Kapara???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DBCOOPER

Kapara???

Post by DBCOOPER »

So what's up with the kapara? I've been interested in it sense it has been released, I just haven't seen one in person or heard much talk about it?
It seems like a good knife that doesn't get much love
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
knivesandbooks

Re: Kapara???

Post by knivesandbooks »

Probably just becuase it dropped this time of the year. I have a feeling most people who got it, got it because they were itching for it. Between spyderco's discontinued models, black Friday sales, and christmas gifts, money is tight.

That said, it looks great and I may pick it up come tax return time.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I believe you're looking for this...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78596
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've seen plenty of love for the Kapara on Instagram. It seems like almost every knife knut has one.

I'm very happy with mine.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

Tko thanks dude, that's exactly what I was looking for,
Knivesandbooks and sharp guy thanks for the reply,
I have that on my list and due to the holidays and what not I have a list of knives and probably will only be getting one for use for while, glad to hear people are liking it tho
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

DBCOOPER wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:50 pm
So what's up with the kapara? I've been interested in it sense it has been released, I just haven't seen one in person or heard much talk about it?
It seems like a good knife that doesn't get much love
Buy one you will not be disappointed. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I got mine the other day. It's pretty nice. I'm not sure I like it better than a good flipper, but it's nice.

Forgive me for saying so, but it's not quite as nice as a Benchmade 940 either.

Kind of like an Endura that's not so wide in the pocket. Nice knife.
-Jeremy
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Smaug wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:38 pm
Forgive me for saying so, but it's not quite as nice as a Benchmade 940 either.
Not a fan of the BM 940 myself. I'd rather have the Kapara. It's all personal preference.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The Kapara is awesome!
Josh
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Smaug wrote:

Kind of like an Endura that's not so wide in the pocket. Nice knife.
Thats what I thought when I carried and used my Kapara the first time: Enduras were for a long time (and probably still are) my favorite models from a practical standpoint when it comes to my main personal needs concerning knifes: Which would be: Not to heavy, good slicer, long cutting edge,precise, but not TOO delicate tip, grippy also under harsh condítions (snow, cold, water..)

The Kapara fixes the few minor issues I have with the Endura: First, you can use the whole lenght of the cutting edge when cutting on a surface / cutting board (you can´t do this with an Endura), Second, like the Endura it has not to much of a choil/Ricasso sacrificing cutting edge,but the (small) choil on the Kapara is much better to utilize than the Ricasso on the Endura. Third, it has an even better overall-length-to-cutting edge ratio than the Endura. Fourth, it is slimmer in the pocket.

I´d somehow wish for kind of a "budget version" of the Kapara: FRN, backlock, but same overall shape and blade. Would be the perfect "Endura Five" imho. Could even be in VG 10, though I clearly prefer S30V
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

murphjd25 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 pm
The Kapara is awesome!
It is indeed.. ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Smaug wrote:
I got mine the other day. It's pretty nice. I'm not sure I like it better than a good flipper, but it's nice.
I am with you, a good flipper is very cool. But a flipper will by design almost never give you one of the main advantages of the Kapara: Utilizing the whole length of cutting edge on a flat surface, cause the Flipper tab will come in the way. That may not be an issue for most, but if you specifically look for a knife to cut stuff on a flat surface (mainly food prep), the Kapara will win imho.
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Wartstein wrote:
Smaug wrote:
I am with you, a good flipper is very cool. But a flipper will by design almost never give you one of the main advantages of the Kapara: Utilizing the whole length of cutting edge on a flat surface, cause the Flipper tab will come in the way. That may not be an issue for most, but if you specifically look for a knife to cut stuff on a flat surface (mainly food prep), the Kapara will win imho.
Typically I like to use a kitchen knife. Regardless, does anyone else have lock stick on their kapara?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

linuxology wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:17 am
Wartstein wrote:
Smaug wrote:
Typically I like to use a kitchen knife. Regardless, does anyone else have lock stick on their kapara?
Thanx for your reply. Sure, you're right, using a kitchen knife for food prep would be the best choice. But if you are like me a lot on the road and outdoors, sharp (!) kitchenknifes are not always at hand and than the Kapara does a great job. Furthermore, I just like to factually USE the knifes in my Collection, even if it is not always the most sensible choice... ;)
/ No lockstick on my Kapara at all. Recently experienced one on a Shaman which I returned, so I know what you mean.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

No lock stick on my Kapara. Love it!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

No lock stick on my Kapara, but it doesn't swing closed easily, like I've seen PM2s and Para 3s do. It's always got a bit of friction that means it either has to be swung closed HARD, or will need hundreds of cycles more. (and I've already got a couple hundred on this one)

I haven't tried it in kitchen duty yet. It has tough footsteps to follow, since I got the Spydiechef before...

Re. flipper tab interfering with the flat surface, unless the blade is angled up, there is going to be knuckle interference with the counter top or cutting board anyhow. I'd plan to just pull the cutting board back to the edge of the counter top and just use the sharpened part of the edge.
-Jeremy
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Mine will swing closed easily, but only if I grip it so I'm pressing on the tab as close to the pivot as possible. I've noticed others posting that how you hold the knife affects whether the blade will drop freely.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I want to add to my earlier post:

I noticed while flipping my Kapara last night that I could feel the scale clicking against the frame when I pressed they lock. 'Seems I'd loosened the pivot a bit too much.

Just out of curiosity, I tightened both sides down until they started to feel a bit snug, (which was a lot) then backed off a little, putting some care into keeping their tautness even.

Lo and behold! Everything moves easier and more consistently! Tighten down the pivot screws until their Lower parts are below flush, and make them even. Then give it a lot of cycles without lube. Then, when you're sure it's broken in, add a small drop of oil to each washer in the pivot.

It's still not free-swinging, but I find that the blade doesn't bounce back out upon closing like a free-swinging knife, either.

I would buy this knife again in a second, and I don't say that about too many of them...
-Jeremy