Oops! comboedge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mom3ntuM

Oops! comboedge

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Removing Fiberglass wallpaper i flattened the tip and a few serrations on my pacific salt
🤪
The attachment 1544466642560943.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 1544466642329752.jpg is no longer available
I have no equipment to fix them so i decided to make it a combo edge.
I present you with the ugliest combo edge you've ever seen
😂
The attachment 1544466642145495.jpg is no longer available
1544466642560943.jpg
Its razor sharp,,but Will it hold an edge?
Will the lack of heat treat make it useless?
Bevel is at 30° inclusive.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Mom3ntuM

Re: Oops! comboedge

Post by Mom3ntuM »

1544466642329752.jpg
1544466642145495.jpg
1544466641929928.jpg
James Dean
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Wow, looks mean. (And that's from someone who doesn't like Combos!)

I like the Y on the blade, looks the part.

Good recovery of a knife from an interesting situation.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Cool. I like it :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Love it! This thread is what the Pacific Salt is all about. Buy the best $75 workhorse folder made. Beat it like a rented mule. Tear it up. Fix it. Repeat. The Pacific Salt chuckles at things that would make other knives cry.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Interested to hear your long term observations. I've long wondered if SE H1 reground to PE would show better edge retention than regular PE. I'd expect it to based on the edge retention of my SE Salts.
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:51 pm
Interested to hear your long term observations. I've long wondered if SE H1 reground to PE would show better edge retention than regular PE. I'd expect it to based on the edge retention of my SE Salts.
I've been curious of that as well, obviously the SE blades see a good bit of grinding, and converting one to PE means even more grinding. But, I also wonder if the reason SE blades in H1 have impressed users is that the individual teeth on the edge heat up easier during the making of the serrations, accelerating the work hardening effect. I'm just not familiar with how that works.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:28 pm
... The Pacific Salt chuckles at things that would make other knives cry.
Classic! :D
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Cleaned it up a little
Cleaned it up a little
James Dean
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:19 pm
Vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:51 pm
I've been curious of that as well, obviously the SE blades see a good bit of grinding, and converting one to PE means even more grinding. But, I also wonder if the reason SE blades in H1 have impressed users is that the individual teeth on the edge heat up easier during the making of the serrations, accelerating the work hardening effect. I'm just not familiar with how that works.

The question is how deep does the hardening from grinding SE go? Has he ground past that point?

I've also talked to at least two different guys now who've had PE H1 reground thinner and saw no improvement in edge retention.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Wouldn't you think that the grinding process to put the sabre grind on would be the biggest source of work hardening?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:09 am
Wouldn't you think that the grinding process to put the sabre grind on would be the biggest source of work hardening?

If that were the case we would see similar edge retention from PE as we see on SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:43 am
awa54 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:09 am

If that were the case we would see similar edge retention from PE as we see on SE.
It sure seems that way... which is one reason why I think the SE performance boost must be either heat or cutting load dynamics related (a scalloped edge definitely has a different interface with the media being cut than a plain edge does). I'd bet that the sabre grind step is done with a water cooled wheel, but the Spyder edge might be done without any, or just air cooling, since it removes much less stock. Then again, the act of cutting with an SE edge may cause enough bending/stress in the individual serrations that more intensive work hardening occurs? It's also possible that the characteristics required for an enduring SE scallop intersect perfectly with H1s properties and the SE blades are no harder than PE??

Has anyone taken a hammer to the blade of a PE Salt or an H1 billet, to see if cold working the edge gives the predicted benefit in hardness and/or edge retention?
-David

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Maybe Sal could tell us if they’ve ever Rockwelled a scallop and higher up on the same knife.
- best wishes, Jazz.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:27 pm
Maybe Sal could tell us if they’ve ever Rockwelled a scallop and higher up on the same knife.

yeah, I know much hypothesis has gone into this subject in the past, but I didn't read all those threads at the time, since I had little interest in H1 until about a year back when I got my first blade in that steel (Enuff Salt). On that knife, the short PE tip area stays sharp about as long as I'd expect "surgical stainless" to, while the remainder of the SE blade has decent cutting power for *much* longer... when sharpening the scallops with my DMT tapered file that area doesn't feel any harder than the tip though.
-David

vivi

Post by vivi »

Interesting. My SE Pacific Salt holds an edge longer at the tip than my PE does.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Jazz wrote:
IIRC, it was mentioned mid to high 60 on the edge vs low 60 (or high 50) on spine, over BF or here, cannot remember.
Chris :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is just something to be said for a knife that you have used the living **** out of and are still using it :cool: I've got a couple of Spyders that fit that category>> mainly my old 440V, SE Native which I've actually tried to destroy but it just won't go down :D

My late best friend used his STREETBEAT model which he got from me of course and before he died he wanted me to find another one because he was really putting his EDC STREETBEAT model through the equivalent of a World War :eek: He actually had it on him when we discovered him past away. He wouldn't have wanted it any other way I can assure you. His son still uses it and I got to chat with him the other day about that knife and 3 others he had. But I'm here to testify that STREETBEAT has had some real serious abuse and held up to it.

My G-10 Harpy was another model I put through demanding jobs>>before my G-10 Harpy got stolen :mad: I was beating it like a red headed step child :rolleyes: >> the blade was really getting tattered but the mechanism and lock were still rock solid. The same can be said for my 440V, SE NATIVE.

Yeah testimonies like your's do my soul good ;) Also brings back very special memories.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 pm
There is just something to be said for a knife that you have used the living **** out of and are still using it :cool: I've got a couple of Spyders that fit that category>> mainly my old 440V, SE Native which I've actually tried to destroy but it just won't go down :D

My late best friend used his STREETBEAT model which he got from me of course and before he died he wanted me to find another one because he was really putting his EDC STREETBEAT model through the equivalent of a World War :eek: He actually had it on him when we discovered him past away. He wouldn't have wanted it any other way I can assure you. His son still uses it and I got to chat with him the other day about that knife and 3 others he had. But I'm here to testify that STREETBEAT has had some real serious abuse and held up to it.

My G-10 Harpy was another model I put through demanding jobs>>before my G-10 Harpy got stolen :mad: I was beating it like a red headed step child :rolleyes: >> the blade was really getting tattered but the mechanism and lock were still rock solid. The same can be said for my 440V, SE NATIVE.

Yeah testimonies like your's do my soul good ;) Also brings back very special memories.
Hey JD, I don't remember ever seeing your 440V Native. Any chance you could post a photo? I love seeing a well used blade.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

anagarika wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 pm
Jazz wrote:
IIRC, it was mentioned mid to high 60 on the edge vs low 60 (or high 50) on spine, over BF or here, cannot remember.
I believe it was here. I think it was report by TazKristie.
I just can't think of the thread name.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!