Is the native5 the new delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

Is the native5 the new delica?

Post by lonerider1013 »

First let me say I love my delica. I probably carry it more than any other knife. That said, when I first picked up a native my first thought was, wow, it's like a delica XL or that delica 5 they were talking about.
Obviously the knives are different -- diff blade shape blade stock thickness, handle shape, etc, but at the end of the day they are both similarly sized knives that fill the same spot on most people's lists.
I could easily see this being "the next delica" if you will -- if it isn't already to many people.
Yes it's a little more expensive but not by much. But overall they are broadly similar and I could easily see this taking over in the future. Anyone else tried the Native (or new native salt) and what do you think? Has it edged any knife out of your daily use yet? Do you think it will?
I'm really enjoying it so far...

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Daveho

Re: Is the native5 the new delica?

Post by Daveho »

I have owned 3-4 natives and I find it to be a nice knife but not a special knife-
I think you could buy one and have it as your only knife with out an issue but for me it doesn’t have that X factor and after handling the light weight I feel they are over priced for what they are-
The delica now is also more expensive than it should be now but I have fond memories of it being that cheap n cheerful knife I gave away to friends when they asked to borrow mine one too many times.
I appreciate that these sent quantifiable qualities however
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my favorite is the manix, so i’ve never really wanted a delica or a native. given the ergonomic similatities to manix, the native is a lot more compelling to me, but they are close enough in size for me to not really want one. that is until they put lc200n in the native. now i can’t wait to get mine. hopefully there’s an all black version by the time i can afford it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Lonerider,

Glad you are enjoying the design.

Hi Dave,

You have an interesting way of judging what is "overpriced" for what they are? By all manufacturing standards, both the Native and the Delica are actually good value when one considers what they cost to build with the materials we use and where we make them. Perhaps you just can't afford them? Which is also OK. There re many things that I simply cannot afford, or cannot justify the cost given my position.

Now If I could get a Ferrari for the cost of my Honda, I would still have to make a value judgement.

sal
anycal

Post by anycal »

I've had the LW Native before the FRN Delica. Quite different knives. I prefer the Native by a bunch.

Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

To me the Delica and Native are just two different models that happen to be similar in size. I own several of each and like 'em all. So, at least for me, the answer is no. The Native 5 is not the new Delica.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Agree with the last two posts. Nope.. it is not! I own the Native and Delica and much prefer the Delica.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Joey

Post by Joey »

The Native 5 is for me one of the best knives you can buy for the size and price range. The Delica is too thin (for my use) and the Manix 2 is IMO a much larger knife than the other two. I also agree the two in question are different enough to not overshadow one another in most ways.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Natives are better looking knives. That’s about it. They’re both good knives but the Delica stands out ergonomically for me. I also prefer the previous Native to the Native 5 LW for ergos.

Anyway, this thread is a trick question: the real answer is Chaparral FRN.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I consider the Delica to be more of a precision tool and I consider the Native5 to be more of a hard use knife.

They are similar in size but a good bit different in use.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm with Darby, they're quite different in use. Delica is much more of a edc type knife whereas the native 5 is a workin knife. Both are two of my favorites and I can't wait to be able to get a Native 5 Salt. I've been carrying my Spydiechef. Just love lc200n.

While I do think the native is the better value, I own 3 times more variants of the Delica than the Native. The Delica just gets grabbed more. They both have their place in anyone's collection/carry rotation.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I’m really liking my black blade SE Native. I do have wide thumbs, so the small hole does bug me a bit. That’s all beside the point. I don’t think it’s the new Delica. Nothing is.
- best wishes, Jazz.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Eh, it's been a while since natives have been out (counting the old 440v ones) and it hasn't taken over yet

It's a very different knife because of the choil
Last edited by GarageBoy on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:37 pm
I consider the Delica to be more of a precision tool and I consider the Native5 to be more of a hard use knife.

They are similar in size but a good bit different in use.
^This.
The thickness of the blades differs a lot. The delica is thin an slicey, the native is much more robust. It's a trade off. I tend to like the Native a little more. Although that has a lot to do with the flat spine and choil of the native. Might be fun to have a native reground as thin as a delica.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi Dave,

You have an interesting way of judging what is "overpriced" for what they are? By all manufacturing standards, both the Native and the Delica are actually good value when one considers what they cost to build with the materials we use and where we make them. Perhaps you just can't afford them? Which is also OK. There re many things that I simply cannot afford, or cannot justify the cost given my position.

Now If I could get a Ferrari for the cost of my Honda, I would still have to make a value judgement.

sal
Well a native 5 lightweight here is $150 and the delica comes in about $20 cheaper from the local knife store-

The delica looks to have more complicated manufacturing, nested liners and what not, sure the blade steel is a bit long in the tooth...
And given that I can get titanium and S35vn from kizer for the same price as a native LW- the Native is just not as good of a value proposition.

But clearly my economic class prevents me from making comparisons to other items at the same price point I guess..
Last edited by Daveho on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

First there was the Delica

and

Then there was the Native for those that like choils.

Similar size & lock, but it basically comes down to the type of grip you like on the knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Halfneck wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:41 pm
First there was the Delica

and

Then there was the Native for those that like choils.

Similar size & lock, but it basically comes down to the type of grip you like on the knife.
That´s about what I wanted to contribute on this subject.

I own and carry both Delica (ffg and saber grind ce) and Native 5 (lightweight); Like them both a lot, despite beeing more into larger folders generally.

They are quite similar to me in just one aspect: I grab one of the two models when I want something that´s taking less pocketspace than my regular Endura-sized EDC knifes. Other than that, they are quite different knifes for me. r

What I really like in the Delica: I do not have to use a choil to get a very good grip on the knife. So in the regular grip it is really ergonomic for me (though I often and without issues choke up on that Ricasso of the Delica)
The Native on the other hand only feels good for me when choked up (my hands are between large and x-large);

It´s funny, when just handling the knifes without actually cutting stuff, the Native feels way more ergonomic for me; but when it comes to real work, I somehow prefer the Delica most of the times... maybe cause all of my fingers can rest on the actual handle, and not one in the choil.

What I´d like to see in the Delica: That the blade would be lengthend so it would extend to the very end of the handle when closed.

Whatsoever, both great designs, but for me the Native is not the new Delica.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Delica for the way it carries, Native for ergos.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Native is just too good. You won’t need any other knife, even more so with the Salt out now, and I just don’t need that amount of guilt!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:08 am
The Native is just too good. You won’t need any other knife, even more so with the Salt out now, and I just don’t need that amount of guilt!
"You won´t need any other knife..." totally right, unless you need more cutting edge ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)