Delica & Tasman blade swap

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BLUETYPEII

Delica & Tasman blade swap

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I am curious to find out if doing a Delica and Tasman blade swap is possible. The intention is to make a knife with hawkbill blade on a Delica steel lined handle with a Wiseman signet ring.

I’m wondering if anyone has attempted this already. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Tims

Re: Delica & Tasman blade swap

Post by Tims »

I don’t own a Tasman Salt, so take this with a grain of ..... Salt.
I’d Imagine the Hawkbill blade would not fit into the Delica handle. The Tasman Salt must have at least a different backspacer to accomodate that hawkbill. That being the case, a Delica signet ring wouldn’t accomodate the Tasman blade either.
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

If they can be taken apart it would be easy enough to try, but if they are pinned not sure it's worth the risk until someone who has tried it or sal can chime in, I'd like to know how it goes if you do try
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

DBCOOPER wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:11 pm
If they can be taken apart it would be easy enough to try, but if they are pinned not sure it's worth the risk until someone who has tried it or sal can chime in, I'd like to know how it goes if you do try
Though I already own a Tasman and a Delica I don’t think I will attempt this till Sal chimes in or at least somebody else who has had a successful attempt
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

DBCOOPER wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:11 pm
I’m not sure if the blade will fit or not that’s a good question
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Good luck getting that Tasman back together if disassembled.

If I remember correctly from my old Tasman, it didn't have a different backspacer than what could be found on a tasman. Could be mistaken.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

I did this. It doesn’t work that well.

I used a Tasman salt and wharncliffe delica 4.

The wharncliffe blade does not fit into the salt handles.

The Tasman fits into the delica handles, but here’s the thing with the Wiseman ring: the tip hits the aluminum ring back spacer, dulling the tip, so you have to close it carefully.

A folding karambit is also not worth doing unless you also install a fang opener.

All this would be less of a hassle if spyderco just made an h1 dragonfly hawkbill karambit and just saved everyone the trouble.
Attachments
493603CF-8CCA-4BFB-9592-92445E3A993B.jpeg
Last edited by spambait11 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

D3C9FB94-C528-4A73-9A07-6EB0EB3ACF68.jpeg
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Not sure how many people want a dragonfly h1 karambit with a wave?
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The wharnie fits perfectly in the Salt 2 handles. You have to make sure to change the lock bar too.

- best wishes, Jazz.
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:28 am
Why not? Spyderco makes a lot of models every year which are not popular, and get blown out at discount prices at the end of the year. Adding a dragonfly karambit to this mix would be no different, and they wouldn’t have to pay royalties to a designer to boot.

Besides, you already know what will happen: 5 years from now a younger generation of knife enthusiasts will be pining on the forums for the older models and will try to resurrect the dragonfly karambit calling it a “classic design” they “can’t believe Spyderco got rid of!”

I’m just trying to help the process along.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Why not? Spyderco makes a lot of models every year which are not popular, and get blown out at discount prices at the end of the year. Adding a dragonfly karambit to this mix would be no different, and they wouldn’t have to pay royalties to a designer to boot.

Besides, you already know what will happen: 5 years from now a younger generation of knife enthusiasts will be pining on the forums for the older models and will try to resurrect the dragonfly karambit calling it a “classic design” they “can’t believe Spyderco got rid of!”

I’m just trying to help the process along.
It's easy and fun to spend other peoples money eh?

Joe
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:28 am
IMHO, Most knife users buy on sight, looks and haven't much clue on functionality

And in regards to steel,
If you said it uses s35vn, 8Cr13Mov, they'd give you blank looks and think it was the latest incarnation of R2D2 or C-3PO
or if that was NASA code for something !
If you said it was Cruwear, they'd probably think it's some new snow/skateboarding brand of clothing pushed by the latest Social media whiz !
If you said it had a "wave", they'd think it was designed for the surfing cult !

In saying that, it's nice to have so many knowledgeable people on here to ask because some of the steels are mind blowing.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

spambait11 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:04 pm
...if spyderco just made an h1 dragonfly hawkbill karambit...
necrobump to support this idea. also, that tasman karambit is nice!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

I did a swap with my Tasman 2 hawkbill and delica and LNW ti scales. I posted a while ago. Had to Dremel the back spacer to fit the hawkbill tip and sand down the lock bar thickness a bit if I remember correctly. Now if it's the first Tasman, I don't know.
Attachments
rsz_img_20221231_171024.jpg