Question for Jim Ankerson...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Question for Jim Ankerson...

Post by Pelagic »

I read all these tests a long time ago (thanks Jim), and I was always curious about the statement about m390 which said "because it cuts so aggressively".

What model was being used in reaching this conclusion?
Does all m390 have this characteristic?
Do 20cv and 204p also have this characteristic?

I have only had one knife in m390, and I loved how it sharpened and performed, but I'd be hard pressed to identify which steels cut more aggressively than others. I feel like that is mostly up to the sharpener. What am I missing?

My apologies for what are probably dumb questions, in the sense that there is something I'm not realizing here.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:18 pm
I read all these tests a long time ago (thanks Jim), and I was always curious about the statement about m390 which said "because it cuts so aggressively".

I have only had one knife in m390, and I loved how it sharpened and performed, but I'd be hard pressed to identify which steels cut more aggressively than others. I feel like that is mostly up to the sharpener. What am I missing?

My apologies for what are probably dumb questions, in the sense that there is something I'm not realizing here.
That was an old Benchmade M710 in M390 and polished edge, Seemed to be pretty aggressive even with a polished edge from what I remember.

Stopped doing any polished edge testing a long time ago so I really can't say.

But in coarse edge testing M390, 20CV and 204P seem to very similar.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:01 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:18 pm

That was an old Benchmade M710 in M390 and polished edge, Seemed to be pretty aggressive even with a polished edge from what I remember.

Stopped doing any polished edge testing a long time ago so I really can't say.

But in coarse edge testing M390, 20CV and 204P seem to very similar.
Thank you for responding.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I tend to disagree with a lot of people who preach about Jim as some kind of steel prophet. I also tend to disagree with so many people saying Jim's tests prove which steels are the best for others. But i do find Jim's tests informative and Jim does a very good job at defining exactly what his tests are meant to show. So basically i don't disagree with Jim about much, rather, the people who read into what he says that he never said. And he's not some kind of knife sage. He's only a man who identified what he likes and went above and beyond to show what is what concerning different steels and for his efforts he learned a lot that he can share with others.

I appreciate the testing he's done. It has helped form my own personal opinions about which steels i like regardless if they're the same steels Jim would pick for himself or not. I don't believe he's ever wanted anything else from his testing. I do still like to refer to his testing when I'm considering raw wear resistance for a knife.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Useful data points are just that... Useful data points. Despite what is "we'll known" or "proven long ago", I will always go off my personal experience. I feel everyone should do the same. But useful data points certainly help people in decision making. Jim's tests helped me last year when I was learning about the vast world of blade steels. I am certainly appreciative.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?