Okay Sal it's time

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Okay Sal it's time

Post by vivi »

5-by-5 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:25 pm
The Police still comes in Sabre grind and a swedge. The new Manix from Fradon lock is Sabre grind. The pink Native is still available in Sabre grind and swedge.
The Native Chief needs to be Sabre grind and swedge. The Chief 2 can follow in FFG.

That is a gorgeous Police model you have.
:unicorn
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:49 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:25 pm
The Police still comes in Sabre grind and a swedge. The new Manix from Fradon lock is Sabre grind. The pink Native is still available in Sabre grind and swedge.
The Native Chief needs to be Sabre grind and swedge. The Chief 2 can follow in FFG.

That is a gorgeous Police model you have.
Thanks. I love it, but it rides in the bottom of my pocket. The etching tears up pockets. :cool:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

IMO, the only knives that should be sabre or hollow ground, are made out of H1...

Otherwise, FFG is the way to go.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

5-by-5 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:41 pm
It's not the Native, it's the Native Chief. We've been waiting for it for 20 years. An elder that deserves respect. It would be a shame to be FFG.
Here it is at Spyderco HQ.

FFG has become generic/vanilla.
Thanks for posting this image. First time I’ve seen the Chief authoritatively identified and dated.

I’d like to know this prototype’s blade thickness. All the swedging lessens weight (as in the Tatanka) and aids penetration of a thick blade, no doubt. But a Military achieves these things by other means in a simpler way, namely FFG with distal taper. And binding, the curse of the saber grind, is minimized.

I don’t think Sal ought to be held to styles of 20 years ago. Spyderco has evolved. The Shaman, with its almost imperceptible high saber, is in keeping with the times. I welcome a Chief aware of the Shaman’s aesthetics. The evolved Native is a series, after all.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
olywa

Post by olywa »

Maybe it's time to lead with a LW FRN model with Backlock and wire clip?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

olywa wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:11 am
Maybe it's time to lead with a LW FRN model with Backlock and wire clip?
I wonder if this offering is likely. I recall Sal saying that big sales are needed to recoup the cost of an FRN mold (think bread-and-butter Spydies like the Delica, Endura, and Salts). G10 is usually offered first to judge interest in a new model.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
olywa

Post by olywa »

Not sure that is always the best course. The Native started out as a value-based offering. I think the UKPK bears witness to this as a valid strategy as well.