Alcyone a sporty gentlemans knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Alcyone a sporty gentlemans knife

Post by sal »

Hi Zyla,

I don't think that's the question that our government is trying to solve.

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Well, on an apolitical note, thank you Sal and co. for not discontinuing these midels this year. I'm glad I have another year to get the Alcyone to make the pair. I know you all went throw some heat about these models when they came out but I think if people buy them and use them they will see what a great value these are.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

Just got my Polestar in the mail yesterday, in hand it feels like a Tenacious and Byrd Raven 2 had a baby haha.
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

sal wrote: Hi Cbrstar,

Thanx for the review and kind words. The Polestar and Alcyone are special projets of mine with much history on the design and the maker. Even the steel has a history. Glad you are enjoying the design.

sal
Thank you Sal, all your designs are beautiful and I really feel like these knives deserve more recognition.
elena86 wrote: Amen to that ! It reminds me of my history with the Byrd Crow. Such a refined design( Sal's I remind you) and such an underrated little folder that is. I was about to pull the trigger on the Alcyone a few times but... I don't know what stoped me... well, now I think I know. I was afraid that this semi-budget 60$ chinese made, would displace most if not all of my 100$ + spydies from my paocket. Anyway, that last scenery picture of yours pushed me over the edge. Nice writing cbrstar ... keep'em coming.
Thank you, that means a lot to me I wasn't sure if it was too much to add that last pic or not. The Raven is a knife that everyone who actually owns one raves about it, and yet not enough people try it out because of where it's made and the price. It's a different factory from the other Chinese made Spyderco's that make the Alcyone and I have a suspicion they also make the Raven.
kirill.sergueev wrote: When I decided to get myself first serious Spyderco I got in my local store and after long deliberation chose Polestar. Get it home looked a little bit and returned it in exchange for Endura with extra $10 or something. Was happy ever since and added few more Spydercos to my collection. Just did not get any traction with Polestar. Alcyone I did not consider.
That's one of Spyderco's greatest strengths IMHO they have a model that suits everyone's needs and budget. Personally a delica has been on my list for a while, and when I was at the store they also had a new Cat in the same price range. The Alcyone won out because when I closed my eyes it felt like a much more expensive knife. But that's just my own perception. Needs are also going to determine what people value for instance if I needed a fully serrated knife the Alcyone isn't going to cut it and I'd have to move up to a delica.
kirill.sergueev wrote:Sal, over the years you made more great designs of knives than perhaps anyone else since Neolithic time. But what is the difference of Polestar/Alcyone vs Tenatious/Persistence? They are like a puzzle "find 10 differences" in my opinion. Yes steel is nicer, and construction is good but budget Chinese knifes are not that much behind if at all. I spent three days playing with Polestar comparing it to Ambitious (ridiculous of me but it is the only Spyderco I had before) and I like Ambitious actions better than Polestar.
I can't help but wonder if the size difference has something to do with the ergonomics of opening it? It might just be me but I have a easier time spyder flicking my PM3 compared to my PM2 because it's slightly smaller.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Spyderhole to pivot dimensions are probably the most important variable, but handle shape plays in as well, and some pivots are slicker than others, plus detent balls seem to have differing amounts of friction depending on their tension and the steel they ride against...

My GB1 is proof against thumb hole flicking (at least by me) due to hole placement, my KW CF/S90V Millie is stiff because of lockbar tension and S90V, Manix all glide open because of the CBBL and immaculate tolerances, but my Polestar seems to be stiff from of a combination of very firm lockbar pressure and some residual thread locker gumming up the pivot.

When I got it the action was terrible, but after removing a bunch of thread locking compound from the pivot area and re-lubricating it, the action is much better, I assume that with use it'll smooth out even further, but haven't gotten there yet.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
kirill.sergueev

Post by kirill.sergueev »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:40 pm
Sometimes traction takes a bit of time and use to experiecne the design ans spirit of the model. Glad you're happy with the Endura.

sal
Sal, I decided to give another chance to Polestar. The trick was to get it dissembled and lubricate a bit. Action changes dramatically. Now I love it as much as I love my ATR-2 and D'Allara-3...
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

Does anyone know if the clip is unique to this model, or if other models share this design? Looking forward to getting one of these, and wanted to get a MXG deep carry clip.
sal

Post by sal »

kirill.sergueev wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:44 pm
sal wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:40 pm
Sometimes traction takes a bit of time and use to experiecne the design ans spirit of the model. Glad you're happy with the Endura.

sal
Sal, I decided to give another chance to Polestar. The trick was to get it dissembled and lubricate a bit. Action changes dramatically. Now I love it as much as I love my ATR-2 and D'Allara-3...

Thanx for the 2nd chance. Glad it's working for you.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:05 pm
It’s funny how some people assume that out of 2 billion people in China there isn’t anyone who can make something well.
It might be because people think with that many people they are tripping all over each other?

Lol Just kidding, most of us here know that they can do some good manufacturing but it depends on the company they are manufacturing for. For example Some Spyderco models are made in China they are budget folders but the quality is good because Sal / Spyderco specifies how they are to be manufactured.

Not all companies are going to expect what Spyderco does. So in many ways China's reputation is hurt by manufacturing to satisfy cheap specs and also their trustworthiness is suspect. Counterfeiting does not help their reputation.

As an American I choose to support my country's business interest and my fellow Americans ability to work and earn a living, so on principal alone I always seek alternatives to products from China whenever possible.

I have seen the very Expensive WE knives from China and just shrug. Nothing there I can't do without.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

alcyone is on my list still-
As for American v Chinese manufacturing...
They are all imports to me, the latter has been doing it longer though.