Please help a British Bobby find his knife!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blueblur

Re: Please help a British Bobby find his knife!

Post by blueblur »

If those are the prices you’re coming across, I’d get the Pacific Salt all day long. I haven’t handled an Atlantic Salt but have a vg10 assist I keep in the car. For a general use knife I definitely prefer something with some sort of point. Get the Pacific Salt and don’t look back!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Caribbean leaf SE or Pac Salt SE.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

blueblur wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:43 am
If those are the prices you’re coming across, I’d get the Pacific Salt all day long. I haven’t handled an Atlantic Salt but have a vg10 assist I keep in the car. For a general use knife I definitely prefer something with some sort of point. Get the Pacific Salt and don’t look back!
I think... i may tactically play this and ask for a ukpk s110 for the edc. Then buy the cheaper Pacific salt myself for work!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Gump12 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:49 pm
blueblur wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:43 am
I think... i may tactically play this and ask for a ukpk s110 for the edc. Then buy the cheaper Pacific salt myself for work!
I like how you're thinking.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I think you should get a locking knife. As a bobby, you're more likely to need something "weapons grade" than a regular subject. In that case, it would be nice to have every advantage.

The longer blade would also make it easier to cut cordage without having to settle for a serrated blade. I say "settled" because serrated blades can be a pain at non-cordage tasks.

How about the classic: Spyderco Police? There are several blade steel and handle options.

If you REALLY want to stick with a subject-legal knife, how about getting a UKPK, which you'd use most of the time, and the Police, which you'd keep for when things really got sticky? UKPK with a plain edge, Police = serrated.

I have the Squeak, which is the little brother to the UKPK, and I just love it to bits.
-Jeremy
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

I'm going to ignore your wants and still recommend a police 4 ^>^
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Gump12 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:55 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:22 pm
Now I wanna know what he's cutting down lol
Didn’t want to start the post with two much info! Dead / almost dead people unfortunately. We’re all adults here!

I dealt with a chap the other day who made his own rope which he coated in a Teflon wrap. It was so thick his wife couldn’t even cut it down with a serated kitchen knife. I just want to ensure that for future if I come across the same tough rope I have something good to hand, in case they aren’t gone yet!

Thanks for the warm welcome lads
Oh that makes sense now, gosh I'm thick headed :rolleyes:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

S110V is very hard, maybe not ideal for police work where unexpected side load might happen.
viewtopic.php?t=82135
And welcome to the forum!
Chris :spyder:
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Gump12 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 am
Lads!

Thank you for the huge range of responses!

You lads have all changed my mind, but now! Now we are onto another question!

This is going to be a cheeky chrismas present request from the partner. As I live in the UK it is a nightmare to get knifes here. I'm going to make reference to work about having a locking knife just purely because the public isnt always on our side and officers are getting stuck on for all manner of stuff lately!

Alas I cant see any issues, so locking knife is going to be the way forward.

So here comes question 2, I am going to get a salt knife, I regularly scuba dive so I may aswell double up!

I was looking at the Assist Salt rescue, I can get it for £133 GBP or around $97 usd but it will cost around the same amount for import charges!

Or, I can get a Spyderco Pacific Salt Edge Folding Knife - Yellow on amazon uk for £89!

I cant find any atlantic salts for anywhere near that low price.

Does the assist salt warrent nearly a 50% increase over the pacific, and does the atlantic offer anything over the pacific other than shape.

I honestly am very greatful for all the responses, it's not often a newbie gets such a warm welcome on forums!
I think this salt may be your flavour.Not agressive looking,highly capable.Pricey,but you will enjoy it.
Attachments
STANDARD-2598859c12215e4410-600x500.jpg
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I think the atlantic salt knife has a serrated edge and a blunter tip... similar to the rescue knives but in rust resistant h1.

It's also safety yellow.

I know you wanted to avoid locking blades which I admire inasmuch as you seem to be wanting to stay on the same footing as others in your jurisdiction, but a lot of the knives out there are locking, and in the field you may benefit from the locking.
some options...
A "sabre ground" Endura might fit the bill....thicker spine than a full flat grind, long blade, g-10 that is good steel but also easy to keep sharp, not sure if they come serrated though. i don't carry mine that much (it's big) but when I need a knife that can handle tougher stuff it works. I'd recommend the para2 but it is full flat grind maybe too thin if you need to pry something in an emergency.
also...

Spyderco actually makes a "police" knife that comes serrated, not sure if it'd be good for what you want as it is quite large and pointy, but it does come with serrations and is built like a tank.

Be safe over there in England! Regards from New Jersey, USA.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:42 pm
I think the atlantic salt knife has a serrated edge and a blunter tip... similar to the rescue knives but in rust resistant h1.

It's also safety yellow.

I know you wanted to avoid locking blades which I admire inasmuch as you seem to be wanting to stay on the same footing as others in your jurisdiction, but a lot of the knives out there are locking, and in the field you may benefit from the locking.
some options...
A "sabre ground" Endura might fit the bill....thicker spine than a full flat grind, long blade, g-10 that is good steel but also easy to keep sharp, not sure if they come serrated though. i don't carry mine that much (it's big) but when I need a knife that can handle tougher stuff it works. I'd recommend the para2 but it is full flat grind maybe too thin if you need to pry something in an emergency.
also...

Spyderco actually makes a "police" knife that comes serrated, not sure if it'd be good for what you want as it is quite large and pointy, but it does come with serrations and is built like a tank.

Be safe over there in England! Regards from New Jersey, USA.
Endura does come in full serrated or combo. Both of these are sabre ground, supposedly stronger than full flat ground.
Chris :spyder:
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

Chaps!

Thanks for the awesome replies! It really is a shame to be honest, I’m sure you guys have seen the hugely escalating problem of knife crime in the uk, but in the grand scheme locking knifes aren’t the biggest culprit!

But to stay in the side of caution I will contact work professional standards when off holiday and will let them know about the locking knife, I am current looking at the assist or Pacific (Pacific is on offer!) for work related cutting.

I am new to the idea of an edc knife, I know it’s a standard in the us but honestly I would say in the uk less than 0.01% of the population carry a knife on their person everyday for the sake of it! Alas it’s smart to carry it if you are sensible.

So as an edc the ukpk is ideal as it was made for the uk! Everyone says that the s110 is strong but is likely to snap when used to pry. How hard pushing are we talking to get a knife to snap? Is it worth waiting and hoping they make it in other steel variants?
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

spyderwolf wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:49 am
I think this salt may be your flavour.Not agressive looking,highly capable.Pricey,but you will enjoy it.
Which knife is that buddy??
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Gump12 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:06 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:49 am
Which knife is that buddy??
That is the Caribbean, but in a sheepsfoot blade. I have the leaf shaped one and LOVE it.

If you get it, you will probably keep it till you die. It's about perfect.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

well, as many Brits and other EU knife nuts, I love buying from Heinnie. They have the SE Pacific for 100 quid,
and please don't ask me if I like it... :D

it's a no brainer for this Christmas!
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

^ You have too many. You should give them to deserving forum members... darn this jedi mind trick thing doesn't work through text does it?
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:00 pm
well, as many Brits and other EU knife nuts, I love buying from Heinnie. They have the SE Pacific for 100 quid,
and please don't ask me if I like it... :D

it's a no brainer for this Christmas!
The se Pacific is on amazon for 79.99!! I’m set on it now! :D
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Honestly you would be fine with any of the knives discussed to date-
For my pound it would be a UKPK (model code c94pbk3) I find a plane edge to be more helpful in my life personally and prefer the bd1 over H1 and since it uses a 50/50 choil you are unlikely to chop yourself.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Hi,

I don't think anyone's specifically mentioned sharpening gear, but I recommend that you get something at the very least to touch up these edges. You may have this covered of course, but I'm just aware that we're discussing pretty fancy steel's that won't be that easy to sharpen say with conventional oil stone or water stones.

Regarding knives, I'd suggest a pairing of UKPK for EDC, with a non-pointed serrated heavy duty blade as the work/rescue etc professional blade. If you've got the UKPK as well you don't really need a point on the serrated blade. An equally if you have the heavy duty knife, the UKPK could maybe be the normal BD1 steel to keep total costs down.

Cheers (from Scotland), Tony S
---------
Tony S
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gump,

Welcome to our forum.

sal