Do you Like your Spyderco Mint or Used

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kernelpanic

Do you Like your Spyderco Mint or Used

Post by kernelpanic »

I have been using a Delica in rotation with a Fallkniven TK4 as my main locking folders. Ive had the Delica for many years but lost it last week in the woods.
I bought a new one at end of the week, but it’s new, shiny and clean :( it doesn’t feel the same as my trusty old Delica.
Took me a while to figure it out, but I realised it’s because it has now wear, Patina dirt or sharpening.
So will be carryingand using extra to get that character built up again.
How do you like to keep your Spyderco’s do you like them mint or with use signs of wear.
Kev
bearfacedkiller

Re: Do you Like your Spyderco Mint or Used

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like my knives the same way I like my truck, my jeans, my sneakers and my hat all of which are well broken in.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I don't mind a user knife looking like new, but of course i will accept battle scars.
Would never deliberately "relic/shabby-chic" a knife to make it look worn.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Used, signs of wear, with Patina, but generally not mint ! (because like everyone, no one likes putting the first scratch on it !)

In addition, as above, well broken in, no hang ups, it becomes an extension of my right hand.

Re losing it in the woods, exactly the reason I decided to get a few more Endura 1's, want to keep my original
and not be scared of losing it. In doing so (buying more than just early Endura's), I have become so used to the plastic clip
it is taking some time to get used to metal clips.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I like an overall patina of use on a knife.

As Nitro said though, nobody likes that first scratch.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
kernelpanic

Post by kernelpanic »

I will be making a few bow and drill sets tomorrow to practice fire lighting in winter, then I have some work to do in garden so it will soon get some wear :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like them well used if they're already mine but buying I'd prefer new most of the time unless I'm buying from a trusted source.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kernelpanic

Post by kernelpanic »

Agreed I try to always buy new as its hard to know if the knife was abused by previous owner. But I do prefer my knives once I have allowed some wear to build up.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The first scratches on anything always suck, but after that the satisfaction of actually being able to just trust and wear what ever the product is, is so much greater. That being said, I'm currently trying to decide what to trim out of my knife collection, because lately I have been simply acquiring and then moving to the next thing way too quickly to really appreciate the in's and out's of the different designs/steels.

I honestly miss the days when I carried one quality blade for 8+ years, and even after that I would generally choose an EDC and carry it for at least a year and a half or so. These days I find myself just going to the pelican case and choosing a blade every few days or a week at a time at most...I would like to get down to 6-8 folders just to be more familiar/intimate with them and it also wouldn't hurt to free up all that $$$.

TLDR: Yes, I like to be able to tell that a blade has been well used and maintained...even if that doesn't seem to be the case in my current collection.
So it goes.
acer

Post by acer »

Users, happy to let the scars of use shine on through , but safe queens etc like to keep pristine condition. It’s nice to have a few things in this world that remain close to original condition as possible, but that’s just me . Soon be Christmas . Cheers
Tims

Post by Tims »

Cool thread that may provide some insight into the psychology of our members, the potential serial killers etc :D

I like ‘em mint but they never stay that way for long.
I’ve learned to find comfort in the freedom of a few scratches but man that first scratch sucks.
I also can’t tolerate carbon steel blades unless they’re laminated. ‘Controlled chaos’.
I try not to leave it up to chance so reprofile or sharpen new knives asap, it’s become a symbolic ritual of sorts that means it’s ready to use.

I’m not a serial killer, I swear!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I have a few mint traditionals but the rest have varying degrees of wear. You know it has been well carried and used when the rough g10 is smooth and shiny around the edges.
I like patina too. I never force a patina, I let the patina earn its place on my blade.
Wider edge levels, tips having to be re-tipped, etc. All good in the end.

I will say, the first scratch on the Slysz Bowie hurt.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Used.

I hate the way a factory edge cuts (Not singling out Spyderco here, I feel this way about 99% of factory edges).

To me using a nice knife with a factory edge is like test driving a high end BMW after dropping the tire PSI in half and engaging the e-brake the entire ride. You're never going to see the top level of performance the machine is capable of.

Being a fan of lockbacks and CBBL, both tend to smooth out considerably the first 6 months of use.

I often mod my knives to make them more suitable for the way I use them. Whether its a simple mod like making the tip pointier on a Pacific Salt, to something more elaborate like grinding off the spyderhole hump on an Ark, then converting the edge to a wharncliffe.

Lastly, I think a little clip wear, some mild scratches on the blade, and pocket worn G10 add character to a knife.
:unicorn
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

A few battle scars, wear from normal use, even patina make me feel at home with a knife.

A lot like visiting someone's house where everything is perfect, clean, and in its place -- you can never relax. I like visiting someone's house where it looks like they actually live there, not a museum or carefully manicured home for a real estate ad or sunset magazine.

At the other end of the spectrum, I don't like to visit a home where the resident is a pig or outrageous slob either.
kernelpanic

Post by kernelpanic »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:08 pm
The first scratches on anything always suck, but after that the satisfaction of actually being able to just trust and wear what ever the product is, is so much greater. That being said, I'm currently trying to decide what to trim out of my knife collection, because lately I have been simply acquiring and then moving to the next thing way too quickly to really appreciate the in's and out's of the different designs/steels.

I honestly miss the days when I carried one quality blade for 8+ years, and even after that I would generally choose an EDC and carry it for at least a year and a half or so. These days I find myself just going to the pelican case and choosing a blade every few days or a week at a time at most...I would like to get down to 6-8 folders just to be more familiar/intimate with them and it also wouldn't hurt to free up all that $$$.

TLDR: Yes, I like to be able to tell that a blade has been well used and maintained...even if that doesn't seem to be the case in my current collection.
I know what you mean, I went through a phase of collecting knives and rotated what I carried each day. I don’t do that now and only own a small amount of knives I use.
Since doing this I’ve found I’ve settled on the UKPK, Delica and TK4 along with my Woodlore knife as my users. I sold pretty much every other knife I had but just a few I’ve put away in a box.
I remember when I was younger and probably more active outdoors and the only knife I had was a Gerber Gator folder and had that knife for many years. I’ve been concidering going back to those days and dumping everything I own except the Delica in the box. In the U.K. there is little I really need a fixed blade for so probably could rely just on the Delica. Would help build those years of wear and character up quickly :)
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

My users right now are the standard PM2, DLC Shaman, and Spydiechef for when I'm feeling fancy / want a slimmer blade in pocket. With that said I do have some knives that are "mint" like the DLT 20cv exclusive PM2. To me it serves as a back up knife if something "unfortunate" were to happen to my PM2.

Plus, if I end up not using it and my regular PM2 lasts forever (I wouldn't be surprised because Golden quality)... Then
I'd either gift it to a friend, or sell it on Ebay for a low price so folks that missed out can have a fighting chance. Now my other knives on the other hand <.< Definitely curiosity got the better of me this year, and I wanted to explore a new hobby.. One that I have always had a fascination with since I was kid (Went through flea market bargain knife phase for a long time).

I'm quickly learning that playing around with different steels, and models is more fun than I would of thought... I know a lot more now then I did. Plus it's always interesting to see what Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT and all the other manufactures come up with.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:48 pm
I like them well used if they're already mine but buying I'd prefer new most of the time unless I'm buying from a trusted source.
I'm the same way.I always buy new,but i like the knife better after i put a little wear on it.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Used.
Justin
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

It all comes down to this: user or safe queen? The queens stay new in box because they are just passing through. The users aren’t “mine” until they’ve been used, sharpened, and often modified. My favorites have all been modified, but I use them first to determine how they can be improved for my needs.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I like my tools to show their usefulness.

Not that I don't have "collector" knives--I just use the ones I use, and they show it.