How often do you carry a fixed blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How often do you carry a fixed blade?

Never, by choice
8%
Never, due to laws
3%
Never, due to how I expect others to react to one
1%
Rarely, only when camping / hiking / boating etc.
42%
Sometimes, but only on the weekends
5%
Sometimes, off and on during the week depending on my needs each day
18%
Every day, outside of work
7%
Every day, including at work.
16%

Total votes: 74

Mom3ntuM

Re: How often do you carry a fixed blade?

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I use my fixed blades only when camping/hiking but it's a bit more than rarely.
It's not allowed to Carry fixed blades in Norway unless you are camping/hiking. You could Carry a fixed blade for workpurposes if you can prove you need it but that would be more like a mora or the likes. I think if you'd Carry a bushcrafter, street Bowie or respect it would not fly with law enforcement..
If you get caught with any knife in any size (pocket knives and multitools with a blade to) without a very Good reason to need it the cops confiscate the knife and you get a 588$ fine.
Ridiculous knife laws in a country that consist mostly of Woods..
🤨
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

For a bit over a year now I've been getting, using and carrying more fixed blades. I usually like to neck carry since it makes it easy to conceal but when wearing several layers of clothing can also be hard to get to so like to carry some small folder in pocket as well.
Living in an urban environment I also often prefer to use a small folder to not freak people out, last month while staying and working with friends in Portuguese outdoors for awhile I ended up hardly ever using a folder anymore.
(still used Victorinox SAK and multitool but all cutting was done with fixed blades, often also carrying a bigger 2nd one)
Also like to try out many edc fixed blades because I'm starting to make knives of my own and I like to make these so it's good to try out many different ones.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Never but the long(too long) awaited Bow River might change that
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:27 pm
I’d like to vote: never but I’d like to. Legally I’m allowed, don’t care how people react, just haven’t found the right knife.

I’d like to see something with a smaller sheath, 3 inch blade.
Try the Kizlyar Super Hammy. I got one from a friend of mine in Russia,and it's like a fixed blade Dragonfly.Aus8,leather sheath for vertical or horizontal carry.quality is realy surprising.
Attachments
hammy.jpg
hammy.jpg (6.72 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

spyderwolf wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:02 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
I’d like to vote: never but I’d like to. Legally I’m allowed, don’t care how people react, just haven’t found the right knife.

Try the Kizlyar Super Hammy. I got one from a friend of mine in Russia,and it's like a fixed blade Dragonfly.Aus8,leather sheath for vertical or horizontal carry.quality is realy surprising.

Thanks for the recommendation. That looks like it would fit the bill. Unfortunately it’s not a Spyderco product. Thats what I’m after here. :D
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I work a lot and probably 80% of my carry time is at work, and at that job I have a pretty strict dress code and knives sticking out/off my belt is not allowed. That's the biggest reason I don't carry a fixie, my wardrobe really limits my carry options. I've tried some pocket sheath ideas and they work for carrying but I've found that getting the knife safely back into that pocket sheath is usually a two handed affair, and sometimes when I need my knife it's in a hurry and I don't want to accidentally stab myself trying to sheath my knife. In that way folders are far easier (at least with a pocket sheath) so for now that's where I'm at. I really prefer to keep things concealed regardless of laws or opinions of other people. I like to stay low key so I'm not really an open carry type of guy even with my guns.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I carry my Swick almost daily.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 am
I carry my Swick almost daily.
Which one? I've got a 3 I love, looking forward to the LC200N release next year.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:44 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. That looks like it would fit the bill. Unfortunately it’s not a Spyderco product. Thats what I’m after here. :D
Have you ever tried the swick?
boamedt

Post by boamedt »

I voted all the time. My benchmade puukko hasnt left my side since i got it. So versatile and great edc size. Im not one to notice or care what others perceptions are. Screw em', it legal where i am. I also carry a folder too. I find accessing my fb to be slightly easier just because i dont have to flip it open once i pull it out. I havent found a fixed blade spyderco yet that i really love, but no one carries them around here
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:00 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
spyderwolf wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

Indeed I have. I don’t have it anymore bough so I’ll definitely buy the new one coming out.

While I do like the Swick, I’d prefer something more traditional for waistband carry. I’m considering the junction.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
vivi

Post by vivi »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:10 pm
Vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:00 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
spyderwolf wrote:

Indeed I have. I don’t have it anymore bough so I’ll definitely buy the new one coming out.

While I do like the Swick, I’d prefer something more traditional for waistband carry. I’m considering the junction.
you and me both.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

boamedt wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:33 pm
I voted all the time. My benchmade puukko hasnt left my side since i got it. So versatile and great edc size. Im not one to notice or care what others perceptions are. Screw em', it legal where i am.
Well said. If you are a decent person and somebody is uptight about the knife you are carrying, it is their problem.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Voted "rarely";
Only when multi day or more serious mountaineering, I carry a rather small fixed blade:
- Better for fire making (batoning branches and so on)
- And with a fixed, you have kind of an emergency prybar at hands. So you could repair ski bindings, pry open a locked door of a shelter in case of emergency and so on. A fixed blade will maybe get damaged performing such tasks, but a folders lock will probably break
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Liquid Cobra wrote:

Hope it´s ok to recommend a non Spyderco: Look at the White River Knifes Backpacker, Backpacker plus or Caper (all the same blade, just different handle configurations); I own the Backpacker plus, exactly what I want in a small fixed; also considered the "Enuff", would have chosen this if just the cutting edge was a little longer and the steal were S30V instead of VG10 (the backpacker gives me both)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Quite often really. It gives me the choice of a very sharp folder and a near indestructable knife.
Usually my DB copy, in M390, carried inside the belt.

Or when I feel like it, my Jerry Brouwer Nezumi.
In a IWB sheath.

Last edited by Piet.S on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

I carry one everyday on top of having a folder, for the I just don't want to use my folder on that situations
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

DBCOOPER wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:29 am
I carry one everyday on top of having a folder, for the I just don't want to use my folder on that situations
That's pretty much me too. Sometimes I carry just the fixed blade, but I often carry both.

In winter, I carry a fixed blade every day, all the time. In summer, sometimes it's just the folder.
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:27 am
DBCOOPER wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:29 am
That's pretty much me too. Sometimes I carry just the fixed blade, but I often carry both.

In winter, I carry a fixed blade every day, all the time. In summer, sometimes it's just the folder.
Yea my folders are usually high edge retention, and my fixed blades have some softer more tough steel, easy for touch ups
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
GrayJay

Post by GrayJay »

I’m in the “rarely, when hiking/fishing/working” group.

I work in an formal office environment, so anything beyond maybe a swiss army knife on a keychain is a no-go. On weekends in town I edc a rotation of stainless folders.

Fixed blades shine in a few specific cases:

(1) hiking, nordic skiing, backpacking: a fixed blade comes out for food prep because it’s way easier to clean than a folder (think spreading peanut butter). Otherwise it lives in my pack with the other ten essentials. If there’s an emergency and I have to make shelter or fire unexpectedly, I really don’t want to rely on a folder. My new PD-1 Mule is now the go-to for this role.

(2) Fishing: same rationale as above. A small fixed blade lives in my fly-fishing kit—because I really don’t want to clean trout guts out of a liner lock.

(3) Work: although I usually pack a folder when doing yard and house work, sometimes a big fixed blade comes in handy for clearing brush.

Thats about it. In the relatively knife-phobic urban Pacific NW, a fixed blade provokes too many awkward conversations. Outside the city, it’s no problem.