Why Don't You Like Framelocks?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bdblue

Re: Why Don't You Like Framelocks?

Post by bdblue »

I don't have a problem with them and have owned a few. My biggest complaint are the models that have a scale on one side but on the lock side they are just a naked liner with no decoration.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I prefer liner locks but I have nothing against framelocks.Both are intuitive and easy to manipulate one hand and this is most important for me. Never had any safety issues with my liner/frame locks.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have grown to dislike them, and will avoid buying any in the future.

I have noticed among those I have, that they are stiffer than liner locks (which I like just fine). In addition, with larger knives anyway, it is easy to put pressure on the lock while holding the knife making it very hard to open, i.e. you are fighting yourself with grip pressure holding the lock closed and (in my case) your thumb trying to open the knife. Ultimately a poor design -- a liner lock avoids this entirely.

And I tend to agree with the complaints about metal scales. I would rather be holding G10 with some grip than smooth titanium, which seems to be the choice for these RIL type knives. So, as for framelocks (aka "RIL" knives), I've been there and done that and am not impressed.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:50 am
I love em.
Me too! But I'm also not picky about lock type. I like 'em all! :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

I'd say it's a matter of preference honestly, but my opinion is a well made frame lock is just as good as any other lock, I've only had liner locks fail on my from battoning, I also disagree with others, I've been able to close frame locks and comp locks left handed no problem at all, tho I don't prefer to do it with frame locks, but being ambidextrous I've always managed, again it's all personal preference.
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

I'd also like to say I prefer steel lock bar inserts, alot of people have had problems with them, but I still like them, even battoning with them I haven't had them fail
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I just got my Ti/CF s90v military and absolutely love the framelock. It feels very solid and has just over 50% lockup with zero blade play in any direction. It takes slightly more pressure to release than the liner locks, which I actually like, since it let's me know that the lock really wants to remain engaged. Never had any knife open by accident (aside from a worn out cheapo), so no complaints whatsoever.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

For my part, there are a couple things:

- The lock bar action is usually too heavy for my taste (ex. CRKT Polar)

- The manufactures often use the fact that it is a frame lock to punk out on putting a scale on that side of the knife. (ex. Domino)
-Jeremy
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

I love them just the same as any other lock, as long as they are well made and suit the design of the knife in question. I think a lot more people would like framelocks if they handled a Sebenza, just as a lot more people would like backlocks if they handled a Native 5.

Regarding their strength under hard use, any time I need something stronger than a slipjoint, I'll most likely be using a fixed blade, so I can't comment on that.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I don’t like them solely because I’ve nearly cut off my thumb when someone bumped my shoulder from behind while I was closing one. Fingers in the blade path seems blatantly stupid to me. Like stepping out into the street in front of a moving car.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:04 pm
I don’t like them solely because I’ve nearly cut off my thumb when someone bumped my shoulder from behind while I was closing one. Fingers in the blade path seems blatantly stupid to me. Like stepping out into the street in front of a moving car.
This^^^
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

from a safety standpoint from worst to best
Friction, Slip joint, Liner, Frame, compression, backlock, cbbl.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I don't dislike them, but there is something to be said for having the same design or material on both sides of the knife. I like the symmetry. I prefer when the relief cut of a framelock is on the inside of the frame (like a Sebenza or Sage 2). I really dislike how CRK will sometimes have a framelock with a different finish then the rest of the knife. When you get a fancy wood inlay on a Sebenza, the handle will typically have a satin finish (or something other than their standard bead blast), but just the framelock will have the bead blast finish. I think it has something to do with whatever treatment they do to harden the lock interface (or at least I've heard people say something to that affect on YT).
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:47 am

Still, linerlocks and framelocks do put your fingers in way of the closing blade, so that's one more reason why comp locks are my favorite.
I agree, comp locks are great. As far as liner locks, I prefer liner locks with either a choil or flipper tab as a buffer between my thumb and the blade. The Domino is a pretty good example of this, pretty hard to get cut while closing the blade.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I have nothing against the lock itself, but metal handles are not for me.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Best to know the uses and limits of your tools. Like them just fine but pick other knives for hard use.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:04 pm
Back locks put your fingers in the path of the blade too. Before Blackie Collins' bolt action lock, was there another lock that allowed the user to keep their fingers out of the path of the blade? Push button lock maybe? The Axis lock, BBL/CBBL, and compression lock are fairly recent designs. How popular are / were manual opening push button lock knives?
timlara

Post by timlara »

They are not my favorite, but I like them just fine as long as they don't have lock stick which has been pretty hit-or-miss in my experience on Spyderco models without the steel insert.

What I really wish would come back is the integral compression lock, though!
Tim
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

timlara wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:01 pm
What I really wish would come back is the integral compression lock, though!
I missed out on all of those. That would combine all of my favorite features / properties into one lock.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

jpm2 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:27 pm
I have nothing against the lock itself, but metal handles are not for me.
Same here.