Knives you didn't expect to like so much, or vice versa

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Re: Knives you didn't expect to like so much, or vice versa

Post by GarageBoy »

I was gifted a PITS - never would have spent the money on it, but wooooow
V8dog

Post by V8dog »

After a lot of research (especially this forum), I went to the store thinking I wanted either an a.t.r. 2 or a gb2. Handled both of those knives, and a Shaman, which I was pretty sure I didn’t want because of the weight. Ended up really liking the Shaman and lost interest in the two knives I was convinced I wanted. The Shaman is now my favorite knife. No matter how much you read, you just don’t know until you get the knife in hand.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BigGrove wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:36 am

Didn't live up to the hype: Kapara - thought this would be a slam dunk for the EDC rotation but something about the ergos just didn't click.
Just out of interest: Can you specify what you did not like about the Kapara-ergos or is it just a general "does-not-connect"? Asking, cause I really do like the Kapara-ergos, though it being quite slim/narrow in the handle and my handsize between large ans x-large.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I purchased a Stretch2 recently mostly to get my first blade in VG 10 but the design philosophy behind it why Sal created it intrigued me. I was a bit uncertain about it because it is smaller than I like.

Way to go Sal this is my new favorite smaller knife now I am going to be selling my Para3's and Sage 5's This is a great knife with incredible ergos. VG-10 is a very nice steel also can't wait to use it some more.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I didn't expect to like my SE Pacific Salt so much. I traded for it on a whim, thinking I could always get a PE version out of it when I decided it wasn't for me. Ended up liking it more than the PE.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

For me it was the Stretch. I bought the HAP40 model on a whim to try out the steel and ended up loving the ergonomics, which really inspired confidence while using it. It was larger than I was used to carrying, but I still felt that I had great control of the knife because of the ergonomics.
I still consider it one of Spydercos best 'sleeper' models!
-Nick :bug-red
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:39 am
For me it was the Stretch. I bought the HAP40 model on a whim to try out the steel and ended up loving the ergonomics, which really inspired confidence while using it. It was larger than I was used to carrying, but I still felt that I had great control of the knife because of the ergonomics.
I still consider it one of Spydercos best 'sleeper' models!
Same here - the Stretch is goofy looking but very, very ergonomic. I just ordered my third Stretch today.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

confining my like/dislike to Spyderco models...

Thought I wouldn't like, but love!

Para 3, the product shots made it look stubby and awkward, but in hand the ergos *and* looks are great! ...all it needs to be perfect right out of the box is a deep carry clip and that's easy to fix with aftermarket parts.

Squeak, again the product shots make it look comically stubby, but in hand the beauty of the design shines through!

Wasn't sure about, but really like:

Manix LW, I was pretty sure that the FRCP handles would spoil the Manix experience for me, but it definitely doesn't and the wire clip is awesome!

Endura, I somehow expected it to be a straight-up stretched Delica (so a bit light for the blade length), but the subtle change in blade thickness and ergos add up to a great, solid feeling medium-large work knife.

Was expecting to like, but was disappointed:

Manix back-lock, knowing that the lock would be amazingly solid and precise (which it absolutely is!) I expected to really like this one, but somehow the extra thickness in blade and handle scales didn't work for me and I immediately missed the ability to one-hand flip it closed, so it's being re-homed to a (hopefully) more appreciative Spyderholic.

Positron, *love* the blade shape and handle contour, but the long diagonal plunge, blockier-than-they-look handles and lackluster flipping action left me feeling let down, even a the closeout price I paid.

Was certain I'd like, but *really* didn't:

FRN UKPK, it's a UKPK, one of my all time favorite designs, so *of course* I'd love it right? Nope, the flexy FRN handles, thinner blade stock and less notchy slipit action add up to a knife that frustrates me every time I pick it up, unlike the FRN Urban that is equal to or better than the original G10 versions.

Enuff Salt, great concept, great size, great blade shape, excellent sheath, rust proof, what more could I ask for?? All killed by the thick blade grind, which cripples it for all but brute-force cutting tasks. :(
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Joey

Post by Joey »

This is a fun thread, and a great topic! I like all these opinions. Firstly, I love my Sliverax. It’s the first knife I was able to flick open, and I like everything about it aside from the weak point where they fit in the pivot. The blade is so thick at the spine, and yet I have to imagine it will snap like a Delica when force is applied.

I didn’t expect I’d like the Urban Slipit, but with WMKs bogo promo, I picked one up. It’s absolutely a joy to use, if not for the stuff slip joint. It’s also very well made in Italy, and has me looking forward to a UKPK for my next slip joint.
I do not like the Delica. I’ve tried a few models including the st Nick’s G10 model, and I am always disappointed. That’s strictly my opinion, and I don’t think it’s a bad design aside from the thin blade, which I admit sometimes has its place. It just doesn’t work for me.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:53 am
.... You probably all know that feeling: You really do NOT need that kind of knife from a practical standpoint, but it just feels so good in hand, even when not cutting stuff.
Yep. This knife was definitely not my type. But once I picked it up, it was hard to put down. I think if most people tried the shaman for a week, they'd buy one.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

The 2 knives that really surprised me are the ukpk and military. The ukpk i bought for its weight. Thought that if i needed a light carry the ukpk would fulfill just that need. Man, was i wrong...it overdelivered! The ukpk is such a nice and smooth slicer in a lightweight package. I am really hooked now. The ergo's are just as good for my hands as for instance the para 3.
The military was added to my collection, because...it's a military. I expected the knife to be way to big for my needs. Again, i was wrong. The military is not that big at all and the extra bladelength is very appreciated.

The little native however did not please me as much as i thought. My main reason to buy this knife was the compression lock in a native look. That it is, but it is to little for the blade thickness. Also when closing the knife often you hit the blade with your finger. Maybe the Shaman will fulfill that need better. Not yet a part of my collection.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'll give another nod to the PITS. The only blade I've carried more since I got it back in June is the Chaparral lw, because it's a bit lighter and a little more office friendly, but once I'm off the clock I generally switch to the PITS.

The Pingo and Baby Horn sprint are two other blades that I bought on impusle that really surprised me to the upside in terms of how much I like them.

The blades that didn't work out for me are mainly due to handedness concerns. Probably boring for 90% of you, but as a lefty I just don't prefer righty liner or frame locks so the ones I bought early on were sold. The Centofante 4 was something of a grail for me for a while, but when I finally got one it was never carried. I thought I could deal with the limited clip orientation options, but it still just never clicked with me and was sold. Finally, I picked up a Rookie sprint on the BF exchange a while back because it was a good price on a classic model, but similar to the Centofante it just hasn't "clicked." I still have it, but mainly only because I've been too lazy to list it for sale anywhere.
:spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dreadpirate wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:17 am
Mushroom wrote:
Same here - the Stretch is goofy looking but very, very ergonomic. I just ordered my third Stretch today.
Since you're awaiting your third stretch already, I assume that at least one of the two you already own will be the discontinued Stretch 1? How do you feel about the changes made from Stretch 1 to Stretch 2?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dreadpirate wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Since you're awaiting your third stretch already, I assume that at least one of the two you already own will be the discontinued Stretch 1? How do you feel about the changes made from Stretch 1 to Stretch 2?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post, sorry. Can't delete.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:12 pm
dreadpirate wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
I'll let you know when I get it in hand.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dreadpirate wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:34 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:12 pm
dreadpirate wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
I'll let you know when I get it in hand.
Thanks, I´d very much apreciate that. For me, the Stretch 2 is a very good knife in itself, but it lacks the uniqness of the Stretch 1. I prefer the latter.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Once released, I have a feeling that the Ikuchi will end up in this thread.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

So I just got the Stretch 2 today. As far as the handle goes, I like the 2 better than the 1. As far as the blade shape goes? hmm - jury is still out.
Sam Kramson

Post by Sam Kramson »

Sage 3 - I was sooo excitedly anticipating this knife, but was underwhelmed when it came.. not a fan of the very stiff lock for just my thumb and when I would use my thumb and index finger on each side it would sometimes give me a nick on my palm when closing. Definitely not a fan of the nonexistent detent. A few times it opened a little while pulling out of my pocket without me knowing so - then I would reach for the hole with my middle finger and get sliced on the 1st knucle..