Which Golden made design for 15V debut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which design to debut 15V? Golden made only

Military
22%
PM2
18%
Para 3
13%
Manix
7%
Manix XL
6%
Native
8%
Shaman
16%
Mule team
9%
Some other design not listed in the poll, I will list in a specific post
1%

Total votes: 89

Pelagic

Re: Which Golden made design for 15V debut?

Post by Pelagic »

If you want an a11 Military, the police 4 in k390 is darn close.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

ferider wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:34 pm
SF Native wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 pm
I’m still hoping to get 10v in something smaller than a k2. And you guys want to add 5 more v’s on me...

How about we split the 15v up into an "11v" (A11) Military for you, and a 4v Military for me ? (actually I would buy both, before even considering 15v :) )

May i ask why you would want 10V instead of 15V?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

There is a movement on Instagram to get a dealer exclusive sprint PM2 by Rivers edge cutlery.

The 10v will be more stable but the 15v will have more raw aggression and wear resistance.

We want both steels to be made.

Bodog wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:41 pm
ferider wrote:
SF Native wrote:
I’m still hoping to get 10v in something smaller than a k2. And you guys want to add 5 more v’s on me...

How about we split the 15v up into an "11v" (A11) Military for you, and a 4v Military for me ? (actually I would buy both, before even considering 15v :) )

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
ferider

Post by ferider »

Bodog wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:41 pm
ferider wrote:
SF Native wrote:

Only because it's a known entity to me, Bodog (MT26P & K2), and not yet available in the Military, a favorite platform of mine. I have no idea about 15v. "Better a sparrow in the hand than a pigeon on the roof" and all that.

Yes, the Police 4 is similar to a Military, but for some reason, my P4 rusts in the kitchen, and my K2 doesn't.

Roland.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:58 pm
There is a movement on Instagram to get a dealer exclusive sprint PM2 by Rivers edge cutlery.

The 10v will be more stable but the 15v will have more raw aggression and wear resistance.

All right, I trust you and voted :) How about another hollow-ground Manix in 15V ?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

ferider wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:28 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

All right, I trust you and voted :) How about another hollow-ground Manix in 15V ?
We should have a new model, something with the geometry of the Delica, but the handle contours of the shaman and the size of the native with the ball bearing lock. That would be fun.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I'd rather have K390 than 10V.
Or how about some S390 instead of going for all Vanadium steels. Seen some Russians get that up to 70 HRC.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Yeah T15 would be interesting, we'll have to see what results Bluntcut is getting with it.
Rutger wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:10 pm
Or how about some S390 instead of going for all Vanadium steels. Seen some Russians get that up to 70 HRC.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:38 pm
ferider wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:28 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

We should have a new model, something with the geometry of the Delica, but the handle contours of the shaman and the size of the native with the ball bearing lock. That would be fun.
And maybe with a high height hollow grind that Sal was talking about being interested in doing.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Rutger wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:10 pm
I have S390. I like it, i got the blade from Russia. Russians are legit steel nuts. Based on just one example of this class i can't say it's my favorite. I can only say i like the example i have.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

All this talk about 10V vs 15V -- makes me kind of lean towards 10V -- and what about PMA11? It was the PMA11 mule that turned me on to this whole gang of steels. I think "more balanced" as opposed to "pushing the limit". I am pretty impressed with the PMA11.

I voted Manix, hoping of course for the Backlock Manix to get the sprint -- but who could complain about another Military? The Shaman would do fine too.

The CBBL Manix has always struck me as the "hard duty knife" out of Golden, with the Backlock version being the whole thing on steroids, so it seems like a good choice -- but if we want to compare steels, maybe the Military is a well known platform for that.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:15 pm
I'm still jonesing for the mule team, if it HAS to leave why not go out with 15v! :D
You and me both got aboard at the end of the whole Mule Team thing. It was a really great idea. I sometimes wonder if Sal didn't get everything out of it he hoped for as far as feedback on the various steels. It became sort of a baseball card collecting thing for a lot of people. I always felt guilty that I wasn't out doing things with the mules I had and reporting back to headquarters.

But I'm with you -- a 15V mule would seem to make a lot of sense.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:17 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:15 pm
I'm still jonesing for the mule team, if it HAS to leave why not go out with 15v! :D
You and me both got aboard at the end of the whole Mule Team thing. It was a really great idea. I sometimes wonder if Sal didn't get everything out of it he hoped for as far as feedback on the various steels. It became sort of a baseball card collecting thing for a lot of people. I always felt guilty that I wasn't out doing things with the mules I had and reporting back to headquarters.

But I'm with you -- a 15V mule would seem to make a lot of sense.
I'm having a blast making different scales for them and trying new scale material. I hope to get as many mules as I possibly can before they're gone. 2 pd#1 and 2 pma11 would have been awesome to have been able to get maxamet or damascus...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:54 am
I'm having a blast making different scales for them and trying new scale material. I hope to get as many mules as I possibly can before they're gone. 2 pd#1 and 2 pma11 would have been awesome to have been able to get maxamet or damascus...
The PD1 and PMA11 are both fantastic steels, so don't feel bad about those. PD1 is effectively Cruwear and PMA11 is more or less 10V. So you have an excellent almost stainless and a tremendous tool steel. I am glad to have a couple of each of those myself. I am still getting up the courage to make scales. I have grand plans, but don't want to screw it up. Sort of like writers block I guess.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:51 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
The PD1 and PMA11 are both fantastic steels, so don't feel bad about those. PD1 is effectively Cruwear and PMA11 is more or less 10V. So you have an excellent almost stainless and a tremendous tool steel. I am glad to have a couple of each of those myself. I am still getting up the courage to make scales. I have grand plans, but don't want to screw it up. Sort of like writers block I guess.
It's totally not hard to make simple scales. You need a hacksaw, a drill that works, some g10, one of those small grinders from harbor freight with various grit belts from Pops or someplace, a good dust mask, preferably 3M, some decent nickel, brass or carbon fiber pins of the correct diameter, and some good epoxy. A little bit of elbow grease and you'll have some nice scales. After your first set you'll be itching to do more.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Bodog wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:30 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:51 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
It's totally not hard to make simple scales. You need a hacksaw, a drill that works, some g10, one of those small grinders from harbor freight with various grit belts from Pops or someplace, a good dust mask, preferably 3M, some decent nickel, brass or carbon fiber pins of the correct diameter, and some good epoxy. A little bit of elbow grease and you'll have some nice scales. After your first set you'll be itching to do more.
Totally agree. I'm on my 4th set and just about finished one in canvas od green micarta with glitd liners. Tried my 1st kydex sheath today...made them too small but the material is pretty cheap and I purchased plenty to screw up.

Would love to make a few sets for 15v!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

We're all over the place on this but I'm sure I would overlook not getting the exact model I choose in the poll and gladly buy whatever Spyderco selected and I'd be very thankful.

Joe
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:10 am
We're all over the place on this but I'm sure I would overlook not getting the exact model I choose in the poll and gladly buy whatever Spyderco selected and I'd be very thankful.

Joe
I agree. At least it can be said that most Golden made models are about equally popular as potential test beds for steels. That's gotta make spyderco feel good.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

This question makes no sense to me. Why not just do the Para 2, Para 3 and the Millie in 15V like they did with Rex 45?

That way a lot more people would get what they want.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Golden Monkey?

Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: