Maxamet is ALIVE!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Maxamet is ALIVE!

Post by Deadboxhero »

I just wanna say thank you to Sal and the Golden Crew for giving the knife community the opportunity buy a folding knife in such an exotic and high performance steel like Maxamet, and to continue production even when facing challenges that NO OTHER company would ever face.

People don't really have a reference for how difficult the material is to work with as well as the raw cost per lbs for the steel.

Sal, Spyderco and the Golden Crew deserve the utmost respect and admiration for making this possible and continuing production with the Pm2 and para 3 in 2019.

I am very excited that Maxamet has not been "mothballed"

To have that much carbide volume at that high of a hardness on a folding knife from a production company is legendary and the performance has been unreal.

This is why Spyderco is very dear to me.

Thank you.

Shawn.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Philo Beddoe

Re: Maxamet is ALIVE!

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Is 15V ALIVE?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:09 pm
Is 15V ALIVE?
It never lived my man
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

For sure!!!

Now where is that Military? :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:18 pm
For sure!!!

Now where is that Military? :D
:)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Glad to see it's still in production as well! Love my para 3, would love a Lil Native and a Shaman to match someday :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:07 pm
I just wanna say thank you to Sal and the Golden Crew for giving the knife community the opportunity buy a folding knife in such an exotic and high performance steel like Maxamet, and to continue production even when facing challenges that NO OTHER company would ever face.

People don't really have a reference for how difficult the material is to work with as well as the raw cost per lbs for the steel.

Sal, Spyderco and the Golden Crew deserve the utmost respect and admiration for making this possible and continuing production with the Pm2 and para 3 in 2019.

To have that much carbide volume at that high of a hardness on a folding knife from a production company is legendary and the performance has been unreal.

Thank you.

Shawn.

Amen!

Sal and Spyderco, you go above and beyond in delivering amazing products for your obsessed customers. Thank you! Your efforts do not go unappreciated.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Try counting Spyderco's innovations some time.

Try making a list of firsts onto the market by a production knifemaker and see how long it becomes. Not just steels either. How many times Spyderco ignored conventional wisdom and did things no one else would or could. It's gotten to be too much writing for me. Even when they were beaten to the punch ( S110V for instance) the other company had troubles and instead of working through those problems by assigning the resources and time needed like Spyderco they stopped mid run and sold the ones they had that did pass QC and didn't go back ( will not post the name of the company for obvious reasons ).

Of course there is Cruwear. No one wanted anything to do with it industry wise until Spyderco made it available and showed how good it is and created a market for it and other similar steels. Prior to Spyderco releasing it I had tried talking a few makers and custom knifemakers into it and was told "no one would want it", and : it's too much trouble to work with". Now every release has a waiting list and it's directly due to Spyderco just like so many other things we have come to take for granted.

Yes, Thanks Spyderco! For a bunch of things.

Joe
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Thank you SAL!!!!!!!!

REX 121, 15V, and HAP72 would sell out!!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:07 pm

Thank you.

Shawn.
I second this. Plus with proper technique and sharpening stones, Maxamet isn't that hard to sharpen for being as wear resistant as it is.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I second all of the posts prior to mine. Too many things to be thankful for from Spyderco, which is easily the best manufacturer of knives globally.

But DO NOT sit on your laurels. There is always room for improvement. I don't buy only Spyderco knives but I have never been let down by anything produced by Spyderco. Keep on pushing the envelope.

I find the combination of iterative quality improvement and listening to the customer base that they have created would make an excellent study for collegiate level students at the bachelors, masters and PhD level.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Maxamet PM2? I'm down.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I figured it would come back
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:13 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Is 15V ALIVE?
It never lived my man
Not yet but you did get Sals attention on page 3 of this thread.. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82056&start=40
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:46 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Is 15V ALIVE?
It never lived my man
Not yet but you did get Sals attention on page 3 of this thread.. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82056&start=40
It still doesn't exist right now. Lets see what happens in a few years. For now, Maxamet is ALIVE, rejoice.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
blues

Post by blues »

Preach it, brother!
- Retired from the chase -
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:01 am
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:46 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Is 15V ALIVE?
It never lived my man
It still doesn't exist right now. Lets see what happens in a few years. For now, Maxamet is ALIVE, rejoice.
One big reason we have Maxamet is because of this Feb 2014 thread that got Sals attention and a couple of years later we had Maxamet bladed knives...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62976&p=922779&hili ... te#p922779

Always thought if we gave Spyderco enough time to figure out the problems they were having with it that Maxamet would make it back into production.

Myself I'm awaiting a Maxamet Millie.