Help me pick a Spydie flipper, please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Re: Help me pick a Spydie flipper, please

Post by Nate »

The Sliverax is my only Spydie flipper. It's a really cool design and probably my favorite utility slicer due to the negative blade angle and the amount of cutting edge.

A couple of things I'd mention based on the criteria in the OP:

-On my example, the detent could definitely be stronger. This was also noted in several early reviews. Not a dealbreaker for me, but it may be for others. No idea how much variation there is or if any changes have been made in production.

-Spyderco officially lists the blade length at 3.48". This is just within the range listed in the OP, but I classify it as one of my "larger" knives. Due to the unique design the cutting edge length is actually longer than the blade length. With nothing sacrificed to the ricasso, there's a lot of edge tucked away in the handle.

This pic shows what I mean pretty well. The Sliverax is technically smaller than a Manix2 or PM2, but has significantly more edge than either, almost as much as the Military:

Could by a positive or a negative depending on what you're after.
:spyder:
ferider

Post by ferider »

The CQI Advocate. After some initial bad experience that I had with the Southard a couple of years ago, I decided to try again. The modified Advocate is simply stunning. I know it's a little more expensive (around 210) than your budget, but it's worth it. Ticks all my boxes, in particular CPM-M4, the internal stop pin, SS enforced lock bar and - even though full Ti - it comes in at 110g only (my copy without clip).
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Smaug wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:02 am
I didn't even know about the Smock before. It looks good, if a bit on the large side. I find myself not carrying my larger knives, these days. (Desk job)

That has me leaning more toward the Mantra 2 and 3.

The Mantra 2 had the slimmer pocket profile, but had some issues, which I'm not sure will ever be worked out. Can anyone confirm?

So I think it's down to the Sliverax or Mantra 3 now.
My Mantra 1 is the same thing as the Mantra 2 and I have had zero problems.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Smaug wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:23 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:55 pm
Sliverax or Mantra 3
Which one?
That's up to you to decide. I don't own a Mantra 3 yet. But I do have the Sliverax and Mantra (1). They're two of my favorite knives. The Mantra 3 is sort of a cross between the two so I'm pretty sure it's a winner.
Smaug wrote:
I didn't even know about the Smock before. It looks good, if a bit on the large side. I find myself not carrying my larger knives, these days. (Desk job)

The Mantra 2 had the slimmer pocket profile, but had some issues, which I'm not sure will ever be worked out. Can anyone confirm?

Yes some have reported having bearing issues the Mantra/Mantra 2. Mine's been really smooth since day one. The only thing I would change is to make the detent a little stronger. It flips fine as is but could flip better with a little more detent. I haven't had my Mantra apart but when I finally decide to, I'll increase the detent on it like I did to my Sliverax.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd recommend the sliverax. I need to get one again!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Smaug wrote:

The Smock and Sliverax are almost identical blade, handle, and overall length. The Mantra 3 is .75" shorter overall with .3" less blade length. I understand if the Smock isn't to your taste for other reasons, but size can't be one of them...

I have high hopes for the Smock but haven't touched one yet. The last meaningful update was in June...
https://youtu.be/U9x_Dgr-pQE

The Sliverax was one of the biggest surprises of the year for me. When I first saw it, I mostly dismissed it. After it was out I bought one mostly on a whim (plus an ebay coupon). Wow I'm glad I did. Fits my hand so well and I love the negative blade angle for cutting tasks.

Looking forward to Sliverax designer Paul Alexander's next collaboration, the Ikuchi - //forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=79862.
haayema

Post by haayema »

I have Mantra 1 and 2 and the Advocate.
I have had the Positron, Sliverax and ZT 0450.

Particularly love the Mantra 2 and the Advocate, due to how slim they are and how pretty they look.
Sliverax was very slicey, but the angle of the blade was a bit weird to me.
Positron was a nice little flipper, on the thicker side, but loved it overall. Did not get used a lot. You should be able to pick this one up quite cheap-ish on the secondary market.

As for the ZT 0450, the best flipper of the knives you mentioned. Awesome knife to play with, not very slicey. I have had 3, loved all 3 and sold them all :P
Crux

Post by Crux »

I carry a ZT 0566CF, and it is a great flipper. A little heavy due to the framelock, just not a Spyderco.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

spyderg wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:09 pm
For Spydie flippers I’ve got a Mantra, and Domino. The Domino is the better flipper of the two, not the best flipper I’ve got but very good action and outstanding F&F. I’m waiting for the Smock as I’ve got the custom SK23 and it is by far the best flipper I’ve got or ever tried.
Lol, we posted almost the exact same thing. The Mantra is okay, but I really like the Domino.