The Native 5 Salt and Why It's So Awesome.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

The Native 5 Salt and Why It's So Awesome.

Post by Sumdumguy »

Well, I haven't yet purchased the Native 5 Salt(knife fund recovering) but Lance baited me into making a Native 5 Salt appreciation thread. ;)

I'll be buying one in SE soon. My wife put my CS Native 5 in the bottom of her purse and won't give it back!

So let's have it Mr. Surfingringo!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
buccilli15

Re: The Native 5 Salt and Why It's So Awesome.

Post by buccilli15 »

I just purchased the last one at Ops. Keep your eyes open people, these babies are dropping!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, I can offer some early feedback on this knife. I was fortunate enough to get one of these several weeks ago and I have used the last month as a chance to do some very heavy testing on this knife...mainly in the corrosion resistance department.

As most of you know, I kayak fish on the saltwater for a living so my knives see EXTREMELY heavy corrosive exposure. They bath in saltwater and blood for about 6 hours a day and rarely see so much as a rinse under the tap. Most days I just pull my folder out of my waistband and throw it in the sink wet and bloody until I grab it the next day for more abuse. I've been using the Seki frn Salts for years and they are amazing and have become my benchmark for corrosion resistance.

The Native Salt has so far shown itself to be every bit as corrosion proof as the Seki Salts. I've had it on the kayak for nearly a month now bathing in salt and blood and there is ZERO corrosion of any kind. I still want to see how it fares over the coming months but a month in my world gives you a LOT of data on corrosion resistance. At this point, I feel like this knife is AT LEAST the equal of the H1 Salts in corrosion resistance.

What's more, it could even end up outperforming them in corrosion resistance but that remains to be seen. The only place I have ever seen ANY corrosion on a Salt folder is around that stainless hardware. That hardware is extremely corrosion resistant but it is not rust proof like H1 and lc200n. After months of 24/7 exposure to saltwater with no cleaning or maintenance it can show some slight corrosive bleeding but this doesn't affect the blade steel or the edge and it takes SO much to make it happen that it is highly unlikely that any normal human is going to ever see it. The Native, unlike the Seki salts, has DLC treated hardware. This was implemented to prevent direct contact between the hardware and the lc200n, but also to help stop any corrosion of the hardware under the most extreme conditions. From what I have seen so far it is doing its job perfectly. I just cleaned my Native for the first time in a month and it looks brand new without so much as a blemish on the blade or anywhere else. (And I've been merciless with it) Time will tell, but this knife might even outperform the Seki Salts in overall corrosion resistance, though that is barely possible.

One more thing while I'm praising this knife. I was never a huge fan of the Native design but somehow the Salt version has opened my eyes a bit to the usefulness of the design. I think I was always looking at the Native from an EDC standpoint and it just really didn't do it for me. The Salt version though is a pure work knife for me and the Native seems much nicer to me now that I am using it for that purpose.

I'd like to thank Sal and Eric and everyone at Spyderco for all the work that went into making this knife truly worthy of the "Salt" moniker. This design entailed a helluva lot more than just slapping an lc200n blade in a LW Native. It took a long time to get here but I'm glad they took their time. They got this one right!
ThePerfectBlade

Post by ThePerfectBlade »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:31 pm
Ok, I can offer some early feedback on this knife. I was fortunate enough to get one of these several weeks ago and I have used the last month as a chance to do some very heavy testing on this knife...mainly in the corrosion resistance department.

As most of you know, I kayak fish on the saltwater for a living so my knives see EXTREMELY heavy corrosive exposure. They bath in saltwater and blood for about 6 hours a day and rarely see so much as a rinse under the tap. Most days I just pull my folder out of my waistband and throw it in the sink wet and bloody until I grab it the next day for more abuse. I've been using the Seki frn Salts for years and they are amazing and have become my benchmark for corrosion resistance.

The Native Salt has so far shown itself to be every bit as corrosion proof as the Seki Salts. I've had it on the kayak for nearly a month now bathing in salt and blood and there is ZERO corrosion of any kind. I still want to see how it fares over the coming months but a month in my world gives you a LOT of data on corrosion resistance. At this point, I feel like this knife is AT LEAST the equal of the H1 Salts in corrosion resistance.

What's more, it could even end up outperforming them in corrosion resistance but that remains to be seen. The only place I have ever seen ANY corrosion on a Salt folder is around that stainless hardware. That hardware is extremely corrosion resistant but it is not rust proof like H1 and lc200n. After months of 24/7 exposure to saltwater with no cleaning or maintenance it can show some slight corrosive bleeding but this doesn't affect the blade steel or the edge and it takes SO much to make it happen that it is highly unlikely that any normal human is going to ever see it. The Native, unlike the Seki salts, has DLC treated hardware. This was implemented to prevent direct contact between the hardware and the lc200n, but also to help stop any corrosion of the hardware under the most extreme conditions. From what I have seen so far it is doing its job perfectly. I just cleaned my Native for the first time in a month and it looks brand new without so much as a blemish on the blade or anywhere else. (And I've been merciless with it) Time will tell, but this knife might even outperform the Seki Salts in overall corrosion resistance, though that is barely possible.

One more thing while I'm praising this knife. I was never a huge fan of the Native design but somehow the Salt version has opened my eyes a bit to the usefulness of the design. I think I was always looking at the Native from an EDC standpoint and it just really didn't do it for me. The Salt version though is a pure work knife for me and the Native seems much nicer to me now that I am using it for that purpose.

I'd like to thank Sal and Eric and everyone at Spyderco for all the work that went into making this knife truly worthy of the "Salt" moniker. This design entailed a helluva lot more than just slapping an lc200n blade in a LW Native. It took a long time to get here but I'm glad they took their time. They got this one right!
Hey Lance,

Any chance you will do a review of this on your youtube channel and demonstrate cutting in your real life applications your world? Also you said "I was never a huge fan of the Native deisgn but somehow the Salt version has opened my eyes a bit do the usefulness of the design?" Can you go more into detail on what you mean by that? In what sense has the design helped that you haven't seen before? Maybe specific tasks?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Serrated or PE?

Pics? ;)

I've always thought the Native was pure utility, but it somehow never really found a regular spot in my EDC. I'm looking forward to this one being my boardshorts carry around the yard during pool season next year. The S110v Manix2 LW worked well for this other than the hardware rust. A salt Manix2 LW S110v seems inevitable, right?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks for sharing your findings Lance. Those are some amazing results. I had a quick question for you but it is purely superficial regarding the LC200N. Does it scratch as easily as H1 steel does? I’ve found that H1 scratches if I look at it wrong. I realize this has no bearing on the knifes usefulness.

It’s also interesting what you’ve said about the work that has gone into making the Salt Native. I’m still hopeful that we will see a UKPK Salt someday but I’m betting that Spyderco is working on some pretty tough corrosion challenges for the backspring. I wonder if they’ll coat it in DLC like the screws on the Native Salt. Hopefully it’s still in the works anyway.
Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Crux

Post by Crux »

I am curious because I honestly don't know, but why is there a big push to promote LC200N over H-1? LC200n can rust with enough exposure but H-1 can never rust. Is H-1 just not wear resistant enough? The Native 5 Salt is smaller than the Salt 2 even though there is more blade mass. I like the "delica" handle of the Salt 2 over the Native. I just do not understand why the Native 5 Salt is a big deal at all.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks for your invaluable insights Lance. I think I might have to give one of these a try.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ThePerfectBlade

Post by ThePerfectBlade »

Crux wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:07 pm
I am curious because I honestly don't know, but why is there a big push to promote LC200N over H-1? LC200n can rust with enough exposure but H-1 can never rust. Is H-1 just not wear resistant enough? The Native 5 Salt is smaller than the Salt 2 even though there is more blade mass. I like the "delica" handle of the Salt 2 over the Native. I just do not understand why the Native 5 Salt is a big deal at all.
Hey Crux,

In my opinion, I believe this is so popular due to the following below:
- Made in Golden Colorado USA
-3 Inch Blade (For some states and countries, needs to be be below 3 inches)
- Popular Model
- Very good Ergonomics
- Some like the aesthetic look of the native
- Good size for EDC carrying
- LC200N Plain Edge edge retention has been said to be a much better performer than the H1. (I believe this is the key reason why everyone is big into LC200N including myself)

However, in the serrated version, I believe H1 and LC200N are similar and doesn't have a huge advantage over the other. I could be wrong but both are very good in Serrated from what I hear...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Crux wrote:

I think the main appeal is that PE LC200N holds its edge way longer than PE H-1. And as Lance has demonstrated, there aren't really any corrosion problems with LC200N.

What I'm really curious about is how serrated LC200N performs against serrated H-1.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Crux wrote:
Hey Crux, I’ve never seen Lc200n rust under any level of exposure to corrosive environments. It can, however, show a slight reaction when in contact with other metals that are corroding. H1 seems to have the advantage in that one area but if you eliminate that contact then the two steels seem to be equally rustproof, at least in my testing which has been fairly exhaustive. Also, as others mentioned, Lc200n has significantly better edge performance in PE. It can also be flat ground.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Crux wrote:
1. the handle ergonomics are better (for me - the bumps are in the wrong place on the delica and make no sense. still a good knife, but not as ergonomic for me.)
2. made in america. i don’t get hung up on this, but it’s still nice.
3. plain edge retention.
4. maintenance free.
5. sturdier blade stock.
6. more robust build.
7. sized for me to carry at work.
8. other reasons i can’t think of at the moment.
9. black handle and blade for attracting less attention. oh man... not yet, but hopefully someday relatively soon.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Crux

Post by Crux »

Geez man, you make me want to throw my Salt 2 in the trash. :(
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

hahaha!!! it’s a fine knife. the native is more comfortable than the delica in my hands. i carry a pacific salt even though it has similar weird ergos to the delica. it doesn’t really bother me that much and i love the long blade full of spydie teeth, especially for ocean carry. gotta protect myself against all those megalodons. :D
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Good stuff, Gringo!

Sounds like Spyderco got it right with this one. I keep hearing good things about LC200N too but I think I’ll hang out to try it on a Waterway. ;) :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Wow guys...

I knew we were all waiting on the Native 5 Salt to drop, but I honestly didn't expect them (plain edge) to sell out as they came out.
It's turning into a real feeding frenzy, I was looking at Zero Tolerances this year.... but I am about to pull the trigger on the serrated edge version.
That is... unless BladeHQ announces the drop date for the DLC M4 military.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Great thread, I've been patiently waiting on this one to drop as it will accompany or on some days replace my Dragonfly salt for kayak fishing.

I've had a PE version on preorder from BHQ for what seems like ages. Sounds like I might receive it before the end of the year?
tangent

Post by tangent »

Hey Lance...got any pictures you care to upload? :)
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much Lance.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Crux wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:12 pm
Geez man, you make me want to throw my Salt 2 in the trash. :(
Hehe, I like the Native Salt but I'm definitely going to be keeping my Salt 2. :D I have always preferred the Delica platform to the Native platform and I still do. The Native Salt still appeals to me though because it is the first time I have been able to buy a Golden made, FFG Salt knife in a plain edge that has better edge retention than H1. And as I mentioned above, I've come to realize that I like the Native design better than I expected. All things being equal, I would still probably choose the Salt 2 design over the Native but at this point all things are not equal so I'm rocking a Native and enjoying it much more than I ever thought I would.