Para 3 vs paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Crux

Re: Para 3 vs paramilitary 2

Post by Crux »

Admittedly, they aren't all Para 3s. ;)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Ha that’s great.

Ok so difference between Paramilitary 2 and 3.

These are brothers one is taller.

The PM2 Like all longer blades gives a better slice on the pulling away cut you can move slower there is more edge.

Like all Larger blades it keeps your hand more out of the way of danger. These knives are sharp and when they cut cardboard at an angle the cardboard gets sharp like a blade.

Your hands are meat. The cardboard and other materials will cut you.

The Para3 is easier in the pocket with shorts lighter weight when really working and I guess satisfies asinine knife laws by asinine politicians where guns and hammers do most of the killings.

The biggest mistake Spyderco makes in my honest brutal opinion is wasting fantastic great designs on short folding knives because of a near sighted assumption all folding knives are and must be pocket carry first and foremost.

This Sal and Eric is MYOPIC.

You are industry leaders and this needs to stop.

Let me illustrate more before the torches and Police 4’s come out.

I use my Spydiechef in the kitchen not just a little but allot. The knife blade is too darn short.

My knife block is full of Chicago Cutlery junk. My Woman’s I will not fight this once married once divorced know better!

A folder is not just for the fanged pocket.

It is strong enough to handle almost all home tasks.

It is helpful to be able to fold it and put it away.

A fixed blade needs a sheath or a knife block.

Hello the rest goes without saying larger folders please not pocket knives. Folding knives. Fold them toss them in the drawer good to go!

Spydiechef 5 to 6 inch blade LC200N and you have a win.
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I want whatever you're drinking. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Only the Mead of the Gods! Pray it spewed from Odin’ beak.😁 seriously There is a practical folder market being missed that has nothing to do with the pocket.

Spyderco fixed blade have never and will never dominate the market.
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outdrfrk

Post by Outdrfrk »

Woof, nice collection.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Wow, Crux, that is a beyond impressive collection!
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:30 pm
Only the Mead of the Gods! Pray it spewed from Odin’ beak.😁 seriously There is a practical folder market being missed that has nothing to do with the pocket.

Spyderco fixed blade have never and will never dominate the market.
This guy may be onto something.

Have any of you used Silky saws? I have two, they are exceptional cutting tools. Granted, they're not knives, but they're large(ish) folding tools.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:27 pm
The biggest mistake Spyderco makes in my honest brutal opinion is wasting fantastic great designs on short folding knives because of a near sighted assumption all folding knives are and must be pocket carry first and foremost.
The main function is to be easily portable. I don't think that's near-sighted.

But it's much easier to keep sanitary for kitchen uses because it doesn't have a pivot to collect debris. I think the market for a full size folding kitchen knife would be very small. I guess I don't see the point. :confused:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Ha that’s great.

The PM2 Like all longer blades gives a better slice on the pulling away cut you can move slower there is more edge.

Like all Larger blades it keeps your hand more out of the way of danger. These knives are sharp and when they cut cardboard at an angle the cardboard gets sharp like a blade.

The Para3 is easier in the pocket with shorts lighter weight when really working and I guess satisfies asinine knife laws by asinine politicians where guns and hammers do most of the killings.

I use my Spydiechef in the kitchen not just a little but allot. The knife blade is too darn short.

My knife block is full of Chicago Cutlery junk. My Woman’s I will not fight this once married once divorced know better!

Hello the rest goes without saying larger folders please not pocket knives. Folding knives. Fold them toss them in the drawer good to go!

Two minor, teeny questions. Is the Military not a pocket knife? If not, where and how would one carry it if not in a pocket?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Crux

Post by Crux »

Get some of these. They are made for the kitchen.
Attachments
Kitchen knives_.jpg
Doeswhateveraspidercan

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:18 pm
The main function is to be easily portable. I don't think that's near-sighted.

But it's much easier to keep sanitary for kitchen uses because it doesn't have a pivot to collect debris. I think the market for a full size folding kitchen knife would be very small. I guess I don't see the point. :confused:
When you have a small kitchen having a folding larger blade is very useful for storing in a drawer and protecting the blade. This would not make much sense with a butcher knife of course as whacking a folder is not such a great practice.

As far as being sanitary if the right materials are used like LC200N and Titanium or even g-10 and FRN for that matter it is just as easy to clean those and with a longer blade the pivot is a none issue, even with shorter blades it is not an issue just don't get the pivot involved.

Lastly Spyderco makes great designs that are not translated into this format. If the Spydiechef were offered in 1 and two inched longer I would buy them without hesitation. With a name like Spydiechef the great materials that went into it and the incredible geometry of the blade it is a shame they went small on it and yes a bigger one would have sold without a doubt and that is what I call missing a market.

As Ii is I purchased a Hundred Pacer today to get that extra length. This knife is sick! just look at the blade length to cutting edge ratio and geometry It will live in the kitchen drawer and pocket but probably not to much in the pocket.

I have 4 inch Bush crafting fixed blades that do not have this cutting edge to blade ratio.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:22 pm
Ha that’s great.

Two minor, teeny questions. Is the Military not a pocket knife? If not, where and how would one carry it if not in a pocket?
I do not consider most of what Spyderco Sells to be pocket knives.

Spyderco left the "Pocket Knife" camp years ago as did others and became Folders or in the case of the Military became Tactical Folders that do fit in a pocket so do allot of Cold Steel products but calling them a pocket knife is kind of like calling an M4 Assault Rifle with a collapsing stock a gun.

To limit production of high value folders like the spydiechef to a tiny little knife is missing a market and is near sighted. Most of the people who own this knife will tell you how much they love it in one breath and say I wish it was bigger in the next.

I am one of these people but am also the kind that will buy a larger and a smaller even if I have to sell parts of my collection to do so.

When I think of pocket knives I think of Case or Victoronix the stuff my Grandfather and Father used to carry, were they alive they would love the folders Spyderco produces.

This is really my whole point Folders belong everywhere, Fixed blades demand specific storage and a place to either hang them or secure them. A folder can be popped in a kitchen drawer or elsewhere closed blade secured not getting damaged or cutting anyone inadvertently.

The way the world is going with overpriced housing and the next generation of adults as well as recently divorced fellows like myself being priced out of the housing market, smaller living quarters are they way of things and with it sacrifices of space.

Right now my kitchen is very small and my lady has her own big block of Chicago Cutlery she loves, I can't even stand the feel of them in my hand! so to keep the peace she gets some precious counter space and I understand her being attached to her knives, after all am I not as well? :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Crux wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:27 pm
Very nice Crux are you a Professional Chef?
Crux

Post by Crux »

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:34 pm
Crux wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:27 pm
Very nice Crux are you a Professional Chef?
I did a few years on the pro BBQ circuit (hoping to get the crew back for this year), but I have been seriously cooking for a long time. I had a similar set a step down from these in the kitchen and my wonderful wife savaged them in ways I cannot describe. Since I actually use knives the way they are intended I upgraded the set but hide them in this knife case so only I can use them. Hand cleaned and all. Should last a lifetime, not 3 years. :confused:

Now I buy her serrated knives $30 for a pack of eight and she is blissfully happy.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Laughing so hard like you just can not believe. I understand, respect and compliment your wisdom in the home. My Ex-wife took an expensive Chris Reeve Sikayo and despite what I told her about cutting bones with it ignored me an chipped the blade.

Those knives are very thin Chisel Ground S35VN. I never did repair the blade and was delighted when she claimed it. ( Along with my house) (Not so Happy About that) Women can be darned hard on good knives in the Kitchen.

Now I have to back up a bit, my current woman, (God it feels stupid calling her a girlfriend at my age) She is very good about my knives, she knows how much they mean to me and even when I say go ahead use it she shakes her head and says no those are yours I have mine over there.

With this kind of understanding I never want to get married again! :)

Funny story. She knows I not only buy but also sell my Spyderco's so I can buy new models. This past Saturday she wanted to look at makeup at the mall before we went to see a movie.

She showed me her makeup pallet she was looking at and had been coveting and saving her money for, she went over the virtues of it and I just said.... How Much?.... She replied $65.00 I yelped she gave me a wicked playful grin as she clutched it to her chest and said Knives............. I let out a barking laugh and said alright you got me..... To make a long story short she got $135.00 in makeup before we left the store. Yeah I paid for it. The returns are worth it.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I dunno but she sounds like a keeper. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I hope so close to 2 years and counting but knew the last one for 23 years before she not only disrespected the blade but ruined all trust. Yikes but I digress, lets just say this one appreciates S110V in the PM2 I gave here and that is definitely points in her favor. :)
Crux

Post by Crux »

Shoot man, my wife has refused every knife, pepper spray, taser, machete, gun and even whistle that I've tried to give her. :mad:
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oh Wow!!!!!

My current lady hates my guns but there is no wiggle room with me there. I do not have allot, just what I need to take out multiple perps if needed.

I know what you mean can't get her to consider carrying a 9 MM Sig Sauer like a P320. Being former military I have a fine appreciation for firearms to me they are like my knives wonderful tools to be appreciated.

My knives are different though and I never consider them in a combat role they are tools for making life easier and cooking.

Firearms are a legal nightmare I pray I never have to get involved in. I always say if you own guns make sure you have an attorney on call like I do because when you have to defend home and those you love you will be taken into custody.
Crux

Post by Crux »