Sprints or exclusives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
csx2006

Sprints or exclusives?

Post by csx2006 »

So now that the catalog has been released. Is there any word or does anyone know about any upcoming sprints or exclusives? I've picked up what I think has to be every para 2 and manix 2 ever made in the last couple months. Now I need a few more, lol.
weeping minora

Re: Sprints or exclusives?

Post by weeping minora »

I once ventured into the distant future and from what info I gathered, there will be many more sprints and exclusives in the upcoming months, years, decades... but when it came to which and when, I woke up :eek:. Looks like I'm in this for the long haul too :cool:
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

All I've heard is that DLT is doing a rerun of the red M390 PM2 in the spring.
Dornbox

Post by Dornbox »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:18 pm
Yes please! So excited for this and the Maxamet to come back.
Too many Military family variants... and yet not enough.
:spyder:
csx2006

Post by csx2006 »

ABX2011 wrote:
I hope so, I don't have that one.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

ABX2011 wrote:
Great news.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
fixall

Post by fixall »

I saw a worrying quote from Sal earlier:

“Sprints are still going, but they are a bit different in that they are all disco'd models.”

I sure hope that doesn’t mean that we will no longer see sprint runs of current production knives! I know we’d still have distributor exclusives, but I absolutely love trying out exotic steels on current production knives and I’d hate to see one of those sources dry up.

Two of my favorite knives of all time are sprint runs of non-discontinued models (the REX45 Para3 and HAP40 Wharncliffe Delica).
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

:D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Great photo!
csx2006

Post by csx2006 »

fixall wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:31 pm

“Sprints are still going, but they are a bit different in that they are all disco'd models.”

I sure hope that doesn’t mean that we will no longer see sprint runs of current production knives! I know we’d still have distributor exclusives, but I absolutely love trying out exotic steels on current production knives and I’d hate to see one of those sources dry up.

Two of my favorite knives of all time are sprint runs of non-discontinued models (the REX45 Para3 and HAP40 Wharncliffe Delica).
Oh no!!!!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

fixall wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:31 pm

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times now. Part of me hopes that we are misunderstanding this somehow, another part of me breathes a sigh of relief. There have been so many special knives this year, but most have been exclusives, not sprints. A notable exception being the Rex 45 group of sprints. I am glad those got made before this new ruling came down.

On yet another hand, this gives me hope of any number of interesting things. For example the Backlock Manix in Sprint runs with interesting steels. This is a good way for Spyderco to make use of whatever tooling is laying around from discontinued models.

And there is another angle too. People have said they didn't buy a backlock manix because they were waiting for sprints. People have said that they are holding off buying a Shaman waiting for an interesting sprint. This policy would smoke out people of this sort.

There is a bright side to everything. I can hope for a sprint of the Temperance 2 in 52100 for example.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nice pic Pat. I was late to the Spyderco party for that M390. The BBS Para 3, being one of my favorites...I salivate at the opportunity to get a shot at that DLT PM2!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

If the quote is accurate and not misspoken then sounds like spyderco wants exclusives to take a bigger role. Fine by me I think the dealers and distributors do a fine job of keeping the people happy with their exclusive combinations they seem to mostly sell out especially pm2 and para 3
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:39 am
If the quote is accurate and not misspoken then sounds like spyderco wants exclusives to take a bigger role. Fine by me I think the dealers and distributors do a fine job of keeping the people happy with their exclusive combinations they seem to mostly sell out especially pm2 and para 3
Totally agree. This past year has been bonkers with all the exclusives. Pretty much every one of them has sold out rather quickly as well, leaving this forum with quite a few happy campers. I'd love to see more exclusives in different models this coming year though.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
That's great if those 2 are all that's wanted..the problem with that is the distributors and dealers concentrate heavily on those 2 knives because they sell out the fastest..pm2 and pm3..occasionally a Manix is done. Has any other distributor or dealer done anything with the Miliie other than BHQ and KW's? Would we have a Rex 45 Millie if it was left up to one of the dealers or distributors?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:13 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
That's great if those 2 are all that's wanted..the problem with that is the distributors and dealers concentrate heavily on those 2 knives because they sell out the fastest..pm2 and pm3..occasionally a Manix is done. Has any other distributor or dealer done anything with the Miliie other than BHQ and KW's? Would we have a Rex 45 Millie if it was left up to one of the dealers or distributors?
River's edge and St Nick's each had first time exclusives such as pvd cts204p and dlc 4v so that's encouraging that they are bringing new offerings to the Spyderco market. Plus bhq brought back the lum and lum tanto
Spydergirl88
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sprinting only discontinueds, using other companies to spark exclusive components for knives still in production—not to forget a very different 2019 catalog—all tell me Spyderco it is about to become risk-averse and thus something we are not accustomed to.

ETA: Sal corrected himself on Blade Forum: “I am wrong, my bad. We do make sprints of current models with variations in materials.” My inference about risk-aversion now seems off the mark. As a fan of sprints, I’m glad to be wrong.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

If Spyderco was to stop doing sprints of popular models like the Para 2, instead only releasing them as exclusives that would be terrible for non U.S Spyderco fans. Some people have a hard time getting exclusives from stores in the U.S. For many it’s simply not an option at all. Sprint runs on the other hand ensure that those knives get distributed to all Spyderco dealers around the world.

I hope this situation gets some clarification.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:37 am
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:13 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
River's edge and St Nick's each had first time exclusives such as pvd cts204p and dlc 4v so that's encouraging that they are bringing new offerings to the Spyderco market. Plus bhq brought back the lum and lum tanto
Para 3 and Para 3+Delica..the 4v Delica is still showing a lot in stock even after the reduced price they had them for sale over Thanksgiving/BF..not sure how much appetite St. Nicks will have for straying away from from Para 2 and 3's after the Delica hasn't done that well?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The St Nick's delica is hap40 and hap40 is pretty played out right now. Knifecenter's pakkawood exclusive sold out bc it's a great mix of materials at a better price than st nicks delica I realize they are different but still. Golden exclusives are where it's at in my opinion concerning selling out fast
Spydergirl88