Spydie Chef vs Native 5 Salt. Which would you choose and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Spydie Chef vs Native 5 Salt. Which would you choose and why?

Post by TomAiello »

I'd vote Native 5 for your uses.

Do you have to have a folder for the EDC stuff in your jurisdiction/lifestyle?

Because I'd also throw the Waterway in there as a dark horse contender for your consideration.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey perfectblade, welcome to the forum! First of all, let me say that you have narrowed your choice down to two really great knives so there is no bad decision you can make at this point.

I have found the Spydiechef to be an outstanding EDC knife for my uses. It's a very slim design that seems to disappear in the pocket. The edge shape works very well for my uses. I don't really care for the blunt tip so I reprofiled mine into something a bit more stabby and I like it a lot better. The handle is smooth and easy to keep clean but is still surprisingly not slippery when wet or bloody. For a lot of the uses you mentioned I think you would appreciate the longer blade length of this design.

The Native Salt is a pretty different knife. In the interest of full disclosure I should say that I was lucky enough to get one of these several weeks ago and in the interest of science I have been torturing it relentlessly for most of the last month. Man, what a knife! Stubby and tough and completely rust proof. It is showing itself to be as corrosion proof as the Seki Salt folders if not more so. I was never a huge fan of the Native design but the Salt version has kind of changed my mind. I'll save the rest of my observations for the Native Salt appreciation thread once somebody starts one. :)

Between these two, I would probably recommend the Spydiechef for the uses you described. It has a longer blade, it's easier to keep the handle clean and it affords a better full 4 finger grip than the Native. (At least for my hand). If you were looking for a rough and tumble knife that you were going to put through the ringer from both a usage and a corrosive exposure standpoint then I would say go with the Native but it sounds like you are looking for more of an all arounder EDC that has great corrosion resistance. I think the Spydiechef has everything you are looking for in a bit more elegant package.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The titanium handle is going to be a lot easier to keep clean. Cleaning hardened stuff out of a bi-directional FRN handle scale is slow work. A toothbrush and sme soap is all you need for food residue, but dry paint or tree sap requires slow detail work.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ThePerfectBlade wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:01 pm
Hello!

This is my first post! Excited to be here! As a person who isn't looking to collect, but to find that one perfect folding blade with the best mix of edge retention, weight/carry ability, corrosion resistance, and as minimal maintenance as possible, I have come down to two knives which fit these specs... These knives are the Spydie Chef and the Native 5 Salt. Also, since VANAX steel will probably be way out in left field in terms of price rang and since I have waited the last 3 years to pull the trigger on my first Spyderco, it looks like LC200N will be the most realistic revolutionary steel solution for my needs in the near term. I am aware this might just be the beginning for LC200N knives and more current models might come out with this steel, but I have waited for too long now and need to get one! So I guess my question is, if you had to choose between the Spydie Chef or the Native 5 salt as your choice for EDC, which would you choose and why? I would also like to get @Surfringo (Lance) opinon on this as well if possible! Thanks!
Carribean Leaf PE!
Surfingringo wrote: I'll save the rest of my observations for the Native Salt appreciation thread once somebody starts one. :)
It's made, go tell us all about it! :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

Hi PerfectBlade,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ThePerfectBlade

Post by ThePerfectBlade »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:07 pm
Hey perfectblade, welcome to the forum! First of all, let me say that you have narrowed your choice down to two really great knives so there is no bad decision you can make at this point.

I have found the Spydiechef to be an outstanding EDC knife for my uses. It's a very slim design that seems to disappear in the pocket. The edge shape works very well for my uses. I don't really care for the blunt tip so I reprofiled mine into something a bit more stabby and I like it a lot better. The handle is smooth and easy to keep clean but is still surprisingly not slippery when wet or bloody. For a lot of the uses you mentioned I think you would appreciate the longer blade length of this design.

The Native Salt is a pretty different knife. In the interest of full disclosure I should say that I was lucky enough to get one of these several weeks ago and in the interest of science I have been torturing it relentlessly for most of the last month. Man, what a knife! Stubby and tough and completely rust proof. It is showing itself to be as corrosion proof as the Seki Salt folders if not more so. I was never a huge fan of the Native design but the Salt version has kind of changed my mind. I'll save the rest of my observations for the Native Salt appreciation thread once somebody starts one. :)

Between these two, I would probably recommend the Spydiechef for the uses you described. It has a longer blade, it's easier to keep the handle clean and it affords a better full 4 finger grip than the Native. (At least for my hand). If you were looking for a rough and tumble knife that you were going to put through the ringer from both a usage and a corrosive exposure standpoint then I would say go with the Native but it sounds like you are looking for more of an all arounder EDC that has great corrosion resistance. I think the Spydiechef has everything you are looking for in a bit more elegant package.
Hey Lance,

I appreciate your reply! Very good insight that I will use for my decision between these two knives. You mentioned that you received the Native 5 Salt and have been putting it to good use. Have you seen any hardware rusting at all? Also, I saw your video on sharpening the Carribean (https://youtu.be/DGnOnAtwSNw) and I came away very impressed! Have you sharpened the Native 5 Salt yet? If so, does it sharpen just as easily with the sharpmaker as the Carribean did? I was thinking about ordering the sharp maker and was wondering if you would recommend this as a good sharpener for LC200N? Thanks again!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey perfectblade, yes, the native sharpens just as easily as all the other Lc200n knives. I would definitely recommend the Sharpmaker for this steel (or any steel. Just start with a clean 30 degree inclusive bevel and touchups to the microbevel on the 40 degree rods will only take seconds. After a number great many touchups you will have to reprofile and start the process over but it is a quick and painless way of keeping your knife razor sharp.

No rust anywhere on the Native. It looks rock solid from a “rust proof” standpoint,
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

One thing I like to do is carry my Native or other EDC knife while out of the house, then switch to the chef when I get home and will start dinner.

This may sound weird, but I've found that the Spydiechef encourages me to cook more, (so I get to put it to use) which in turn has helped my health. I don't get sick as often with home cooked meals. There are just too many chemicals in prepared food.
-Jeremy
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Smaug wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:05 pm
This may sound weird, but I've found that the Spydiechef encourages me to cook more, (so I get to put it to use) which in turn has helped my health.
Doesn't sound weird to a fellow knife knut.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Smaug wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:05 pm
One thing I like to do is carry my Native or other EDC knife while out of the house, then switch to the chef when I get home and will start dinner.

This may sound weird, but I've found that the Spydiechef encourages me to cook more, (so I get to put it to use) which in turn has helped my health. I don't get sick as often with home cooked meals. There are just too many chemicals in prepared food.
so what you’re saying is i need to try the spydiechef diet? i’ll try that one on the cfo.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C