Question for Jim Ankerson about 440 series stainless steel for knives.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Question for Jim Ankerson about 440 series stainless steel for knives.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Dear Mr. Jim Ankerson,

Thank you for all of your great knife designs.

What are your thoughts on the quality 440 series stainless steel for use in knife blades and knife components, and would this design be a good one as far as usefulness goes?
Blade Shape: Combination of a Clip Point and Drop Point.
Blade Steel: 440 series stainless.
Finish: Satin
Blade Length roughly 3.5 or so inches
Handle Material: Durable ABS Plastic or Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon
Blade Thickness: 3.5 MM to 4.5 MM
Grind: Saber Grind
Lock Mechanism: Back-Lock.

What are your thoughts on that?

Anyone else is welcome to chime in, too.
Ankerson

Re: Question for Jim Ankerson about 440 series stainless steel for knives.

Post by Ankerson »

440 is a great steel, been around for a long time, actually was the 1st stainless steel I ever owned in a knife.

Likes a nice coarse edge, very toothy.

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

There are at least 3 440 compositions and a whole bunch of others called 440 series including the 8C used in Byrds by Spyderco which is used by other makers and sold as 440.

440A, B, and C. likely 440C is what Jim is referring to. It acts a lot different than 440A in my experience. 440C should be in the 154cm and VG 10 class wear resistance wise. It's not tough but it is pretty wear resistant and very good at corrosion resistance. 440A is closer to 8C so it should perform pretty similar to the Byrds.

Joe
vivi

Post by vivi »

Grinds fast, takes a fine edge very quickly, great corrosion resistance, but the wear resistance won't keep up with S30V and newer steels.

I like it in the knives that use it in my collection, mostly multitools that don't see a ton of cutting tasks since they are generally paired with a dedicated folder or fixed blade.

I think CTSBD1 is a small step up from 440C, performing similar across the board with a touch more wear resistance. If you have not tried that steel but enjoy the 440 series, you should give it a shot.
:unicorn
SpyderEdgeForever

These are very helpful answers. Thank you all so much, and Mastiff thank you for pointing out the differences between the various grades of 440 series steel.

Vivi, when you mention the corrosion-resistance, here is a question. I remember you mentioning that you have experience with very salt-corrosion enviroments. While 440 C is obviously not H1, like Mastiff said, it is in the VG10 and 154 CM category. Would you say from your experience, a well-made 440C series stainless steel blade would hold up very well to extensive use as an everyday carry knife and knife for fishing and water sports?

And here is the big question regarding this: When it comes to Spyderco knives in particular, if they were to make a new folder or fixed blade using American or Japanese, or European-made 440C, what design would you like for it to be? And that question also goes to Mr. Ankerson.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I would choose CPM 154 or 154CM over 440C personally, better edge retention and toughness.

But there is really nothing wrong with 440C so if you want to have a knife made in it it's fine.

Or if you can get BD1N that's another choice, also I am very fond of N690.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I second that Bd1 (haven't tried BD1n yet) and N690 are a bit better while posessing most of the qualities you like about 440c.

There's some Ken Onion custom BD1n skinners at 64 rc at kniveshipfree I want to try.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SpyderEdgeForever

I am very fond of N690, Mr. Ankerson, and everyone else. Can all of us brain storm a very good general purpose design together, please, and submit it to Spyderco?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Interesting data point: a sign in the SFO states that the original Spyderco whale rescue blade was made from 440C. I believe they now use H-1 steel. 440C was the first “super” stainless cutlery steel that I became aware of, in the late 70’s/early 80’s.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've got nothing better than what Spyderco has already made. The Endura is my preferred knife and I couldn't improve on it functionally. I like Vg 10 better than N690 and aside from having a Cruwear Endura custom made for myself the best general purpose knife ever made is available in stores for a good price already. Vivi wants a longer blade and larger grip but that is because he has gorilla hands.Jim has even different needs so I think we are going to be coming up empty. :)