Red G10 20CV Manix 2 - DLT EXCLUSIVE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Red G10 20CV Manix 2 - DLT EXCLUSIVE

Post by The Meat man »

Nice knife. Unfortunately there are too many knives and not enough money for me. :rolleyes:

I'm really surprised about that discoloration! I thought M390/20CV is supposed to have above-average corrosion resistance for stainless steels. :confused:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:37 pm
*edit*

Beware...its not as stainless as you may hope it would be. I unfortunately just discovered, after giving it a cleaning...a **** patina. I'm pissed, because I wanted this to stay looking nice and didn't think a patina was possible. Cut up some green peppers, a jalapeno and some turkey sausage...this was the result :o
Hit it with a little Flitz and it'll look like new again.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:00 pm
Nice knife. Unfortunately there are too many knives and not enough money for me. :rolleyes:

I'm really surprised about that discoloration! I thought M390/20CV is supposed to have above-average corrosion resistance for stainless steels. :confused:

So was I! I've used M390 on food prep before, cutting steak I believe?? Had no issue, so I was quite surprised by this and figured I'd give others the heads up. But as SharpGuy said...I hit it with Flitz and it wiped right off! So that was a relief. I honestly didn't think Flitz was capable of removing a patina so easily.

Pat, any idea if Flitz will remove the patina from more patina prone steels (M4, 52100)??

I've always thought my GB2 would be a great knife for food prep as well, but haven't done so because I don't want a patina on the beautiful knife.

For some reason I'm only ok with a patina on my cladded knives, at the laminate line...I love the way that looks!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

One of my favorite kitchen knives (one of my all time favorites, too, actually) is a TRC K.O. in m390. I've had no discoloration on that at all.

I have noticed that s90v stains in my kitchen (Sprig and Southfork) but my m390 (K.O.) and Elmax (PW B&T) have never discolored at all.

I just added Nitrobe 77, so I'll be curious to see how that one goes. So far I'm super impressed with it, but I'm only a couple days into it.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:40 am
Pat, any idea if Flitz will remove the patina from more patina prone steels (M4, 52100)??
I've used on my my Mantra (M4) to remove a light patina.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:40 am
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:00 pm

So was I! I've used M390 on food prep before, cutting steak I believe?? Had no issue, so I was quite surprised by this and figured I'd give others the heads up. But as SharpGuy said...I hit it with Flitz and it wiped right off! So that was a relief. I honestly didn't think Flitz was capable of removing a patina so easily.

I've always thought my GB2 would be a great knife for food prep as well, but haven't done so because I don't want a patina on the beautiful knife.

For some reason I'm only ok with a patina on my cladded knives, at the laminate line...I love the way that looks!
Keep in mind even with stainless steel extremely acidic food can leave patina
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
cwoods

Post by cwoods »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:37 pm
Not seeing much chatter about this knife. I've been using it a bit at work lately cutting some cardboard and plastic strapping, packaging tape and shrink wrap. A bit of food prep as well as I'm cutting sausage and peppers as I write this for stuffed peppers for dinner. So nothing crazy.

This is my first knife in 20CV, and have to say I'm impressed so far. Just shave a nice patch of hair off my forearm (yes im done with the food prep haha) I've yet to even touch this knife up. So that's pretty good, as I've used it a few times a week since its release.

Anybody holding onto it without giving it use...give it a shot! Such a good knife and steel for the price. Shame on all of those out there trying to flip it...I see there's quite a few at the moment. Their missing out!

It has the looks, cool and classy. Form and function, a great steel. I knew I'd it, but its moving up in my favorites list. The poor LW version in BD1 is feeling left out lately!

*edit*

Beware...its not as stainless as you may hope it would be. I unfortunately just discovered, after giving it a cleaning...a **** patina. I'm pissed, because I wanted this to stay looking nice and didn't think a patina was possible. Cut up some green peppers, a jalapeno and some turkey sausage...this was the result :o

LB58irqh.jpg
I'd be happy to take it off your hands if your that upset about it. Seriously, shoot me a message if your interested.
PM2 52100; PM2 K390; Para 3 Rex 45; Stretch 2 V-Toku2