The Native 5 Salt and Why It's So Awesome.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: The Native 5 Salt and Why It's So Awesome.

Post by Surfingringo »

One more thought on the Native that folks will figure out on their own soon enough...The Native Salt is a slightly different color than the Japanese Salts. The Native to me appears to have a slightly more orange cast than the more pale yellow of the Japanese salts. I would call the color of the first Golden Salt "Golden" which seems appropriate. Between the two, I slightly favor the newer color of the Native to that of the older Salts.

tangent

Post by tangent »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:54 pm
Crux wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:12 pm
Geez man, you make me want to throw my Salt 2 in the trash. :(
Hehe, I like the Native Salt but I'm definitely going to be keeping my Salt 2. :D I have always preferred the Delica platform to the Native platform and I still do. The Native Salt still appeals to me though because it is the first time I have been able to buy a Golden made, FFG Salt knife in a plain edge that has better edge retention than H1. And as I mentioned above, I've come to realize that I like the Native design better than I expected. All things being equal, I would still probably choose the Salt 2 design over the Native but at this point all things are not equal so I'm rocking a Native and enjoying it much more than I ever thought I would.
I agree with you in regard to preferring the Delica over the Native (I still really like the Native though). I too was interested in plain edge with more edge retention...so I made a "Wharncliffe Salt" out of a Salt 2 (yellow) handle and S30V steel from Cutlery Shoppe's exclusive Wharncliffe Delica. I know it's not a true Salt knife (not even close really), but I really prefer the linerless handle of the Salt 2. I liked my creation so much that I made a second one. :)
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Good stuff Lance. Always enjoy your posts.

Been fishing more / real world testing as well. My Pac Salt SE hasn't seen a speck of rust. Weeks and months without washing salt, blood, etc. This is extreme, as most the time I give it a quick rinse.

Slowing down on the knife buying, but I think I can make an exception for the Waterway. And maybe the PM2 Maxamet. Lol.
C
Last edited by Calicoast on Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:07 pm
One more thought on the Native that folks will figure out on their own soon enough...The Native Salt is a slightly different color than the Japanese Salts. The Native to me appears to have a slightly more orange cast than the more pale yellow of the Japanese salts. I would call the color of the first Golden Salt "Golden" which seems appropriate. Between the two, I slightly favor the newer color of the Native to that of the older Salts.

Thanks for the pix...I thought the lock bar was coated black. No?
Strider

Post by Strider »

Haven't been on the forum recently, but this knife made me check in. How is the lc200n in serrated? My only experience is with the SpydieChef.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Surfingringo wrote:
Crux wrote:
Hehe, I like the Native Salt but I'm definitely going to be keeping my Salt 2. :D I have always preferred the Delica platform to the Native platform and I still do. The Native Salt still appeals to me though because it is the first time I have been able to buy a Golden made, FFG Salt knife in a plain edge that has better edge retention than H1. And as I mentioned above, I've come to realize that I like the Native design better than I expected. All things being equal, I would still probably choose the Salt 2 design over the Native but at this point all things are not equal so I'm rocking a Native and enjoying it much more than I ever thought I would.
And that is why we need a FFG LC200N Salt 2.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

tonijedi wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:08 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Crux wrote:
And that is why we need a FFG LC200N Salt 2.
I'd be down for that. I'd love it if Spyderco would switch all Delicas over to the Salt 2 type linerless handle with thread inserts - I can't stand the clip wobble on the steel liner Spydies.

I actually prefer the feel of the Native to the Delica in my hand though. This new Native 5 Salt plus the 2019 catalog stating that the S110V blurple G10 Native 5 is going linerless are already penciling themselves into my 2019 knife budget. Though I do wish the Native 5 LW would switch to the same clip screw hole pattern as the G10 Natives and Delicas (and most other Spydies) for aftermarket clip availability.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Lance,

Thanks for the review.

This is one I've had on my radar for a while now. I work around salt water and harsh chemicals on a daily basis, and I'm always having to keep a check on the internals of my Para3. I've used regular Delica's on occasion, but eventually I always have to disassemble them to clean rust off the liners. And I've used the Salt models, but I've never been particularly impressed by the edge holding. I'm not the biggest fan of the Native platform, but you're right, it makes a great working knife.

Now my biggest decision is serrated or plain. I was kinda hoping that there would a combo edge variant, but I'm not sure if it's possible with LC200N.

Sal, if you're watching, I'd gladly be a guinea pig for a CE Native Salt.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:13 pm
I can't stand the clip wobble on the steel liner Spydies.
Clip wobble? I haven't experienced that on any of mine before...and I have a few.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:06 pm
Now my biggest decision is serrated or plain. I was kinda hoping that there would a combo edge variant, but I'm not sure if it's possible with LC200N.
It's definitely possible. The Never Summer Native had a CE LC200N blade.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:32 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:13 pm
I can't stand the clip wobble on the steel liner Spydies.
Clip wobble? I haven't experienced that on any of mine before...and I have a few.
Yep, one Native 5 G10, a trio of G10 Byrds, and, most recently, my GF's pink and purple Zome Delica. Ohh, and the Paramiltary 2 that was so bad the clip screws completely fell out of the handle in transit. Give me thread inserts or a wire clip.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Well... it happened, just placed my order in with Knifejoy because they still had the serrated version in stock (link below).

https://knifejoy.com/spyderco-c41syl5-native-5-salt/

I am very excited to use this gem, lc200n definitely interested me the most when I first dived into Spyderco's 2018 catalogue. I even have a fresh
mule team 25 because I don't know if I'd rather lanyard wrap it, or get a set of scales for it. Not to mention I have been carrying the chef lately, and the more I use it... the more I wish I had a time machine to get a 300 dollar Slysz bowie XD but that is completely unrelated...

The Native 5 salt has definitely been long awaited, and it will be an excellent addition to the Golden lineup. Can't wait to see how the serrations last >:))
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:34 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Picture for reference because it is a badass variant.
Attachments
n5es.JPG
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:34 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Dang, you're right! I completely forgot about that variant.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I would buy one just for the steel but I'm not a fan of the Native5 model. I don't like the looks, the ergos behind the choil and the lack of a thumb ramp not to mention the thickness behind the edge. Not my cup of tea ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Wow, interesting on the color variation on the handles! I figured it would match the previous salt knives, oh well no big deal to me.

I will say while I welcome the change to LC200N I will miss the H1 logo on the blade. I always thought that was a cool addition and set the Salt series knives apart.

Still haven't gotten any info on my preorder from BHQ. I sure hope I get it before the end of the year.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Cscottsss wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:43 am
Wow, interesting on the color variation on the handles! I figured it would match the previous salt knives, oh well no big deal to me.

I will say while I welcome the change to LC200N I will miss the H1 logo on the blade. I always thought that was a cool addition and set the Salt series knives apart.

Still haven't gotten any info on my preorder from BHQ. I sure hope I get it before the end of the year.
Have you seen the awesome lc200n logo. It great as well.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
lunde

Post by lunde »

Here's a two-frame animated GIF that shows both variations (you need to click on the image for it to animate):
C41PYL5+C41SYL5-animation.gif
lunde

Post by lunde »

This photo shows the LC200N logo on the right side of the Native5 Salt blade:

native5-salt-spyderedge.jpg