Milling liners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Reptilian87

Milling liners

Post by Reptilian87 »

I'm looking for someone to mill out my manix 2 liners. I really don't mind the 4.91 oz but it still would be nice to shed some weight on it. Also does Spyderco send out replacement parts? Another option would be to buy the milled liners they have on the s110v version.
araneae

Re: Milling liners

Post by araneae »

Reptilian87 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:39 am
I'm looking for someone to mill out my manix 2 liners. I really don't mind the 4.91 oz but it still would be nice to shed some weight on it. Also does Spyderco send out replacement parts? Another option would be to buy the milled liners they have on the s110v version.
They would not send out internal parts. Can't help with the milling, but you could call a local metal work shop. Maybe someone else will have an idea. Welcome to the forum.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

After doing my own Manix 2 I don't think I'd attempt it for someone else at any price lol. It's a lot of work unless you have the proper tools, and though I got it done well enough with a Dremel, I wouldn't call it the proper tools.

You can see the process here if you're brave enough to attempt it. The steel they use for liners may not be as hard as blade steel but it's stupid tough.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 1#p1072767
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ferider

Post by ferider »

I recommend to buy a beat up s110v knife instead (less than US100?). Then you also get some spare parts that might come in handy in the future (screws, washer, ball and cage, etc.).
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Reptilian,

Welcome to our forum.

That's a lot of work for little return, in my opinion.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:52 am
That's a lot of work for little return, in my opinion.
Agreed. I have one with milled liners and one without. I don't find the weight savings to feel significant in hand or pocket. Others disagree though.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really just did it to see if I could. I wanted it to feel more custom and special. I still need to get a scale and get a weight on it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:10 am
I really just did it to see if I could. I wanted it to feel more custom and special. I still need to get a scale and get a weight on it.
For the two Manix 2 G10s I have I got 4.860 oz (M2 S30V) and 4.305 oz (KW 52100). So .555 oz difference between the two. So definitely less. I still wouldn't call the one with the milled liners a light-weight though. Every little bit helps I guess.

I'm guessing the weight savings in yours might be a little more significant due to it being a custom job.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!