Which ZDP-189 Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Which ZDP-189 Knife?

Post by JD Spydo »

Two of the very first ZDP-189 blades I've always loved are the Burgundy Caly Jr and the Burgundy Jess Horn of which both are from the 2005-2006 era.

Now this is kind of unusual for me in a sense because I've always tended to lean toward longer blades in most cases but these two in ZDP-189 were like "mini-lasers" :cool: Both blades you could get super sharp. The ZDP Caly Jr is my favorite with the AUS-8 full SE model coming in second.

Always loved the looks of the Jess Horn models for a smaller blade unit but when you put ZDP on one it truly makes it a completely different knife all together.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:45 am
dreadpirate wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:39 pm
Thanks for all the great info!! I am a happy camper.
The deals on the Stretch 2 G10 the two gents checked out for you are very, very good, no doubt!

Nevertheless, and call me quite righthly crazy for this: I personally would still recommend the discountinued Stretch 1 in ZDP and FRN. You can find it on ebay for about the same or a little less money than the G10 Stretch 2 - deal.

I assume that you know more about knifes than I do anyway, but to be on the safe side I want to emphasize once more: Rationally the deal on the G10 Stretch 2 is a very good one, the same money for the Stretch 1 in FRN is NOT!

But I personally am totally ok with linered FRN (though g 10 is prettyer, no question), and the blade- and handleshape of the Stretch 1 has something very unique and usefull I think every Spyderco-Fan should experience. Don´t get me wrong, the Stretch 2 is a very good knife! But it´s a little more "Spyderco mainstream" (which is by itself a good thing), and lacks the uniquness of the Stretch 1; Furthermore, the Stretch 1 packs more edge length in a shorter overfall length, has a more acute tip and for me better ergonomics on the handle.

Maybe you´ll let us know which ZDP model you purchased eventually! They are all good, you can´t go wrong

I already have 2 Stretch 1's so it will be interesting to see how this brown G10 Stretch 2 compares.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

[/quote]
I already have 2 Stretch 1's so it will be interesting to see how this brown G10 Stretch 2 compares.
[/quote]

I´d be really interested in how you feel the Stretch 2 compares to the Stretch 1! Maybe you´ll let me know. I´d very much apreciate that..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Just got it today! The G10 matches the G10 of this Sprint run PM2. My other Stretches are FRN and I must say the G10 and liners really feel solid.

Last edited by dreadpirate on Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:53 pm
I´d be really interested in how you feel the Stretch 2 compares to the Stretch 1! Maybe you´ll let me know. I´d very much apreciate that..
I like the handle of the 2 better; still have to use it for a while to say which blade shape I like better.
pagant

Post by pagant »

What no love for the ZDP-189 Manbug ? I carry mine in a Kydex neck sheath , neatly tucked out of sight as a back up.