What Steel Would You Like To See in the Native Chief?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Native Chief Steel: your choice?

CPM 3V/4V
11%
CPM 10V
3%
CPM M4
8%
CPM S30V
9%
CPM S90V
6%
CPM S110V
3%
CPM Cru-Wear
24%
LC200N
15%
Maxamet
14%
Other (Explain in post)
8%

Total votes: 66

The Meat man

What Steel Would You Like To See in the Native Chief?

Post by The Meat man »

This is one of my most hoped-for models. I love the Native 5 ergonomics, but have often wished for a longer blade. I can't wait to see this new Native Chief come to light!

I'm sure the first run will be in S30V but it doesn't hurt to dream. :) What steel would you like to see in the upcoming Native Chief?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Re: What Steel Would You Like To See in the Native Chief?

Post by The Meat man »

For me I'd like to see CPM M4. I think M4 would offer a great balance of wear resistance and edge stability in a longer blade. I also appreciate how quickly it is to touch up compared to some of the higher alloyed steels.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Accidentally tapped Maxamet instead of other.

This is a tough situation, lol. I agree that the native chief begs for both wear resistance and toughness, the latter depending on exact geometry of the blade. I don't think it's necessary to group 3v/4v together, but I see how that would free up slots for other options. S90v/s110v could have been linked together as well.

I'm a big fan of 3v but 4v would be much better on this model imo.
M4 is a very solid choice.
Cruwear is always good.
Vanadis 4e for similar reasons.

10v, s110v, s90v, and Maxamet would work as well, depending on geometry. I feel in choosing these steels, you must determine if you want a dedicated slicer (thin blade), or a general use edc folder (thick enough to counteract the "brittleness" of these steels).

I honestly wouldn't complain about s30v either. Can't really go wrong with it. This is the one spydie I want more than any other model and I've kind of accepted that the steel would be s30v, which has a good balance of properties as we all know.

XHP, Elmax or m390 (or variant) would be great as well. I love XHP and feel it has underrated toughness. Elmax has a good balance of properties for a stainless as well but is less likely to be seen. M390 is the best stainless out there if you don't like sXXXv steels, great sharpenability for its wear resistance.

REX 45 could probably work in any platform as well.

This is tough without having the knife in hand. For now, I'd say M4, XHP, or m390. Maybe if it sells out they'll eventually offer a blacked out version in DLC.
Last edited by Pelagic on Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:34 pm

This is a tough situation, lol. I agree that the native chief begs for both west resistance and toughness, the latter depending on exact geometry of the blade. I don't think it's necessary to group 3v/4v together, but I see how that would free up slots for other options. S90v/s110v could have been linked together as well.

Cruwear is always good.

10v, s110v, s90v, and Maxamet would work as well, depending on geometry. I feel in choosing these steels, you must determine if you want a dedicated slicer (thin blade), or a general use edc folder (thick enough to counteract the "brittleness" of these steels).

I honestly wouldn't complain about s30v either. Can't really go wrong with it. This is the one spydie I want more than any other model and I've kind of accepted that the steel would be s30v, which has a good balance of properties as we all know.

XHP, Elmax or m390 (or variant) would be great as well. I love XHP and feel it has underrated toughness. Elmax has a good balance of properties for a stainless as well but is less likely to be seen. M390 is the best stainless out there if you don't like sXXXv steels, great sharpenability for its wear resistance.

This is tough without having the knife in hand. For now, I'd say M4, XHP, or m390. Maybe if it sells out they'll eventually offer a blacked out version in DLC.

Good thoughts Pelagic. Yes I wish there'd be more than just 10 options for poll creation.

Yeah it's tough to make a call without seeing specs like blade stock thickness. I would assume though that it'd be around 3.2 to 3.7mm. If this is the case, I think Maxamet would be great too, although as stated previously I think I'd prefer a more forgiving steel.
What would you think of K390? I don't have any experience with it, but I hear good things about it in the Police 4.
- Connor

Crux

Post by Crux »

Maybe gallium?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd like DLC S30V. It works great for me in my Manix XL.

LC200N would probably be awesome too, but I still have yet to test it myself so I can't choose it on theory alone. Whenever the Waterway or new Swick releases that will change :)
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

3V or 4V. Have neither, curious about both.

Given that sprints will now be made on disco’d models only, I’d rather Sal/Eric not start out with the excellent S30V; the wait for the Chief’s disco could be long. And I don’t think dealers/distributors will jump on a new-to-market and jurisdiction-challenging Chief with any steel in this poll, S30V or not.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:49 pm
Pelagic wrote:

This is a tough situation, lol. I agree that the native chief begs for both west resistance and toughness, the latter depending on exact geometry of the blade. I don't think it's necessary to group 3v/4v together, but I see how that would free up slots for other options. S90v/s110v could have been linked together as well.

Cruwear is always good.

Good thoughts Pelagic. Yes I wish there'd be more than just 10 options for poll creation.

Yeah it's tough to make a call without seeing specs like blade stock thickness. I would assume though that it'd be around 3.2 to 3.7mm. If this is the case, I think Maxamet would be great too, although as stated previously I think I'd prefer a more forgiving steel.
What would you think of K390? I don't have any experience with it, but I hear good things about it in the Police 4.
From everything I've gathered without actually having used k390 (opinions, cut tests, etc), it is one of the best steels ever created. 10v but tougher? What's not to love? Oh yeah.... Rust. Lol. Wow... All black DLC K390 Native chief? Sign me up.

DLC options... K390, REX45, M4, Maxamet, V4E, 4V
Stonewash..... M390, XHP, S30V, Cruwear, S35VN

Hard to go wrong. Really looking forward to this model.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
attila

Post by attila »

K490

Hard to get, but described as having twice CPM M4's toughness with nearly the same wear resistance.

I've been trying to get some of the knife-steel suppliers to stock it. My buying power is too little... :(
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

attila wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:04 pm
K490

Hard to get, but described as having twice CPM M4's toughness with nearly the same wear resistance.

I've been trying to get some of the knife-steel suppliers to stock it. My buying power is too little... :(
Now this one sounds promising
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I voted Cruwear. I would like to see this be the first production knife using Cruwear.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I voted 3v/4v but would be down with Cru Wear.
XHP would also be killer if it must be stainless. LC200n is a yes but I wouldn't go to the trouble of making it a salt.
None of that high vanadium carbide stuff.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I voted Cruwear also. One day I'll get a backlock Cruwear knife.

Joe
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:55 pm
I voted Cruwear also. One day I'll get a backlock Cruwear knife.

Joe
A native has to be coming eventually.
I forgot about that Boker Tree Brand lockback hunter in cru wear until your comment. Just looked it up and I can't find any in stock anymore.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:55 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:49 pm
Pelagic wrote:

Cruwear is always good.

From everything I've gathered without actually having used k390 (opinions, cut tests, etc), it is one of the best steels ever created. 10v but tougher? What's not to love? Oh yeah.... Rust. Lol. Wow... All black DLC K390 Native chief? Sign me up.

DLC options... K390, REX45, M4, Maxamet, V4E, 4V
Stonewash..... M390, XHP, S30V, Cruwear, S35VN

Hard to go wrong. Really looking forward to this model.
I'd love to see a DLC K390 Spyderco. Chief, FRN Police, MANIX XL SPRINT....something along those lines. The steel seriously impresses me across the board in my Police 4, but I know by the time April rolls around it'll see little carry.
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

LC200N or Rex45.

I want to give Rex45 another shot. Plus, I really like the burnt orange g10.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I voted M4, but would prefer K390 or REX45 if only to experience more of it.
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

Definitely Cruwear, but If spyderco wants to go stainless on this one then xhp would be my choice.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Cru-wear Sabre grind with a swedge.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Cruwear or 3V for the base model. Then a Native Chief LW Salt in LC200N!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red