How to get more women/females into Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

How to get more women/females into Spyderco?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I want to see as many people as possible be interested in and use and become fans of Spyderco knives. How can we get more women and girls interested in Spyderco knives, world wide? I think the quality and amazing designs should appeal to many women across the board from a wide-range of backgrounds, from Lady Bugs and Delicas, to Moran Hunters and Clipits assorted.

Any ideas on that?
Ankerson

Re: How to get more women/females into Spyderco?

Post by Ankerson »

Women are either into knives, hunting, guns etc or they aren't for the most part.

A lot of it has to do with how they grew up and or who their friends are, and or relationships etc.

Heck, even MOST of the gun guys I have known over the years aren't knife guys, they will drop thousands of dollars on a gun, but won't spend more than $20 on a knife.. ;)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Agree it is largely what it is. Even trying to make more "girly" designs, looks or material-wise you're sure to be told by women "just because i'm a woman doesn't mean i want abalone scales tiny knives, i want a **** military!" :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:03 pm
Agree it is largely what it is. Even trying to make more "girly" designs, looks or material-wise you're sure to be told by women "just because i'm a woman doesn't mean i want abalone scales tiny knives, i want a **** military!" :)

Yeah. LOL

Most women from what I understand that do buy a gun it's a tool for self defense so I can see that same women getting a knife for the same purpose.

And yeah they aren't looking for a ladybug. ROFL.

I would like to see more women get more involved in guns and knives.

But I think that's really up to the fathers to teach them the value of the tools as they are growing up so hopefully maybe they can pass that knowledge to their own daughters.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've found that gifts help. I couldn't find a spydie that my girlfriend was really into, but as soon as she saw my ZT 0450 she said it was hers (which is good, because I couldn't stand that thing). She uses it all the time. Carved pumpkins @ work with kids with it. My mom uses the knife I got her all the time.

But yeah, you're either into knives or your not-- and you're probably not. Most men aren't. Sure a lot of men like how knives look but still won't spend more than $30. You'll have the odd benchmade user and sometimes you'll find the Emerson fanboy with a sheepdog bumper sticker on their truck. But that stuff isn't common. When I was in college there was a group of men and women who had Opinels and carried them everywhere. I though it was the most random thing lol.

I know a lot of women into guns.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SpyderEdgeForever

These are very helpful answers, please keep more coming.

What saddens me is that some of you point out that many people are not into knives. This is hard for me to understand having been into knives now since early childhood and having been taught respect of others and responsible tool use. Why is this the situation with so many? And how is it that a man can be into guns and yet only get cheapo knives?

Is it because most people are not knife afficianados and if yes, why is that? Is it decades of bad press ?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:28 pm

What saddens me is that some of you point out that many people are not into knives. This is hard for me to understand having been into knives now since early childhood and having been taught respect of others and responsible tool use. Why is this the situation with so many? And how is it that a man can be into guns and yet only get cheapo knives?

Is it because most people are not knife afficianados and if yes, why is that? Is it decades of bad press ?

When I was growing up and how I was raised a man always carried a knife, it's a tool that everyman should have and carry. Having a good knife and a good gun was part of being a man.

Well I am getting older, 50+ YO now and times have been changing.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

That has always blown my mind also, never could understand that logic.

Spend thousands, sometimes tens of thousands on guns, but won't spend more than a few bucks on a knife.
SpyderEdgeForever

Ankerson, man, my friend, all I can say is we need more like you in this world! Thank you.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My wife likes her ladybug, but I'm pretty sure she'd be mad at me if I bought her a knife that cost $80+, unless it was strictly a kitchen knife. Most woman just dont care for them, especially in the price ranges we're spending on these.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

As a guy here is my experience. For me personally I have been into knives since I was a kid. Whittling random sticks and turning old broken broom handles and such into spears and walking sticks. I would get 4" fixed blades for my birthday at age 5 or 6 I thought nothing of it at the time but looking back now I realize that was not the norm. I'm only 32 but I grew up in small towns where we shot BB guns, carried at least a pocket knife and built forts out of scrap lumber and tin.

Fast forward to now and I find that it's about introducing girls/kids to knives early. I started gifting my step daughter knives around age 8 and showing her the proper ways to use them, and walking her through the mechanisms of folding knives and making sure she felt secure and confident using them. I feel like a lot of people (guys or girls) who didn't grow up handling knives are very unsure or anxious around them especially if they have locks they are unfamiliar with, or are assisted or automatic or what have you.

My wife didn't grow up around knives and after years of being around me she appreciates and can talk about all sorts of different designs, locks and blade steels but still if I hand her a knife she is unfamiliar with it's like a switch gets flipped and you can tell that she is uncomfortable with it until you walk her through the ways the knife feels and functions in her hand.

All that being said, start them early and walk them through the knife's design until they are comfortable and confident using it. I think that goes for guys or girls...
So it goes.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I just lost my Hap40 Dragonfly to my Mrs. Does that count?
James Y

Post by James Y »

Different people (both men and women) value different things, and have different interests and non-interests. Most of the time, if someone isn't interested in something, you will not get them interested in it. Especially if they are adults. As long as someone doesn't try to interfere with or deprive me of MY interests, I'm OK with it.

There are many things that other people are interested in and even passionate about that I am not. I will never be into video games, chick flicks, fancy cars, rap music, all the latest hi-tech, or fancy suits so I can dress like James Bond. No amount of attempts at persuasion or cajoling will ever interest me in those and other things I care nothing about.

I've known many hard-core martial arts people who lament how people "can't understand them" and their passion for martial arts, but turn around and ask about my Delica, "Is that thing legal??" and make jokes as if I'm Jason Voorhees of Friday the 13th fame. And I've known some "knife guys" and "gun guys" who say that martial arts/"Kuh-rotty" (sic) is all a waste of time. Or collecting comic books. Or whatever other interests/passions other people might have.

The closest I've ever gotten to getting anyone to carry knives is one Christmas many years ago, I gave my older brother and his wife (and several other family members) Victorinox Classic SAKs. Out of everyone, they are the only two who still carry and use them to this day. Oh, almost forgot...a co-worker who has seen my use my knife for cutting tasks at work decided to get a knife for himself. He didn't get a Spyderco (he got a S30V Kershaw Blur), but he said it comes in handy.

I don't have kids, so I have no intention of easing any children into knives. I do have a great-nephew and a great-niece, but will not be giving them any knives, nor discussing the subject with them, because, although I care about them, they are not my kids nor my responsibility to raise. Not to mention, their parents are most definitely NOT into knives, and they already have their own sets of interests.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I find it hard to convince anybody that knives are a tool worth investing good money in. I have a few friends who appreciate knives but the rest don’t seem interested.

My wife likes her pink Native but she isn’t interested in steels and she doesn’t want any more knives for herself. I have had good luck convincing her that nice kitchen knives are worth appreciating and she appreciates a sharp edge but that seems to be as deep down the rabbit hole as she wants to go.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:01 pm
Heck, even MOST of the gun guys I have known over the years aren't knife guys, they will drop thousands of dollars on a gun, but won't spend more than $20 on a knife.. ;)

I used to be like that. A rough action on a cheap knife just doesn't bother the average user as much as we think it does here. Plus, it's very hard to convince people that there's a difference between blade steel and it's even harder to convince them to think it's necessary enough to drop the extra money on one. Heck, when I worked on a farm, I even sharpened my knife on the bench grinder. As long as it turns one piece into two pieces, a lot of people just don't care.
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Ankerson wrote:
Women are either into knives, hunting, guns etc or they aren't for the most part.
A lot of it has to do with how they grew up and or who their friends are, and or relationships etc.
Well said.

If they don't have a need / want for it, hard to get them to understand, like, want ..........

I have had a couple of ladies comment on my Spyderco Endura 1, apart from the serrations that it has nice lines.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:18 pm
Ankerson wrote:
I used to be like that. A rough action on a cheap knife simply doesn't bother the average user as much as we think it does here. Plus, it's very hard to convince people that there's a difference between blade steel and it's even harder to convince them to think it's necessary enough to drop the extra money on one. As long as it turn one piece into two pieces, it's good enough for a lot of people.
Ankerson

Hunters will drop money on a knife, especially skinning, boning, caping knives.

BornIn1500
"A rough action on a cheap knife simply doesn't bother the average user as much as we think it does here"

Agree. To them it's a knife.

Very few would appreciate knives, steels and in the general population they can't see, know quality.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
mpcgimli

Post by mpcgimli »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:50 am
I want to see as many people as possible be interested in and use and become fans of Spyderco knives. How can we get more women and girls interested in Spyderco knives, world wide? I think the quality and amazing designs should appeal to many women across the board from a wide-range of backgrounds, from Lady Bugs and Delicas, to Moran Hunters and Clipits assorted.

Any ideas on that?
Last edited by mpcgimli on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Ain't never going to happen with my wife...unless you can somehow tie it all in with shoes, lip gloss, spas and kittens.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

It's like any hobby, either you're really into something and invest a lot of time and money or mostly indifferent about it.

A lot of people like bowling, but out of everyone that has bowled in the last year how many of them have their own shoes, $200 custom ball, various gear and bowl in a league regularly? Probably a small fraction of them. I sort of think of knives the same way. Most people are fine using whatever knife is lying around the house, in the kitchen drawer, or a utility blade from the tool box. Out of everyone that's used a knife recently, I'd venture to guess very few of them are willing to drop $100-200 on a knife, let alone several of them and a couple hundred worth of sharpening stones or equipment.

That's why I come to this forum. I don't know any other knife nuts irl, except one guy at work but he's mostly into all that mall ninja/Gil Hibben type knives and swords, lol.
Last edited by brainfriction on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.