Please help a British Bobby find his knife!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gump12

Re: Please help a British Bobby find his knife!

Post by Gump12 »

aesmith wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:02 am
Hi,

I don't think anyone's specifically mentioned sharpening gear, but I recommend that you get something at the very least to touch up these edges. You may have this covered of course, but I'm just aware that we're discussing pretty fancy steel's that won't be that easy to sharpen say with conventional oil stone or water stones.

Regarding knives, I'd suggest a pairing of UKPK for EDC, with a non-pointed serrated heavy duty blade as the work/rescue etc professional blade. If you've got the UKPK as well you don't really need a point on the serrated blade. An equally if you have the heavy duty knife, the UKPK could maybe be the normal BD1 steel to keep total costs down.

Cheers (from Scotland), Tony S
Hi mate, I agree! I think im going for a pacific salt for the work heavy duty. And likely to get a UKPK for EDC. :) I was going to invest in a spyderco sharp marker in due course!

:D
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I bet a lot of Brits are carrying quietly; small slip joints.

We sometimes kid in the US: they took away your guns in the UK, so now its knives, and now they're after knives too. Better to address the root cause of violent crime that to ban the tools of it. Human ingenuity will always come up with a new weapon.

The Swiss once said about the USA: "You dont need gun control, you need social control." I couldn't agree more, and their record bears it out.

Don't try to limit yourself to something that looks inoffensive. You are the POLICE. You need to be better armed than the general population in order to be effective in case you're called upon in a bad situation. If your pocket knife doubles as a back-up weapon, the general population should be glad to have a well-armed Bobby looking after them. (Since it's pretty much illegal now to defend oneself in the UK...)
-Jeremy
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

Lads!

The time has arrived, it has been Christmas. Whilst on holiday and typing to you lads the Missus noticed I was commenting on this thread and saw I was leaning towards the assist salt.

I was gifted a trip to new york and an assist salt! It's a beautiful tool!

Might be able to pick up something else when I land in the states for the first time! :D

Thanks for all your help and advice.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Nice one!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Kyle8734

Post by Kyle8734 »

Check out the new Native 5 salt. It is a locking knife, but comes in plain edge or serrated. Also the LC200N steel is awesome. I was gifted one by my girlfriend this Christmas and have been loving it so far. At just over $100 here in the US I think it is definitely a great knife to look into. Good luck to you.. really anything from Spyderco should serve you well. Every single knife I have bought from them has been great. I just started buying them a little over a year ago starting with an Endura and ever since that knife I just couldn't stop lol. Now I own nine folders and three Mule Team fixed blades from them and I know it won't stop there.
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

:D I think a UKPK s110v will be my next. I can then carry it :D
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Gump12 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:47 pm
:D I think a UKPK s110v will be my next. I can then carry it :D
I carry a ukpk s110v in my sweatpants pocket around the house, even while sleeping. It's a great lightweight all purpose knife.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Gump12 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:39 pm
Lads!

The time has arrived, it has been Christmas. Whilst on holiday and typing to you lads the Missus noticed I was commenting on this thread and saw I was leaning towards the assist salt.

Might be able to pick up something else when I land in the states for the first time! :D

You want a Caribbean Leaf PE!

It is the knife you are looking for.

*Jedi Hand Wave*
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

If New York City, don't walk around with the clip showing. Outside the city is fine.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would be cautious of carrying a knife in NY because of all the crazy people's thinking in politics there. Nice people up there, but the politicians leave a lot to be desired and the cops seem bent on making criminals of ordinary people (perhaps they have an arrest quota?).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:57 pm
Gump12 wrote:
Lads!

*Jedi Hand Wave*
As lovely as it looks, got to be sub 3 inches cutting edge for me to carry here!
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

I don’t plan on taking anything sharp to NY. Although I’m a officer myself, seen lots of horror videos on YouTube with the police across the pond and don’t fancy causing any grief for myself! Aha
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Gump12 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:33 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:57 pm
Gump12 wrote:
Lads!

*Jedi Hand Wave*
As lovely as it looks, got to be sub 3 inches cutting edge for me to carry here!
I thought coppers were exempt from those draconian restrictions.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:44 pm
I thought coppers were exempt from those draconian restrictions.
I got the assist for work, but the ukpk is going to be for personal daily which I’m not exempt for unfortunately! The Caribbean looks great but it’s just ever so slightly to large!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gump12 wrote:
Lads!

How do you like the knife so far? (And how was New York? ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:39 am
Gump12 wrote:
Lads!

How do you like the knife so far? (And how was New York? ;) )
New York in 1 week!!!!

Knife has been fantastic, only used it for trivial things. Cut down one male but he was already gone so no time pressure. No effort to cut anything! I’ve got the sharp marker not had to use it yet.
Thanks for asking!

Ukpk next :D but wasn’t sure if a new version is being released so holding off for a bit! Thank you for asking though!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gump12 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:27 am

... Cut down one male but he was already gone so no time pressure....
:eek: I am not a native speaker in English, so I am not sure if "male" maybe is also the term for anything other than, you now, a person of the gender that grows a beard... or if that´s a british-humor -joke :D ... or if you have a really brutal day to day life... :p
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:10 pm
Gump12 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:27 am

... Cut down one male but he was already gone so no time pressure....
:eek: I am not a native speaker in English, so I am not sure if "male" maybe is also the term for anything other than, you now, a person of the gender that grows a beard... or if that´s a british-humor -joke :D ... or if you have a really brutal day to day life... :p
Ahaha! Police speak takes over when I type, I meant a male as in a person who can grow a beard ;~)