Spyderco Military and Paramilitary in LC100N and FRN: My new grails.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Military and Paramilitary in LC100N and FRN: My new grails.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thus it is, it is thus: Everyone, Sal, David (EvilD), and Crux convinced me. My new grail knives that I am looking for are the Spyderco Military and Paramilitary with Lc200N stainless steel blades and Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon Handles. I have not got a PM or Millie until now because I wanted to wait it out for the best blade and handle materials and there they are. Let's keep on petitioning and asking and keep this going until these blades are materialized for purchase :)
SaltSerious

Re: Spyderco Military and Paramilitary in LC100N and FRN: My new grails.

Post by SaltSerious »

Those are two formidable requests to the Salt lineup. I would also like to see the upcoming Caribbean XL dressed with 3D machined titanium slabs. Anybody else out there like to see a LC200N Salt Series SMOCK?
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Are these confirmed to be coming out? I want anything in LC200N like that!

What are the next lc200n knives that are in fact confirmed?
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Ugh @ FRN. Give me a real PM2 in LC2/100N, please!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I agree for the most part. Id love to see them with the G10 in Salt form as well since they were able to accomplish this on the Carribean. I assume production capacity and logistics played a part of it, but I think salinating the current PM2, Military, Para 3, Manix, and Native models would have been a HUGE winner vs. the Carribean line. Those models in Salt form are indeed a grail for a LOT of people. An ideal lineup for me would be each of these models in both G10 and LW FRN forms, with H1 SE and LC200N PE options for each, and Yellow/Satin or Black/Black for each. Yes, that is 40 total different combinations, but I think this line would really be a huge success. I mean with H1 and LC200N they have these two amazing and UNIQUE options in their arsenal that no one else has. Why the heck wouldn't you put them into your most popular models? :confused:

Hopefully the Native Salts are the first step. 2 down, 38 to go! :) Hopefully a blacked out G10 H1 SE Military Salt is next!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Agreed love FRN but hate the up and down that comes with it.

G-10 or Titanium Slabs with full salt hardware and Ceramic ball Going once, Going Twice SOLD the the gentleman in Florida with a Full safety deposit box!
Knarls

Post by Knarls »

MORE LC200N Please.
termite

Post by termite »

Knarls wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:10 pm
MORE LC200N Please.
Hey! First post. Welcome, Knarls!
Knarls

Post by Knarls »

termite wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:47 am
Knarls wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:10 pm
MORE LC200N Please.
Hey! First post. Welcome, Knarls!
Thank you
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

The para family in LC100N with ceramic pivot is a wonderful idea, being able to rinse and shake dry after use without possible contamination from a less than clean drying cloth makes food prep on the go a breeze,... prefer G10, would be happy with FRN.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I keep coming back to this thread over and over again because I agree with the posts here so much. Sure hope the powers that be at Spyderco are taking this seriously and I will also toss a new favorite of mine into the ring. Sal & Eric Police 5 in LC200N Please tired of high carbide rust blades.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

If you have LC200N for the blade, then wouldn't you have to use it for the liners as well? If this knife were to exist, would the cost go up a substantial amount? Perhaps the FRN scales could offset the increased cost in materials.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I would pay the increased cost, While I can understand why FRN is used I prefer a more robust handle in G-10 or Titanium then you do not get the up and down play in the blade as I have experienced with FRN.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:42 am
If you have LC200N for the blade, then wouldn't you have to use it for the liners as well? If this knife were to exist, would the cost go up a substantial amount? Perhaps the FRN scales could offset the increased cost in materials.
No, you can use non-cutlery steels that are very rust resistant.

I wonder how liner locks/compression locks deal with wet sand.
James Y

Post by James Y »

In the Caribbean, the liners are also LC200N.

I could definitely go for a Military Salt in LC200N. But I would want the handle to be G10.

Jim
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:54 am
I would pay the increased costu, While I can understand why FRN is used I prefer a more robust handle in G-10 or Titanium then you do not get the up and down play in the blade as I have experienced with FRN.
I'm curious, why do you think FRN handle material is the cause of vertical blade play? Which models have you had this happen to?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I have it happen with the Spyderco Pacific salt and now the Stretch 2.

Since it is you that is are asking the question something just dawned on me and I just did a test. I thought wait a second besides FRN what fo the Pacific Salt and Stretch 2 hafe in common? Ah Ha! Backlocks!!!

So I just took both of them and performed the same test placing the tip on a cutting board and they both move with a pop like feeling. I tracked it down and it is where the blade meets the backlock on the back this is where the movement is coming from. It is a springy typ of resistance in the movement as it rocks under pressure and release like when cutting and slicing.

Next I grabbed my Police 4 in K390 with G-10 Handle and was surprised it does the same thing but to a far lesser extent.

From worse to best meaning more noticeable the line up is like this.

Pacific Salt, FRN
Strestch2, FRN
Police4 G-10

I guess the only way to prove this out as being a worse issue in FRN at this point will be to buy a Stetch2 in G-10 As of now I am convinced it has to do with the way Spyderco does backlocks. It also appears to be worse / much more pronounced with FRN but then a gain the Police4 is not a good example it has very close tolerances with as thin as it is.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:31 pm
Since it is you that is are asking the question something just dawned on me and I just did a test. I thought wait a second besides FRN what fo the Pacific Salt and Stretch 2 hafe in common? Ah Ha! Backlocks!!!
:D I was hoping my questions would get you thinking. I figured the knives in question were all back locks. I don't know for sure but I think the lock style has more to do with the vertical play than the scale material, especially on the knives that have liners.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Good questions, thank you. Questions can be more important than answers. :)
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

I’m confused... Can something that doesn’t exist be a grail? I thought grails are something you hoped to own but don’t due to price or scarcity, etc.