Spyderco on Amazon

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bubinga

Spyderco on Amazon

Post by bubinga »

Is it generally safe to get Spyderco on Amazon if there's a good reason for doing so?
Do they get their inventory directly from Spyderco? I've read a lot about fakes, but hard to tell how true this is.
Evil D

Re: Spyderco on Amazon

Post by Evil D »

Just search the forum, there's a lot of info about it here. I buy stuff from them but not knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Short simple answer, NO! Longer answer, the stories regarding fakes on Amazon are true and well documented. They buy some of their inventory from Spyderco, but they also buy from whatever source is cheapest, which makes them prime targets for counterfeiters. They also are known to co-mingle their own stock with stock for "sold by XXXX with fulfillment by Amazon" third party sellers, opening up another source for bogus merchandise. At the very least, I would advise only buying Spyderco models from Amazon that you have absolute confidence in your ability to differentiate real from fake.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bubinga,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

I wouldn't chance it. Plenty of fakes on amazon. Some guy buys a legit one from Amazon, also a fake one from aliexpress. Returns Amazon one, but sends the fake one back instead. Amazon puts it back on their shelf for some sucker to buy. Makes me angry just typing it out...but happens all the time. Amazon is too big of an operation as well as not knowledgeable about much of what they sell. Not a good combo for certain things. So, buying from Amazon, screen protector for your phone = yes. Paramilitary 2 = no. IMO of course.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I think these guys are making a bigger deal of it than it needs to be. If it’s “fullfilled by...” you might have to worry. I have ordered plenty from amazon and never got one that was a fake. It’s true that there are possibilities but they have a good return policy as well. Things happen and one guy got an empty box recently.
On the other hand, I got a puukko for $60 and a caly3.5 for $100. There is more risk, but you are more then likely going to get exactly what you ordered. Got a serrated para 3 delivered today and cost $85 or so.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can make money but I can't make time. My time is worth more to me than what I'd save on Amazon.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I won't buy knives from Amazon. I had a 50/50 success ratio before I gave up.

Sometimes people use a knife for a few days then return it as new, and no one knows any better. They'll sell you that lightly used knife as new.

Sometimes the knife is a fake.

Sometimes the knife you get doesn't match the picture shown. That happened to me trying to buy some Cara Cara 2's in G10....I received 2 stainless steel Cara Cara 1's. Another time I ordered a Police 3 in G10 for a back-up to my user and again got a stainless version instead....one that had a very damaged box and looked like it had cut a few things.

They sell below MAP, which doesn't seem fair to companies that abide by it.

In the end I decided Amazon won't be hurting if they lose my business, but small family owned knife shops will appreciate it. New Graham etc. may charge a bit more, but they know precisely what they're selling and will answer any questions you have. I'll pay extra for good service and knowledgeable staff.
:unicorn
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

I have had nothing but good luck with amazon, but everything everyone says is true, it is a risk, and I would advise going through a major knife retailer with any knife purchase.
Amazon gets alot of returns, which they may not even examine if it's real or used or may not even know better
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
James Y

Post by James Y »

I buy things like books, DVd movies and etc., on Amazon. I will admit that in the past I've ordered a couple of Victorinox SAKs from Amazon without any troubles. However, I would not buy a Spyderco from Amazon. There are many good online knife dealers that sell Spydercos for about the same prices as you'd find on Amazon. Too much of a risk of getting a clone or a badly flawed, returned knife.

Not only that, but I always ask the dealer to check the knife from a small, prepared list...solid lockup, even edge grinds, no blade play, etc., etc. Any good dealer worth their salt will do this if you ask. I usually order over the phone, anyway. When you order from Amazon, nobody checks anything for you, so you take a gamble.

Jim