Please help a British Bobby find his knife!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gump12

Please help a British Bobby find his knife!

Post by Gump12 »

Ladies and gents!

Firstly I would like to apologise if this is in the wrong section, I am brand new to the community and thought this would be the correct place!

I am no knife expert or amateur, in fact this will be my first ever knife purchase!

I am a British police officer and am looking for a knife for work. I understand that with my job I can lawfully carry a locking knife, but I want something that conforms to the standard uk carry laws! So non locking folding, with cutting edge less than 7.62cm.

So naturally I’ve been looking at the ukpk and the ukpk in s110. Again I am completely knew and on doing research the s110 is better steel. But I prefer the black handle!

Without sounding morbid, this knife will be mainly used to cut down certain things in an emergency that in past experience the rope is too thick for my seat belt cutter.

So I thought serated would be ideal and I know one of the knifes you guys sell are 50/50 but it locks so it’s out of the question.

My budget is around £150

I’ve been looking for ages, but I thought someone on here may have an idea of something I’ve missed!

Thanks in advance

Josh
Uke

Re: Please help a British Bobby find his knife!

Post by Uke »

Hi mate and welcome! When I used to work security back in the UK I carried the old orange G10 UKPK Rescue with serrated sheepsfoot S30V blade. A fantastic UK legal knife (with the added benefit at work of being a sheepsfoot) - I thrashed it (verging on abuse involving a cable bike lock!) and that blade will go through the things you needed it to. Unfortunately they are discontinued now but I'd honestly recommend trying to find one second hand, especially with the limited UK legal options over there. Spyderco also did an FRN version of the Rescue too which you might have better luck tracking down.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Gump12 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:21 am
Ladies and gents!

Firstly I would like to apologise if this is in the wrong section, I am brand new to the community and thought this would be the correct place!

I am no knife expert or amateur, in fact this will be my first ever knife purchase!

I am a British police officer and am looking for a knife for work. I understand that with my job I can lawfully carry a locking knife, but I want something that conforms to the standard uk carry laws! So non locking folding, with cutting edge less than 7.62cm.

So naturally I’ve been looking at the ukpk and the ukpk in s110. Again I am completely knew and on doing research the s110 is better steel. But I prefer the black handle!

Without sounding morbid, this knife will be mainly used to cut down certain things in an emergency that in past experience the rope is too thick for my seat belt cutter.

So I thought serated would be ideal and I know one of the knifes you guys sell are 50/50 but it locks so it’s out of the question.

My budget is around £150

I’ve been looking for ages, but I thought someone on here may have an idea of something I’ve missed!

Thanks in advance

Josh
Hello, hello, hello, mate!

Spyderco used to do a non locking UKPK with a rescue type serrated blade. These are pretty rare but you might be lucky with an appeal on EdgeMatters forum or the SpydercoUK Facebook group.

At the budget end, there is the Byrd Wings non locker which has both plain edge and serrated blades. That’s discontinued but apparently still in stock at Knives and Tools.

Much better than that would be the more recently released, and therefore current, non-locking Clipitool Rescue which has the Rescue blade *and* a seatbelt cutter and which is so perfectly suited to the UK emergency services it probably ought to be standard issue. And it’s black. Heinnie Haynes have ‘em in stock.

The locking rescue knives, & non locking UKPK’s, Urban & Squeak have better steels, though.

Good luck!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Gump12 wrote:
Ladies and gents!

My budget is around £150

Thanks in advance

Josh
The P.I.T.S is the only non locking knife I will own.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hi Josh, welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Now I wanna know what he's cutting down lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

Guys!

Thanks for the overwhelming responses so far! On mobile so will check up the recommendations in the morning! The knifes are a lot more expensive over here and it’s very hard to get hold of second hand ones. Most websites seem to be American. Thank you for your shouts anymore would be greatly appreciated! If I did stay with the ukpk s110 is it a huge advantage over the standard ukpk?
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:22 pm
Didn’t want to start the post with two much info! Dead / almost dead people unfortunately. We’re all adults here!

I dealt with a chap the other day who made his own rope which he coated in a Teflon wrap. It was so thick his wife couldn’t even cut it down with a serated kitchen knife. I just want to ensure that for future if I come across the same tough rope I have something good to hand, in case they aren’t gone yet!

Thanks for the warm welcome lads
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The newest of the standard UKPK’s comes with BD1n steel, which appears to be much better than the older BD1 steel. Black handle. Easier to sharpen than the s110v. Just got one and really
like it. And way under your budget. I would say give it a try.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Try a plain/serrated clip it tool

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... rrated/857

You'll have money left over for the UKPK and you might as well buy a Sharpmaker as well to maintain them and keep them sharp.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

Personally I would avoid anything in S110v for Police work. Its an excellent cutting steel but it doesn't seem to be very forgiving if you accedentaly pry something with it.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:22 pm
Sadly, probably folks who took their own lives, or attempted to do so, by hanging.
Gump12 wrote:
Ladies and gents!

Josh
Josh, it's very respectable that you want to buy a knife that's legal for anyone in the UK to carry, and not take advantage of your status as police officer. However, given the nature of your work - being called on to literally save lives - I think that getting a locking blade rescue folder might be most prudent. Whatever your choice, I hope it serves you well when the need arises. Stay safe, and don't forget to take care of yourself.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Hi Josh, welcome to the forum.
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

Hi guys just testing to see if this message gets approved or if other responses have been lost in the nether!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The UKPK is still available in serrated edge. The steel is Gin-1, which is good enough. S110V will normally stay sharp longer, but when you have to sharpen it, unless you have diamonds and are good at sharpening, you are going to be frustrated and have a perpetually dull knife. There is also a partially serrated version.

The knife comes in burgundy, blue, and gray with the serrations.

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Buy a locking folder,probably a serrated Endura will be perfect for you.If you are set on buying a non locking knife,the friction folder,with it's sheath is the next best choice.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Snorky

Post by Snorky »

While I admire your notion of staying within the wider framework of the law, you are exempt for a reason and a reason you have already identified. You are going to need to have a serrated tool that is both sharp enough to cut people down and that does so under some extremely stressful moments... and the last thing you want to do with a serrated blade under these circumstances is to have that blade fold up on you.

I'd suggest the Cliptool Rescue as a primary tool for this task. It has a serrated blade and a strap/seatbelt cutter, and a small flathead/prybar tool. It comes in under your budget, too. You could invest the rest in a Sharpmaker and keep the serrations from going blunt.
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

Lads!

Thank you for the huge range of responses!

You lads have all changed my mind, but now! Now we are onto another question!

This is going to be a cheeky chrismas present request from the partner. As I live in the UK it is a nightmare to get knifes here. I'm going to make reference to work about having a locking knife just purely because the public isnt always on our side and officers are getting stuck on for all manner of stuff lately!

Alas I cant see any issues, so locking knife is going to be the way forward.

So here comes question 2, I am going to get a salt knife, I regularly scuba dive so I may aswell double up!

I was looking at the Assist Salt rescue, I can get it for £133 GBP or around $97 usd but it will cost around the same amount for import charges!

Or, I can get a Spyderco Pacific Salt Edge Folding Knife - Yellow on amazon uk for £89!

I cant find any atlantic salts for anywhere near that low price.

Does the assist salt warrent nearly a 50% increase over the pacific, and does the atlantic offer anything over the pacific other than shape.

I honestly am very greatful for all the responses, it's not often a newbie gets such a warm welcome on forums!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Pacific Salt is excellent ergonomically and the H1 rustproof steel is stellar when serrated. It’s nowhere near as “friendly” looking, mind, as the Atlantic Salt, which may be important as they are both quite large blades.

Mind Your Fingers has the vg10 Rescue knives much cheaper still, including the smaller but very capable 79mm version for £56 (the larger is £73) .

With Spyderco, one is never enough, anyway ...
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:36 am
The Pacific Salt is excellent ergonomically and the H1 rustproof steel is stellar when serrated. It’s nowhere near as “friendly” looking, mind, as the Atlantic Salt, which may be important as they are both quite large blades.

Mind Your Fingers has the vg10 Rescue knives much cheaper still, including the smaller but very capable 79mm version for £56 (the larger is £73) .

With Spyderco, one is never enough, anyway ...

Thanks mate,

From reviews the H1 seems to be rated more than the vg10. Again I am a newb.

So for clarifications the Pacific is more of an aggressive looking Atlantic with a prominent tip. So not really worth paying more for the Atlantic. (I would choose Atlantic at the same price)

What’s your Opinion in the assist salt light? Is it worth the extra cash?