it's possible with lower grit diamonds?
What grit do you think Spyderco medium bench stones are?
Spyderco medium rods are (600) grit, the fine rods are (1200), and ultra fine is around (8000)

You can maintain S110V on a sharpmaker with ceramic rods. But, it’ll be tough to reprofile on there.

Also, I have found you get much longer edge retention sharpening with strictly diamonds on S110V.

Read my thread on S110V. It cut like a pound of paperboard, and nearly 400ft in cardboard and it still shaved after all that. It’s like a super steel.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
DBCOOPER

Re: Maintaining pm 2 s110v edge with sharp maker

Post by DBCOOPER »

tps3443 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:54 pm
DBCOOPER wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:20 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:39 pm
DBCOOPER wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:55 am

I had a feeling you were going to say that haha, I have some practicing to do
One of the best decisions I ever made in regards to sharpening was to go to lower grit finishes. Learning how to get shaving sharpness off your coarse stones is a great skill to have.

I've found my EDC knives hold an edge longer than they did with more polished edges, and they cut better too. They grab the material better and slice more aggressively.

I still run polished edges on a few specific knives where I feel it makes sense, like my chef knife and whittlers, but most my knives get finished on Spydercos medium bench stone these days.
Do you think it's possible with lower grit diamonds?
What grit do you think Spyderco medium bench stones are?
Spyderco medium rods are (600) grit, the fine rods are (1200), and ultra fine is around (8000)

You can maintain S110V on a sharpmaker with ceramic rods. But, it’ll be tough to reprofile on there.

Also, I have found you get much longer edge retention sharpening with strictly diamonds on S110V.

Read my thread on S110V. It cut like a pound of paperboard, and nearly 400ft in cardboard and it still shaved after all that. It’s like a super steel.
Sure I'd love to read it, do you have a link to it?
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum