Shaman Vertical Play

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iaguilera14

Shaman Vertical Play

Post by iaguilera14 »

So I just got my Shaman about a month ago and I recently noticed it has a little vertical play. It feels pretty tight with just my hand testing for play but if I crank hard enough up and down I can feel something shifting around, it has no side to side play. My question to everyone is this something I should send in or do you think Spyderco will ultimately say it’s within spec. I know it’s hard to speculate without seeing the knife but I would hate to send it in and be without it if this is normal.
Last edited by iaguilera14 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABX2011

Re: Shaman Vertical Play

Post by ABX2011 »

If it bothers you send it in. It's a bit of a gamble, IMO as to whether they will address the issue. From my experience the compression lock normally has zero vertical play.
Also you could check to make sure there's no oil on the lock interfaces.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

My original shaman had this issue and I thought it might just go away as the knife wore in. It got worse, to the point where I could actually force the locked knife closed with my hand. Sent it in, it was defective. They didn't say how but they did say it was. They sent me a knew one.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
iaguilera14

Post by iaguilera14 »

Yeah it seems like it could go either way. I’m going to hold onto this one for a while and see how it goes. I can’t feel anything unless I crank on it. But I’ll monitor it over time and send it in if it gets worse.
iaguilera14

Post by iaguilera14 »

I actually just cleaned the knife really good and oiled it. I can detect any play at the base of the blade anymore. It might have just been dirty. Thanks for the replies.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

This may sound like a very minor modification that would yield little change, but I eliminated blade play on an old pm2 by polishing down one of the washers (which ever one would force the liner of the compression lock to sink deeper into the lock groove of the tang of the blade) and shaving some off both sides of the pivot (the barrel the pivot screws go into. It certainly helped. But this was on an old used knife, not a new Shaman.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?