Spyderco Moran Fixed Blades: Your experiences, testimonials and feedback desired.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Moran Fixed Blades: Your experiences, testimonials and feedback desired.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This is the "Spyderco Moran Thread 2". I would welcome all of your personal experiences, feedback, insights, and viewpoints as well as any usage testimonials on the Spyderco Moran Collaboration Fixed blades, both the Upswept Skinner and the Drop Point Hunter.

They look pretty sturdy. Doc I read where you said these were tested by the military and passed. That is very good!
JD Spydo

Re: Spyderco Moran Fixed Blades: Your experiences, testimonials and feedback desired.

Post by JD Spydo »

I've owned both variants of that Moran fixed blade Spyder. I've used the upswept version before. But for me the TEMPERANCE 1 model is about my favorite old school Spyderco fixed blade.

I have thought that the Moran model would also be ideal for a Sprint Run in one of the newer Japanese supersteels we've heard about. It's been available in VG-10 for almost 20 years now and I bet it would sure make the model far more appealing.

I got to meet the late Bill Moran at two of the BLADE Shows>> he truly was a prince of a man and was very kind to answer my questions. He was a Hall Of Fame Knifemaker for sure.
Peter1960

Re: Spyderco Moran Fixed Blades: Your experiences, testimonials and feedback desired.

Post by Peter1960 »

This is the review I've written over 10 years ago ==> https://www.messerforum.net/showthread. ... Bill+moran
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:01 am
This is the review I've written over 10 years ago ==> https://www.messerforum.net/showthread. ... Bill+moran
Sorry I can't read much German :o I did learn to read a little bit when I was really going after those D.A.M. Quick fishing reels about 10 years ago. I probably ought to learn more languages>> we got so many people here in the USA now that speak Spanish I should learn it to see what they are saying about me behind my back :rolleyes:

I've heard that Rosetta Stone is a pretty good aid for trying to learn new languages. That looks like a most interesting Forum you are a moderator on Peter :) I used to have a lady friend that I worked with that could speak 6 different languages. However I've heard that is not uncommon over in Europe and other parts of the globe.

It is also interesting how that certain Spyderco models like the POLICE, ENDURA, DELICA and even this FB-01 MORAN model we're speaking of that seem to be popular all around the globe.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Haven't done any hunting for years, so I've only ever used my Moran Drop Point around the house but, if I ever was to go deer hunting again, I would definitely consider carrying it. Would love to see a full tang version in VG-10 with wood or bone scales and a stainless bolster,
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I also wrote up some impressions of the knife over ten years ago. :) I don't use the knife often, more as a type of kitchen knife when I'm traveling. Each time I use is, I'm amazed by its performance. It's an incredible slicer and the handle is very secure. My favorite is the droppoint version, as the shape works a bit better for me as an allround utility knife.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you all for these great feedback points! Please keep them coming.

What is also good about it is that it is sturdy and strong and has the great satin finish, and it does not have the "look" of a tactical knife, though if one needed I am sure it could be pressed into duty in an emergency for that use.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:22 am
Sorry I can't read much German :o
Dear JD, Thanks for your kind words! Maybe Google Translator is your key to understand my review. :)

Spyderco's company motto
SpyderEdgeForever

I used Google Translate:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ll%2Bmoran

Your review is excellent and superb Peter. One of the best knife reviews I have ever read. Thank you!
SpyderEdgeForever

Peter, I learned a great new word from the German version of your review:

Kratoneinlagen

:)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Each day a new word ... life is good to you. :p

BTW my review in German is not a version, it's the original. It seems even Google (as big US-company) has some troubles to translate in correct way (Nothing wobbles, nothing rattles, no sharp edges and the knife is easy his way into the "vagina" ... sheath would be much better :D )

Spyderco's company motto
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

I rarely post anywhere, but nostalgic connections prompt this foray to fill in with a niche Moran.

Here are pics of a "military' Moran, one of a special run for the USAF back in 2010, ca. 225 pcs. Instead of the G-Clip sheath, these have a sheath designed to attach to the USAF/ANG Survival vest. The mounting hardware was also used for the Gerber Expedition 1 knife.

Salute to my dear old friend/Thunderbird alum who also has one.

Thanks to Peter for his fine review, which brought back memories of University German with a female prof who taught me how to make anisbogen (etc!), and memories of old times with DLI German (among other languages, there in Monterey).

There are plenty of detailed reviews, so I'll add one cent. My favorite is the plain satin drop point, which is versatile and capable of fine duty with field use, hunting, camping, picnicking, an kitchen tasks. Great slicer with great ergos.

With my favorite Moran variant, the satin drop point:

Since I didn't post a photo with the orange Moran, here's one with a new orange military cousin. Peter or Reject or The Deacon no doubt have finer pictures of the full Moran panoply:

The Moran is a timeless classic which lives on as tribute to a fine man and knifemaker.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Nick, It is always a great pleasure when you show hidden treasures! If you were in my neighborhood I would hang about your fence hoping to catch a glimpse in your collection. :p

Spyderco's company motto
Reject

Post by Reject »

:) Got a few of them.

How much can a Koala bear?
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Great grouping, and fine photo, Reject. As always
Peter1960 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:26 am
Nick, It is always a great pleasure when you show hidden treasures! If you were in my neighborhood I would hang about your fence hoping to catch a glimpse in your collection. :p
It would be a pleasure to let you rummage around ad lib for your own enjoyment. I keep rediscovering things anew, though I'm unsure if that is more reflective of my collection, or my memory.
What were we talking about?
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Maybe a grain of truth in both, Nick. I've made quite similar experiences for my own part ... :D

Spyderco's company motto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Speaking of the fixed blade MORAN model I have a question>> this might be a DEACON or SAL GLESSER question but maybe some of you other guys who have been here for a while might know the answer as well.

I heard that the very first year of production that the MORAN fixed blade model was produced with a "convex edge"??? I never ever got that confirmed 100% but while we're on the subject I would like to know the straight scoop on it.

Also was the MORAN the very first Spyderco fixed blade or was there an older Fixed Blade Spyderco model that I'm unaware of? I'll leave all of that to the "Spyderville Historical Society" to give us the fact sheet on those two questions. Any other historical facts about the MORAN would be interesting as well.
fdahood

Post by fdahood »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:21 pm
I've owned both variants of that Moran fixed blade Spyder. I've used the upswept version before. But for me the TEMPERANCE 1 model is about my favorite old school Spyderco fixed blade.
Sigh, used to own a Temperance 2, and it was my favorite knife, but it got stolen a few years back when my house got broken into, and to my dismay I discovered it had been discontinued. Still looking for something to fill the void that it left.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The Moran is surprisingly light in weight and kind to the hand.

My Moran is my only Spyderco fixed blade knife.

For hog skinning, the upswept trailing point model would have been a better choice
but here is Cousin Dave using the drop point on a wild hog leg joint.
Do not click on this link if you are squeamish.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xqF7u ... no-tmp.jpg

The sturdy sheath has a versatile clip which allows the Moran to be carried
in many different ways, including as a boot knife.

One word of caution. When drawing the knife from the sheath,
it is tempting to grasp the sheath at the "finger choil."

Don't do that.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:56 am
I heard that the very first year of production that the MORAN fixed blade model was produced with a "convex edge"???
And you heard right ... ;)
BTW there were golden letterings on the high polished blade and it came with a well done leather sheath.
Also was the MORAN the very first Spyderco fixed blade or was there an older Fixed Blade Spyderco model that I'm unaware of?
Why are you in doubt about the Moran not beeing the first fixed knife from Spyderco. :confused:

Spyderco's company motto