CTS XHP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: CTS XHP

Post by Bill1170 »

From what Sal wrote, I’m surprised Cold Steel discontinued XHP. It seemed they were doing a decent volume of it after moving so many model to it from AUS 8. S35VN is still very good, though.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

npad69 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:05 pm
i have an XHP kitchen knife with 60hrc reprofiled at 8-10 dps with a toothy edge, excels pretty much in cutting stuff. i cut bony fishes (up to 1kg) with it and the edge hasn't chipped nor rolled. the edge keeps its sharpness better than my VG10 japanese knives but what impresses me more is how quickly it gets back to shaving sharpness after just a couple of swipes on the edge of spyderco's fine ceramic stones.

the only kitchen knife steel that i have that currently outworks it are my hap40 kohetsus
I’m happy with CS XHP. Haven’t tried Spyderco one.
I also found the CS XHP keeps the shaving sharp edge better than my Endura VG10, and ease of sharpening is about the same, or better (less tenacious burr).
Chris :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bodog wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:28 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:39 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:19 pm
I really only started using XHP because it was in the Chaparral (which I love, and which is not available in any other steel). It's impressed me enough that I now really do prefer it to s30v and s35vn, and actually did some personal (totally subjective) comparison tests by carrying the XHP manix back to back to back with the s30v and s110v versions.
How do you find the edge holding of XHP compares to S30V and S110V?
It seems to hold a high sharpness longer than s30v, be slightly easier to sharpen, and have better apex stability IMO, perhaps with better corrosion resistance. But s110v is in another league.
Agree with both statements above.
Sounds like a winner. D2 always took a great edge for me, and no complaints about toughness or edge holding when used in folders.
:unicorn
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I haven't used it yet but picked up the CS Para 3 and looking forward to carrying it and anxious to see how it sharpens up.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:13 pm
From what Sal wrote, I’m surprised Cold Steel discontinued XHP. It seemed they were doing a decent volume of it after moving so many model to it from AUS 8. S35VN is still very good, though.
I bet there's more going on there with Cold Steel than simple supply issues. Maybe supplies at the cost Cold Steel demanded? Maybe Carpenter just simply said they didn't want to deal with Cold Steel? Those issues would lead to a deceptive but honest response from Cold Steel saying there were supply issues. Who knows, maybe
Spyderco told Carpenter that they wouldn't buy any more huge orders from Carpenter if Carpenter kept selling XHP to Cold Steel. It's business and competitors aren't always the sweetest people towards each other. Carpenter may have bet on Spyderco? Or who knows, maybe Cold Steel was just a pain in the *** the deal with and Carpenter said screw you and stopped selling to them. All of those reasons would give rise to Cold Steel saying they couldn't source enough XHP to continue using it.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Whatever the reason, when word came out that Cold Steel was ceasing manufacturing in CTS-XHP I bought 4 Cold Steel folders in that steel. Too good to pass up.

- American Lawman
- Code-4 Clip Point
- Code-4 Spear Point
- Recon 1 Spear Point
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Bodog wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:09 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
I bet there's more going on there with Cold Steel than simple supply issues. Maybe supplies at the cost Cold Steel demanded? Maybe Carpenter just simply said they didn't want to deal with Cold Steel? Those issues would lead to a deceptive but honest response from Cold Steel saying there were supply issues. Who knows, maybe
Spyderco told Carpenter that they wouldn't buy any more huge orders from Carpenter if Carpenter kept selling XHP to Cold Steel. It's business and competitors aren't always the sweetest people towards each other. Carpenter may have bet on Spyderco? Or who knows, maybe Cold Steel was just a pain in the *** the deal with and Carpenter said screw you and stopped selling to them. All of those reasons would give rise to Cold Steel saying they couldn't source enough XHP to continue using it.
Absolutely, anything's possible.
Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 pm
Whatever the reason, when word came out that Cold Steel was ceasing manufacturing in CTS-XHP I bought 4 Cold Steel folders in that steel. Too good to pass up.

- American Lawman
- Code-4 Clip Point
- Code-4 Spear Point
- Recon 1 Spear Point
Yep, I got a Recon 1 and bought my father a code 4.

I want some spydies in this surprisingly badass steel.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:50 pm
Bodog wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:09 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Absolutely, anything's possible.
Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 pm

- American Lawman
- Code-4 Clip Point
- Code-4 Spear Point
- Recon 1 Spear Point
Yep, I got a Recon 1 and bought my father a code 4.

I want some spydies in this surprisingly badass steel.
I've never been to the machine shop of a large manufacturer like Spyderco, it must be out of this world. A dream job would be working at Spyderco for a few years making knives to test in different steels.

Every week I see threads requesting knives of various steels. Some of them look like good ideas. Obviously nobody can manufacture all the different requests. I'd imagine each steel has special requirements and small test batches are cost prohibitive.

Spyderco does a great job of bringing special knives to life with superior steels. These forums are unique to Spyderco and they feed them with ideas for FREE.

One can dream though right? Dreaming is still FREE!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:32 pm
Spyderco does a great job of bringing special knives to life with superior steels. These forums are unique to Spyderco and they feed them with ideas for FREE.

The best part is how Sal takes his time to listen and interact with us on a regular basis, and that our dreams aren't falling on deaf ears.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:45 pm
Naperville wrote:

The best part is how Sal takes his time to listen and interact with us on a regular basis, and that our dreams aren't falling on deaf ears.
I believe this is true. Nonetheless, I think I would get farther presenting a case of Laguanitas Hop Stoopid to the Boss Man himself. :D
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:57 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:45 pm
Naperville wrote:

I believe this is true. Nonetheless, I think I would get farther presenting a case of Laguanitas Hop Stoopid to the Boss Man himself. :D
I just want that Street Beat in CTS-XHP.... I think it's a winner!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Enjoying XHP on the McBee :D. Sharpens up nice.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal