fish hunter vs aqua salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dogrunner

fish hunter vs aqua salt

Post by dogrunner »

I am thinking of one or other of these (not both) for a utility fixed blade. I want something 4-5" blade length (both of these are under 5) with a useful pointy tip, and of course it should be a good cutter. I don't really need H1 or rustproof, but SE H1 has a good reputation for cutting ability. I am not a fan of PE H1 or VG10. I have a bunch of mules that I love, in awesome steels, but I want something longer and pointier. My ideal blade shape would be a Military, but longer.
I like the look of the upcoming waterway but have no experience with LC200n, I like the blade shape of the sustain, but it is too long for my mode of carry (chore pant pocket) although it has a great steel, the zoomer in the same steel is not quite pointy enough, and way out of my price range. I don't want a trailing point or too much belly.
I think the Aqua Salt looks great, but I would probably grind down the spine anyway to get a good point (make it a Mili profile). Blade length looks perfect.
The Fish Hunter blade looks great, but a little shorter than the Aqua Salt. Those are the two I am debating. Same handle, it appears? Other than color, which makes no differnece to me. Blade color does not either. Both are SE H1.

Anyone have a side by side picture? Anyone use both and have any preferences?

Thanks.
Reject

Re: fish hunter vs aqua salt

Post by Reject »

:) There ya go.

How much can a Koala bear?
vivi

Post by vivi »

The grind on the Aqua Salt lends itself to utility work more than the Fish Hunter. The hollow grind is higher, giving it better geometry. The flatter, thicker spine also makes itbetter for applying force with your thumb or off hand during hard cutting tasks. Its also available in a more attractive color option.

Oddly enough, I've always been happy with the tip on my Aqua Salt, and I'm a guy that won't carry a Pacific Salt without regrinding the tip to a pointier profile. Then again I use my Aqua Salt outdoors a lot and sometimes pry wood with it, so its probably best I kept it thick for my uses.
:unicorn
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Thanks for the awesome pictures! That is exactly what I hoped to see. And thanks Vivi for your input - I knew you had a lot of experience with an AS from previous threads. I might still grind the distal spine to get a pointier tip on the AS, but having the flatter full thickness spine for the rest of the length looks like a better option for my uses.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

This thread has helped me make up my mind.

I'll go Aqua Salt first, Fish Hunter second.

Thanks to the OP for the question/thread and informed forumites for posting,
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Surfbuddy

Post by Surfbuddy »

How is the sheath on aqua salt? My fish hunter sheath is kind of loose.