How to get more women/females into Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BornIn1500

Re: How to get more women/females into Spyderco?

Post by BornIn1500 »

500Nitro wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Agree. To them it's a knife.

Yea some people don't change from that line of thinking. It's viewed as a simple tool, no different from a screwdriver or a wrench. Would you pay more than $20 for a screwdriver? That was my logic back then, anyway.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It's OK to wish other people could understand the value of carrying and using a quality knife, BUT best to be careful about becoming too idealistic about it and trying to "convert" other people to one's own viewpoint(s), like many "born-again" religious people do. That will only turn people off and create the opposite effect that you may want.

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:50 am
I want to see as many people as possible be interested in and use and become fans of Spyderco knives. How can we get more women and girls interested in Spyderco knives, world wide? I think the quality and amazing designs should appeal to many women across the board from a wide-range of backgrounds, from Lady Bugs and Delicas, to Moran Hunters and Clipits assorted.

Any ideas on that?
Good question SEF, well asked. :cool:

I don’t know about converting all women, but with your girl at least, you could try dancing naked (or scantily dressed) with a red rose clenched between your teeth and a Spyderco folder in each hand, flicking them open and shut like you would if you were dancing with castanets.

Don’t know if it would work for sure but certainly worth a try. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:14 pm
I find it hard to convince anybody that knives are a tool worth investing good money in. I have a few friends who appreciate knives but the rest don’t seem interested.

My wife likes her pink Native but she isn’t interested in steels and she doesn’t want any more knives for herself. I have had good luck convincing her that nice kitchen knives are worth appreciating and she appreciates a sharp edge but that seems to be as deep down the rabbit hole as she wants to go.
What about from a cultural angle? The Finns, for example, would most likely love it if they knew how much you and I appreciate their puukkos, Darby.
SpyderEdgeForever

Bloke wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:16 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
I want to see as many people as possible be interested in and use and become fans of Spyderco knives. How can we get more women and girls interested in Spyderco knives, world wide? I think the quality and amazing designs should appeal to many women across the board from a wide-range of backgrounds, from Lady Bugs and Delicas, to Moran Hunters and Clipits assorted.

Any ideas on that?

I don’t know about converting all women, but with your girl at least, you could try dancing naked (or scantily dressed) with a red rose clenched between your teeth and a Spyderco folder in each hand, flicking them open and shut like you would if you were dancing with castanets.

LOL!
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

This has been fairly easy for me since my wife and most of her friends are outdoorsy. They are into horses, camping, and hiking. Me being into knives got my wife involved to an extent. Early on she carried a Mouse or Dragonfly, and now carries a Squeak after misplacing the other two. We live in the mountains in a rural area and she and her friends often ride in the National Forests around us. She asked for a knife recommendation while riding and I decided on a Assist since it has the safety tip, a whistle, CE blade, and the ability to sever anything put between the blade and scales just by squeezing the knife closed. Since I got her this knife many others have requested the same knife for themselves. The only problem now is that most of them want to replace their original Assists with the Salt version now that it's out.

This has initiated many to Spyderco knives and the quality they provide. I doubt any will jump into collecting though it has been fun seeing their interest and now their thoughts on rust resistance. They've shown that they appreciate a quality tool.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The only knife people I "know" are on the internet. I have never met another knife knut in real life. Around here most guys or gals carry Case knives or cheapo gas station/gun show specials.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

brainfriction wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:30 pm

That's why I come to this forum. I don't know any other knife nuts irl, except one guy at work but he's mostly into all that mall ninja/Gil Hibben type knives and swords, lol.
Love guys like that. Takes a person 30 seconds to show them how quickly they can be disarmed, knife used against them.

Had a female worker with me last week, she was saying about using a knife to protect herself in a discussion when I dropped her home.
Her Mum was there. I said, OK, come at me with a clenched fist as though you have a knife. I blocked her and left it at that.

If you are going to give ladies knives, make sure it's for the right reason and that it won't be taken off them and use against them.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:44 pm
The only knife people I "know" are on the internet. I have never met another knife knut in real life. Around here most guys or gals carry Case knives or cheapo gas station/gun show specials.
Same here. Besides a friend at work that's into strictly Benchmade. Starting to turn the corner with another guy, but he won't get into Spydercos because of the price. Kershaw seems to be the best quality he'll go.

That's why we need this place! And you very sparse females are greatly appreciated.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

500Nitro wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:56 pm
I said, OK, come at me with a clenched fist
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My ex is appreciative of good kitchen knives and uses both folding and fixed blades for outdoors stuff, but as long as what she has works, she isn't interested in getting additional or "better" blades. Knitting needles and yarn are another story all together...

Similarly my GF is a landscaper and warehouse worker, she had a couple of $5 truck stop knives when we met... after her Frosts cheapie broke, I got her a CRKT that had a combo edge, it turned out to have issues with dirt, gloves and staying sharp, so she was happy to upgrade to an SE Salt 1. While she definitely likes having a better tool for the job, that doesn't mean she has any deeper interest in knives, or keeps looking for an even better knife for her use, it really is just a tool. OTOH, she has as many horse bits as I do knives and is always on the lookout for different and unusual tack items for her collection.

It's all in where your interests lie. I think as it becomes more socially acceptable for anyone to be interested in things that are traditionally only the perview of one gender, the more women we'll see interested in knives etc. and more men will be able to show interest in previously "girly" pursuits.
Last edited by awa54 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:16 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Any ideas on that?

Bloke you are on the right tract. This may also be worth a try.
image.jpeg
Removable blades and a vibrating handle, only where to put the Spidie hole. :D
I apologize in advance for my lack of decorum and eighth grade mentality. :o
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Make purses!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Gifts, flowers, money. More gifts.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

When my wife needed something cut, she always brought it to me because I always have a knife on me. I stopped doing it and started pointing her to my knife drawer. When she started pulling the same one out I noticed and told her to keep it. It was some cheap Emerson folder, but it was the only backlock knife I had. When she lost it she came to me and said she needed another one. I got her a delica and a ladybug. Now she has 3 delicas. She'll never be a collector. She's doing what works for her and she's sticking to it. I did show her a microtech utx-70 video the other day and she was interested, so we'll see.

Just like my guns, she skips past my pistols now and wants to go straight to shooting a specific AR15 of mine she has nicknamed "hers". She doesn't know how to take it apart or clean it. And now she thinks one of my suppressors is supposed to stay on "hers". She's found what works for her and I'll have to learn to be happy with it.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I find the biggest appreciators of a good knife are those who have had a lot of stuff to cut - regardless of their sex or gender.

Modern living doesn't have a ton of stuff to cut unless you're a big fan of doing things yourself: cooking, baking, home improvement, yard work, etc.

Thus, the appeal of knives is about reference points. It's hard to know a decent flashlight from a better flashlight if all you've had is decent flashlights that you use only when the power goes out. The same thing goes for knives.

Bread, salami, and cheese come pre-sliced; increasingly, produce is pre-chopped and available in bags. Aside from opening Amazon boxes, many folks don't use knives outside of the kitchen, and many don't use knives IN the kitchen that often.

This ultra-convenience is a great high point for more efficient living, but as with any technological progress, there are those who find appeal in the imperfection of a more personal process.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

We can't.Women,like men either are into knives,or cars,or needle point or not.If you see a knife as a piece of art,history,inovation,design or tradition,and if you think you need more than one-you are a knife guy or gal.If you think a knife is just something to cut things with,you are not.Nothing wrong with either approaches,but most of us will be better off not offering expensive knives to our better half.When they will find out that you paid for that thing-and believe me,they will find out-the price of a pair of Louboutins you will be in deep trouble.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Tims

Post by Tims »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:19 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:14 pm
I find it hard to convince anybody that knives are a tool worth investing good money in. I have a few friends who appreciate knives but the rest don’t seem interested.

My wife likes her pink Native but she isn’t interested in steels and she doesn’t want any more knives for herself. I have had good luck convincing her that nice kitchen knives are worth appreciating and she appreciates a sharp edge but that seems to be as deep down the rabbit hole as she wants to go.
What about from a cultural angle? The Finns, for example, would most likely love it if they knew how much you and I appreciate their puukkos, Darby.
Telling them how much you appreciate their ‘puukkos’ might get you a slap. Any mention of a knife after that might get you locked up.

Seriously though, you can’t make anybody take interest in a hobby, much less something so fringe as knives. The majority of the time you will end up looking like a weirdo for trying. Just enjoy the hobby for yourself and try not to worry what other people do. Folks will do what they will do.
SpyderEdgeForever

Tims,

1 Why do you think many Finns from Finland would react in that way? Don't they take pride in their national and regional knives? That is an entrenched part of their culture.

2 If you enjoy a hobby or an interest don't you want others to enjoy it too if that is their choice, and offer them that opportunity?

3 More women need to be interested in knives because knives are the oldest human tool and because there are a million things women can use a knife to cut with and women are a very powerful sector of the market. More women into knives = more knives and knife designs for the rest of us.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Just got my wife a used Delica. She likes it as I got it in her favorite color blue. Funny part is I got her virtually the same knife several years ago and she didn't want it. I was much more obsessed with knives then so she didn't want anything to do with them. My obsession has become more of a hobby (where it should be) now and she is much more accepting of them.