Rookie G-10 Serrated

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ravendove

Rookie G-10 Serrated

Post by ravendove »

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me out. I've carried the Spyderco Rookie with the serrated edge and black G-10 handles every single day for nearly 17 years. It was a gift from my father when I graduated infantry training back in 2002. It seems it's fallen out of my pocket and gotten lost at a resort this weekend and while I've called their lost and found, I doubt they'll find it. That being the case, would anyone here know where I might be able to find a new one for purchase? It's not only the one knife that really fits my edc and feels best in my hand, this model has significant sentimental value to me. Any leads or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
sal

Re: Rookie G-10 Serrated

Post by sal »

Hi Ravendove,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for your service.

We'll see what we can find. That's a rally old piece.

sal
Nate

Post by Nate »

Welcome Ravendove.

Best of luck in your search. Really nice offer by Sal to look around for you.
:spyder:
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Ravendove

Hi, Welcome, I know what you mean by sentimental. I carried a Spyderco Serrated Endura 1 during my limited time.

Where to find a new one, not sure on new unless a collector flogs one off but you are likely to find a used one.
They do come up for sale but not often, you have to work at it by continuous daily searching.

Send me message. I'll send you some links and all you have to do is search morning and evening
until one pops up.

It works as I've found 3 rareish Spyderco's in the last few months.

Good luck in your search.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

I have one I can let go to you. Send me a msg.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Maybe it's time for a serrated G10 Rookie sprint :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Isn't the last G10 sprint still available? Shouldn't be hard to find, maybe cut serrations into one?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:17 am
Isn't the last G10 sprint still available? Shouldn't be hard to find, maybe cut serrations into one?
From '08?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

araneae wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:19 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:17 am
From '08?

Ya know what I'm thinking of the Worker sprint not the Rookie. My mistake.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now this just confirms the fact that we need a Sprint Run of the ROOKIE with a newer/better blade steel. I've said for a long time that the ROOKIE may be close to a perfect EDC for most people's uses. And thank you Ravendove for your service to the country>> I've got dozens of ex-military guys and gals in my family and I fully realize how you all have sacrificed for a great cause :) And WELCOME the the Forum by the way :)

And if they did a SPRINT RUN I do believe the G-10 unit would be a great selection. I personally would love to have one in a newer/better blade steel.

It was truly one of the crown jewels of the ATS-55 era.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

While you search for a replacement Rookie, an FRN SE Delica would probably do the trick as a temporary stand-in.

In the meantime we'll keep our fingers crossed that your original is returned, or that Sal has a replacement up his sleeve!

I also agree that a Rookie Sprint would be cool, FFG PE and G10 for me please.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yeah, I'd still love to see this one in a sprint run.

Plain edge, g10, and K390 ;)
-Nick :bug-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Had to look this one up to see a picture as I'm not familiar with it. Looks like a knife I would buy!!! Two thumbs up for the sprint run.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ravendove

Post by ravendove »

Thanks everyone for the responses. I got a call from the lost and found. They don't have it. So I'm definitely going to need a new one. I may have a lead on one, just waiting to confirm. If by sprint run you guys mean bringing it back for a limited production, I absolutely agree. After this ordeal, even if I find a replacement I would buy a new one just to make sure I had an extra on hand. ****, I'd probably buy two more.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

If Sal wants us to be happy he'll give us the Rookie back. :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Robbob wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:14 am
If Sal wants us to be happy he'll give us the Rookie back. :D
Absolutely!! G-10 handle, HAP-40 or better steel and be available in SE & PE both. that settles it :cool:
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I bought one of these, AFAIK the other one's still available. I can ask if you're interested. (Of course i have no guarantee it's still up for grabs, it's a former collector selling off just about every knife..

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:27 am
Now this just confirms the fact that we need a Sprint Run of the ROOKIE with a newer/better blade steel. I've said for a long time that the ROOKIE may be close to a perfect EDC for most people's uses. And thank you Ravendove for your service to the country>> I've got dozens of ex-military guys and gals in my family and I fully realize how you all have sacrificed for a great cause :) And WELCOME the the Forum by the way :)

And if they did a SPRINT RUN I do believe the G-10 unit would be a great selection. I personally would love to have one in a newer/better blade steel.

You forgot to mention the magic word : SPYDEREDGE :eek: I wasn't expecting this from you :D
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:33 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:27 am

You forgot to mention the magic word : SPYDEREDGE :eek: I wasn't expecting this from you :D
You're absolute right :o I sincerely apologize and stand corrected :o SPYDEREDGE it is :cool: Because not all serration patterns are created equal by any standards.

But I'm still going to be picky about the steel they use. We've had our quota of VG-10 >> it's time to see what else our Japanese Brothers can provide us with :cool:
ravendove

Post by ravendove »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:34 am
I bought one of these, AFAIK the other one's still available. I can ask if you're interested. (Of course i have no guarantee it's still up for grabs, it's a former collector selling off just about every knife..
Yes please! Thank you!