Input on which salt knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Keystone

Input on which salt knife

Post by Keystone »

I’m looking for input to help me choose which model to purchase.
I already have a dragonfly2 in PE H1, I love the knife but I want to give a SE knife a try. My other two knives are a Delica 4 in vg10 and a manix 2 in s30v. I’m very interested in the salt 2 wharncliff and I don’t mind waiting for it to become available. However the standard salt2 blade is also appealing and might be more versatile. My hesitation with the wharncliff is that I think with a wharncliff I might be using the tip of the blade the most so I won’t be benefiting from the SE. The Delica 4 is my favorite knife I own so that’s why I’m leaning towards a salt 2 model instead of a pacific salt. However I’d still be interested if anyone owns both models and which one the carry the most. I’d be using the knife for yard work, hiking, mountain biking, skiing and swimming. I live on a stream and have a swimming hole in my backyard that I go in almost daily in the summer. Even though I don’t live near salt water I still like the idea of a rustproof knife. I have had some corrosion on the liners of my Delica 4 where the cutouts are drilled for weight reduction. I believe it occurred last winter since I carried it in a chest pocket on my ski pants. I work at a ski area in the winter 5 days a week and going from inside warm buildings from freezing temps my knife almost always had condensation buildup inside of it. If anyone would like to comment which knife they would suggested I’m all ears even if it’s not one listed above, thanks!
abbazaba

Re: Input on which salt knife

Post by abbazaba »

I never fell in love with the Pac Salt, but you will find a ton of praise for it if you are committed to SE.

The Native5 in LC200n is coming soon, which should be pretty great for the uses you describe. I also have a DF2 PE in H1, and am really looking forward to the N5 LC200n because my Spydiechef has proven to have much greater edge holding abilities. We have a pool and a hot tub and I often wear my swim trunks doing yard work in the summer so I really enjoy having a decent size rust proof knife. The Native is born from pure utility IMO and will likely serve my needs well.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Keystone,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

personally, i went with the pacific salt because i imagined having to use it in an emergency and i wanted all the serrations i could get to tear through material. ergonomically i don’t prefer it to my manix, but it’s one of my favorite knives because of its purpose and capabilities. i often carry my manix 2 lw and pacific salt together. i carry a serrated dragonfly 2 salt at work due to blade restrictions and i like that too.
i guess i’m in the opposite position as you. i’m looking forward to the native salt to have a plain edge salt knife and almost perfect edc. if you really want serrations and you love the delica (and care about consistency of carry), you can’t go wrong with the salt 2. if you think a little extra length would be useful, the pacific salt has been phenomenal. i probably wouldn’t bother with the wharncliffe for the reasons you stated, but others might disagree. whatever you choose, you'll likely be very happy. se h1 is really great.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd try the PAcific Salt. I think longer blades work particularly well with serrations since you'll be using them for draw cuts much more than push cuts.

Order from a store with a good return policy so if you decide it's too large, you can exchange it for a SE Salt 2.
:unicorn
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Spydiechef... (excellent knife but really) I second the Native 5 LC200.. The steel is the closest thing we have to a lightsaber and it was developed by Nasa to withstand the harshest of elements. Not only that but the tip on the Native is pretty utilitarian and hard use friendly. Plus it will be a Golden made Spyderco (I love the chef, but I always have a bias to American made products because I like to support my country).

But if the anticipation is killing you and that hole in the pocket needs to be filled, you can't go wrong with a salt and I think you would be happy with a Salt 2 wharncliff.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:30 pm
I'd try the PAcific Salt. I think longer blades work particularly well with serrations since you'll be using them for draw cuts much more than push cuts.

Order from a store with a good return policy so if you decide it's too large, you can exchange it for a SE Salt 2.
this is basically what i was trying to say, but said with much more clarity. thanks, vivi.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Personally I can't wait to get the new combo coming out, Waterway and Native Salt. I think it will be a great combination of tools for every task
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Keystone

Post by Keystone »

Thanks for the replies everyone, definitely leaning towards the salt 2 SE. The native 5 salt does look like a workhorse, however I really want to experiment with carrying a SE knife.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Obviously the Para 3 Salt is what needs to happen.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Unless legally bound to shorter knives, I would go with the larger PacSalt knife over the Salt 2.

Have you given any thought to a hawkbill?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I say Salt 2, Salt Wharncliffe, and Pacific Salt. Covers all your bases. Don’t worry about the tip only being used on the wharnie. I doubt that will happen.
- best wishes, Jazz.
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

I like Salt 2, but In PE. In SE I'm a fan of the Pacific Salt or Tasman Salt
Keystone

Post by Keystone »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Just ordered a Pacific salt, having the longer blade with serrations seems to make the most sense as you pointed out.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I have a Salt 2 SE and despite having a Pacific Salt SE, SE Native 5, plain H1 Dragonfly and 7 Delicas I use the Salt 2 every day without missing any of the before mentioned.
Keystone

Post by Keystone »

PanChango wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:24 pm
Unless legally bound to shorter knives, I would go with the larger PacSalt knife over the Salt 2.

Have you given any thought to a hawkbill?
I have an opinel no8 pruning knife which I enjoy but I went with the pacific salt since it will be more versatile. Hopefully one day I’ll grab a Spyderco hawksbill though, SE hawksbill probably cuts like nobody’s business.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

The other day, I had a palm branch dead and hanging in my backyard. I had my Pac Salt SE on me. I would say it was about 5-6 inches wide. Reaching and on one foot, my draw cut about 3/4 of the way through. I stopped and looked at it, and the my first thought was "Wow".

I sure wouldn't want to be on the other end.

Good choice.
C