Oops! comboedge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: Oops! comboedge

Post by ChrisinHove »

Cool.

Fibreglass wallpaper? Flippin heck! Someone liked to make life difficult, didn’t they?

I came across some lead sheet (!) backed wallpaper some years ago (in a normal house), and still have no idea why it would have been used.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Just to clarify, This is not an old beater. I've had it for 2 weeks. I have used it for things i shouldnt, thats why it looks the way it does.
😂
The edgeretention where i removed the serrations seems to be very Good,
I've cut a lot of cardboard and some drywallsheets +++ and its still sharp.
I don't have any pe H1 to compare with so i don't know if it's better or worse.

Mom3ntuM the knifemutilator
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Tims

Post by Tims »

I don’t know blokes, I just can’t get comfortable with the whole H1 SE work hardening idea, though I’ve always struggled with faith. I have a feeling edge geometry and the way serrations cut have more to do with the perceived higher edge retention.

I would love to see some definitive, independant testing done to shed some light on this magic.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Mom3ntuM,

BTW, good story and thanks for sharing.

I didn’t get to use that hard, but my tip of Atlantic Salt was made to PE following Surfingringo mod.

You should be proud of making it work that hard and with the reprofile keeping it in use. Kudos!
Chris :spyder:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

anagarika wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 pm
Jazz wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:27 pm
Maybe Sal could tell us if they’ve ever Rockwelled a scallop and higher up on the same knife.
IIRC, it was mentioned mid to high 60 on the edge vs low 60 (or high 50) on spine, over BF or here, cannot remember.
I also remember reading this. My recollection is Rc 68 at the edge and 50-something at the spine.

The spine of my Pacific Salt cut like butter under a standard carbide twist drill, whereas the spine of my VG-10 Endura 4 was much harder, requiring a “Hi-Roc” carbide die drill. Both were 1/4” holes for wave hooks.