Spyderco Reveal: Tell me more!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Reveal: Tell me more!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I found this and this intrigues me. Can sal or anyone explain this in more depth?
SpydercoReveal.jpg
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Reveal: Tell me more!

Post by Evil D »

Sounds good to me. Might cut back on all the complaints about wait times.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Now folks will complain about missing a drop because they didn’t have time to plan for it.

I personally didn’t mind the wait and liked having time to plan my spending.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I personally didn’t mind the wait and liked having time to plan my spending.
Yes! Planning is necessary for a guy like me on fixed income.

joe
sal

Post by sal »

It is an experiment to try to deal with unhappy customers when a product release is delayed. It will be introduced at SHOT show and I belief the first Reveal is in May. I'm sure we will evolve and refine the concept in time.

sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

So you're TELLING ME THERE'S A CHANCE!!!.......?

(for a Native Chief in 2019)

:D
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m glad to hear it’s an experiment and not a new rule set in stone. Hopefully things go back to the way it was next year. It will be interesting to see how this slower reveal process goes, maybe it is for the best. But I suspect the people who constantly complain about wait times will just find something else to complain about, there’s no pleasing them. The majority of us can handle wait, it’s part of the fun. :D

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm okay with this for general releases but I hope this won't necessarily be the case for all of them like sprints and such. I can do with waiting to save up for a newly released full production after its been released but I like to be able to save up for sprints. Otherwise I won't be able to buy them.
Last edited by knivesandbooks on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Could this page get a RSS feed? That way we could automatically be notified.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Shame that it became necessary, but it's understandable, given the number of impatient people.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

You shouldn't pander to the snowflakes, it only reinforces their behavior.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I like it. Sometimes knowing far in advance is annoying to me, especially if it's something I'm interested in. At the same time, I like to see all the new, exciting stuff, just like with the Amsterdam Meet thread. Some advance warning is nice, though. Then you can know when to watch for releases, and actually acquire them.
- best wishes, Jazz.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Kind of makes the 2019 catalog not very exciting. Nothing to look forward to of to plan for. No Sprints listed, No new models listed.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I just checked the Spyderco forum to see if the catalog was out yet, saw it was released, then searched for the usual "what are you most excited about from the catalog thread' and was confused that I didn't see one. Then I looked at the catalog, then found this thread. Bummer. Very disappointing that the vocal complainers demanding instant gratification have caused this change. I too liked to see the upcoming models and plan ahead. One of the things I have always admired about Spyderco and Sal is the way we consumers feel that we are part of the product line by the discussions of new and upcoming models with forum members having even designed some knives. (Pits, waterway, etc.)

I don't blame Spyderco for the change, yet it saddens me.

Grizz
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The fact that this will kill weeks or months of pre-release discussion of upcoming models is a bummer, I personally enjoy hearing opinions of a design both before and after release, I'm also assuming that it gives Spyderco a bit more ability to "test the waters" with a larger audience than the in-person meets do. And folks on this forum are probably a much more focused demographic than the average sport/trade/knife show attendee, since we *are* the confirmed Spyder-Faithful.

On top of that, my guess is that the buzz created by earlier pre-release info is a benefit to sales... Not to mention that if the lead time we get for budgeting our funds and time in order to score Sprints/exclusives/Flash batches is short enough that we're blindsided by or miss releases, then that's going to get more of us upset than the few who currently complain about long waits.

Change isn't always good, or bad... we'll just have to wait and see how it works out.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Crux

Post by Crux »

What am I to do if I don't have to be on constant lookout for a knife I'm hunting? Maybe I'll cut something.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i joined this forum earlier this year to keep an eye out for the native salt. i’ve been impatiently waiting, but i’d rather know it was coming and look forward to it impatiently than not know. this community seems like a place where lots of people are voicing opinions about what would be great for spyderco to improve on or come out with next and it seems like their voices are heard. and it’s nice to see sal on here interacting with the community and dropping hints at future models people are suggesting or hoping for. i’d like that to not go away, but i understand if it does. we all love this company, so you just keep doing what you need to and we’ll keep buying knives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I requested a catalog before I really realized there's nothing much in it that wasn't already in it last year. I suppose you might save money on sending out catalogs if there won't be much new stuff in them.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Crux

Post by Crux »

I think the custom and Sprint runs will remain in same as even the dealers don't even know.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Maybe Spyderco coming up with a MAP-like allowable time frame for dealers to offer pre-orders, or just not releasing a model number or pricing structure until a month or so before actual street date would cure some of the "issues" without killing the discussions and anticipation?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...