Farewell, s110v.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Farewell, s110v.

Post by Pelagic »

As a relatively new guy to the vast world of blade steels, about 2 years ago I sought out to remedy my inexperience. Fast forward to today, and while I'm no metallurgy guru, I have a much firmer grasp on the many properties and uses of different steels used in knives. As a long time freehand sharpener, I didn't see why I shouldn't dive right into the deep end and see what these "super steels" are all about. It wasn't long before I had models in s110v, s90v, 204p, 20cv, m390, M4, and other high end steels. S110V stuck out for me, demanding my curiosity, due to its notorious reputation in the knife world. Couple this with having a job that virtually requires having a high performance blade (including cutting lots of rope), and i found myself carrying, using, and sharpening my military and pm2 in s110v regularly.

My first impressions of s110v were uneventful, as in, nothing astronomical jumped out at me immediately, especially considering the immense praise AND horror stories out there highlighting its edge retention and sharpenability. I attribute this to 2 main factors: always using diamond based sharpening equipment, thus initially not being able to notice the extra time it took to achieve a desirable edge, as well as me initially not realizing exactly how much grit/sand was in some of the rope I was cutting, thus not giving the steel a fair shake in proving its edge holding qualities. It wasn't until I attempted to put an extremely fine finish (0.1 micron) on the blade that I realized how tedious the sharpening process can be. In pursuit of an extremely keen, hair-whittling edge, s110v is certainly not friendly to skipping grits, and it definitely put my freehand skills to the test in regard to angle holding ability (something to which it's also not friendly). Even after decades of freehand sharpening, working with s110v augmented my sharpening skills immensely. A good portion of this was developing patience and realizing it's a virtue. Another good portion was the physical development of my hand, in terms of the endurance and muscle memory necessary for holding a precise angle for long periods of time. After receiving a new shipment of rope in at work and having to splice eye's in each end, I was finally beginning to be impressed with the edge retention of s110v. The rope is 4-5 inches thick and made of marine grade synthetic materials, somewhat similar to nylon or polypropylene, but stronger. I had not been impressed with s110v's edge retention previously because the rope i was cutting was often saturated with a serious amount of sand, silt and grit. To my delight, the brand new batch of rope was no match for my military, which before making a dozen cuts, had a coarse yet refined edge, brought to an extremely high level of sharpness. It would not shave by the end, but this was such an improvement over what I had witnessed previously that I was beyond content with the outcome. My views on the steel were beginning to change.

Of course, new rope isn't new forever, and it doesn't take long for sand to find its way just about anywhere on a dredge. So, in order to conserve my s110v knives, I purchased a Byrd Rescue 2, to be used on dirty rope and any cuts that I felt may yield damage to my blade. This system worked quite well, and I found myself not having to sharpen my military or pm2 nearly as often. Not only was I avoiding cutting extremely abrasive materials with s110v, but I was also actually able to give the sharpness a chance to last. Previously, I had to re-sharpen after any cut that involved the rope, so I never got a good idea as to how long the edge truly lasted. Throughout the following weeks I was thoroughly impressed with its edge folding capabilities. Typically I was sharpening s110v at either 180, 325, or 600 grit, and stropping with 1 (sometimes 3, sometimes 0.5) micron diamond compound on wood. Occasionally I would strop with 30 micron diamond powder, dry, on leather, simply to aid in burr removal. I occasionally found this beneficial when coming off the 180 grit stone. Other materials being cut included cardboard, zip ties, plastic, rubber mats/hosing, tape, cloth, copper wires, and occasionally wood working (ex: making a wedge or carving a handle). The steel definitely lived up to its expectations. There's no way I could participate in challenges like SurfinGringo's "No Sharpen November", but if I pushed it, I could possibly go 2 weeks without sharpening, which to me is quite impressive. Despite the challenges in sharpening, by this point I was wholeheartedly appreciating the properties of s110v, largely because I was finally using it as it is intended to be used.

I used s110v exclusively for about 4 months. The military (and occasionally the pm2) went everywhere I did, and didn't go a single day without use. I had the sharpening down (despite constant experimentation which still goes on to this day). I was familiar with and aware of the capabilities and limitations of the steel, and used it appropriately. All was well, or so I thought.

I eventually had a decent break from work, and found myself putting some other knives into my rotation. I did so, knowing I'd be sharpening more often, and may not be as pleased with the performance in comparison to s110v. While it's true that the sharpness lifetime of s110v would outlast any other knife I owned at the time, I found myself surprisingly impressed with edge retention and general performance of my other knives. And then there's the sharpening. All I can say is wow. After using s110v for so long, it had become the norm for me. It was like I had forgot how different other steels were. I picked up a Military in CPM M4 and decided to give it a good sharpening. I wasn't exactly re-profiling it, but I'd call it more than just a touch up. I couldn't believe how quickly the sharpness came up. I was only about halfway through the grit progression and the bite on the edge already nearly rivaled my best work on s110v (which is absolutely hair-whittling sharp). It almost felt like I was cheating somehow! I had similar experiences with XHP, s30v, 204p, and cruwear. Even s90v felt easy! The difference was noticeable. In use, I was also delightfully impressed with the edge retention of my other knives, in other steels. I had always enjoyed sharpening, but going back to steels with more sharpenability rejuvenated my love for sharpening. It's just plain fun to feel the apex and be impressed by the fruits of your labor so quickly. Most of the other steels may not compare to s110v in sheer lifetime of cutting ability, but their ratio of effort in sharpening to cutting performance is certainly favorable. I was beginning to look at blade steels differently.

Fast forward a few more months, and it looks like I will be getting a slightly different job, which will not require as much cutting, and what will be cut will not consist of rope. It's time for a change. I still fully appreciate high-carbide steels, but I am starting to appreciate steels with other properties as well. I will soon be parting ways with my military and pm2 in s110v. If I don't use a knife, it gets sold, and I see myself enjoying other steels for quite some time. This is the only military I own currently, and for me, life simply can't go on without a Military :D so I just pulled the trigger on the Ti/CF framelock Military from Knife works in s90v. I am also going to be the first person in line for a pm2 in Maxamet later this year. I am absolutely looking forward to both models, and cannot wait to sharpen Maxamet. I will also be on the lookout for select models in cruwear, DLC M4 (the jade BladeHQ Military is tempting!), m390, and various other steels. This knife hobby can be exciting, lol.

S110V was without a doubt a learning experience for me. This steel truly emulates the lesson "you only get out of it what you put into it". I am twice the sharpener I was 2 years ago, and am much more familiar with the concept of purpose-driven sharpening, in accordance with the properties of the blade steel, materials to be cut, and sharpening equipment available. I'm looking forward to further broadening my horizons regarding models and steels (Vanadis 4E sounds very intriguing!). I'm also looking forward to enjoying screaming sharp edges without almost giving my wrist a cramp! I absolutely don't regret purchasing my s110v knives. In fact, quite the opposite is true. I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. Now, I can only hope that whoever ends up with my knives can one day say the same; whether they're a knife expert or someone looking for their first Spyderco. Until we meet again, s110v.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JD Spydo

Re: Farewell, s110v.

Post by JD Spydo »

I have used the Para2 in S110V and I do like it for a plain edge blade steel. Both Crucible and Carpenter have some really awesome blade steels and I'm always looking forward to what comes down their product pipeline.

Spyderco is really great at providing their customers with a great selection of premium blade steels. At some point I would like to see some of the older fixed blade models like the TEMPERANCE 1 or STREETBEAT eventually be offered in one of the Supersteels.

I bet the STREETBEAT in S110V would literally "re-invent" that model :cool:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think steels like this really shine when you're able to achieve hair whittling sharpness at 600 grit or below.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:39 pm
I think steels like this really shine when you're able to achieve hair whittling sharpness at 600 grit or below.
I've got a sizable refund coming my way in February and I've got my eyes on some of those Shapton stones. I'm very anxious to experiment with those. Also there are some newer Japanese Waterstones I've looked at in the JapanWoodWorker catalog and I would love to try some of those on these supersteels as well.

I can get great results with my Spyderco ceramic stones on those supersteels but you sure have to work hard to get the desired results. We are truly in a new era of blade steels no doubt about it.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've had great experience with s110v, especially leaving it toothy. Great warehouse working steel.
Butttt, I liked m4 and k390 more for that.
And Idk, I've been more into steels that sharpen easier. BD1, VG10, Cru Wear, 3v, Hap 40, S30v, XHP, LC200n, etc.
Idk, my interest in spending all that time sharpening isn't appealing. I don't mind spending the time to reprofile but I don't want it to take that long, I guess lol.
I've been more into the more forgiving steels, the ones with balanced attributes, that can take a good polish or a good toothy edge.

Right now I've been getting the most pleasure from Hap40, 1095, CRK's s35vn, and cru wear.
I have 52100 coming in next week so we'll see about that.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:39 pm
Absolutely! A few times I've been able to whittle a hair directly off 325 grit CBN but can't replicate it with consistency. Very impressed with the slicing ability of that finish.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

This is a fascinating write up. Thanks for taking the time to tell this story. It makes good sense.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Nice story. I think you'd like the REX45 military.