I need more Elmax in my life.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

I need more Elmax in my life.

Post by elena86 »

Good allaround steel I tell you that, given that it's properly heat treated.I love tough steels. Looking forward to purchase a Para3 and a Millie in Elmax. No exclusives please.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Re: I need more Elmax in my life.

Post by The Meat man »

I would love to see some more knives in Elmax.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would like a foliage green Military in Elmax.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Native 5 Elmax with linerless Foliage Green G10
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:37 am

An Elmax Para 3 would be a must buy for me, though a Military would require contemplation... I like the Millie as much as the Para 3, but it gets less carry time, so it's harder to justify having so many duplicates.

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:00 am

An Elmax N5 would be a nice introduction to the CQI Native G10, since I don't want one in S30V, S90V or S110V.

The logical next step of a Maniago made Ti/Elmax Urban would also be a guaranteed purchase.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

awa54 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:10 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

An Elmax Para 3 would be a must buy for me, though a Military would require contemplation... I like the Millie as much as the Para 3, but it gets less carry time, so it's harder to justify having so many duplicates.

Spydergirl88 wrote:

An Elmax N5 would be a nice introduction to the CQI Native G10, since I don't want one in S30V, S90V or S110V.

The logical next step of a Maniago made Ti/Elmax Urban would also be a guaranteed purchase.

I would kill for one :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd totally be in for a Ti/Elmax Urban. That would be a great sprint.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I've got the ti/ elmax pingo but admit I don't carry it.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have both the pingo and the squeak. I carry and use the Pingo, but rarely the Squeak. I'd love to have an Urban though--it would bump the Pingo 99% of the time.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

DBH recently started a thread about S60V being the American equivalent of Elmax. Perhaps this steel will works its way into some models? I'm assuming price and availability of S60V will be better than Elmax.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

awa54 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Spydergirl88 wrote:

Just to nudge you along, yes, try a Native 5 when the right combo is available. It’s a great knife. I didn’t add one (two) until late in my Spyderco life, but I’m glad I did. It’s such a sweet, compact package and actually gives you a hair more handle real estate on the flat part than the Para 3 does.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:20 am
awa54 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Spydergirl88 wrote:

I would kill for one :eek:
That would be awesome, but also $150+ retail. I'd love Elmax and G10, both for cost and usability. Also, a UKPK would be nice.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

mb1 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:56 pm
Just to nudge you along, yes, try a Native 5 when the right combo is available. It’s a great knife. I didn’t add one (two) until late in my Spyderco life, but I’m glad I did. It’s such a sweet, compact package and actually gives you a hair more handle real estate on the flat part than the Para 3 does.

Oh, I have an N5, but only LWs and the Ti so far... The weight of the steel liner version was a deal breaker for me, but now that there's linerless G10 I want to try one. My only real criticism of the N5 is that it's too thick behind the edge for my taste.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

awa54 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:18 pm
mb1 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:56 pm

Oh, I have an N5, but only LWs and the Ti so far... The weight of the steel liner version was a deal breaker for me, but now that there's linerless G10 I want to try one. My only real criticism of the N5 is that it's too thick behind the edge for my taste.

+1 We seem to have the same tastes... we both like the Urban(my beloved K390 Urban is my most carried) and both like thin behind the edge blades. I only wish they ground the UKPK thinner behind the edge. My S110V UKPK is 0.025 (17 dps) and my K390 Urban is 0.016 ( 15dps).
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

Yep, id be in for a Military and a Para 3 in Foliage Green/Elmax
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:

+1 A foliage green Elmax FRN Native LW would be awesome as well. Especially with a DLC coating. Really want to get my hands on some Elmax.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

If they ever change their tune about doing different steels in the Chap LW, this would be a great combo with some foliage green FRN!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Crux

Post by Crux »

Why is there no Elmax Para 3? I think this is a serious matter that needs to be addressed.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Yeah, I’m good. I have never been that impressed with Elmax. And with the tariffs on European steel, I think we have better options.
Crux

Post by Crux »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:26 pm
Yeah, I’m good. I have never been that impressed with Elmax. And with the tariffs on European steel, I think we have better options.
If they made a Para 3 with a chocolate (dark and a little sea salt) blade I'd be the first one in line to buy it. Elmax is a no brainer, but why do you bring tariffs into this polite conversation? I'm thinking you missed the definitive chart posted in another thread that clearly details whether you should buy any given knife, which is clearly bordering on phycological technical stuff I slept through, but kinda remember in scattered dreams. The chart shows that yes you should buy that knife. I really can't see any other option.

I say, along with an estimate of close to 20-50 million others, if it's a Para 3 then it can't be wrong. 50 million might possibly say YES!

The PM2 shines as well and is 99.2% not wrong, closely behind the Para 3 with Granddad Millie, Military for those that have had it so long they forgot what it's really called or pretty much the rest of us :) . The compromise I suggest, after being dragged out to a bar (don't judge), is that the Military should stay the same. If anything add a bayonet lug. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: